“Very upsetting and disgusting!!”
Review of Econo Lodge West

Econo Lodge West
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It was a big football weekend and they jacked up the prices so much when the hotel is suppose to be a reasonable hotel, but I went ahead and booked it since most of the hotels were booked already. What a mistake that was. The bathroom was disgusting it had little dead roaches inside the bathtub. There was a blood stain on the wall near the tub, we spent 2 days there and it was never cleaned. The borders that were tiles were also dirty and stained. The pillow cases were smaller than the pillows and the bed sheets had holes on them. I took pictures & I complained at the front desk they took the information and said that the manager would call us. It's been two weeks and the manager Mr. Doshi has not had the courtesy to call us back. I am extremely upset because this has never happened to us before in ANY hotel. I have left a few messages but that doesn't seem to bother them. I don't recommend this hotel to ANYONE!

Room Tip: Rooms need to be checked
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cukyncrm

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have not stayed at a motel (outside access) since 1993. So I gave an "average" rating because it was neither a poor hotel experience nor a very good hotel experience.

Stayed here after booking last minute for a Gator game. If you need a place to sleep and that is all you want to do, this is a low budget option. The free breakfast was minimal (waffles, coffee, bagels, cereal, OJ, milk) but filling - with little options for individuals with dietary restrictions (none in our party). Rooms were clean overall. The two couples in our group didn’t find anything dirty. There is room for improvement (see below) – but overall, not bad (I was pleasantly surprised) for a low budget hotel.

Room for Improvement:

Attach all fixtures to the wall securely.
Update all bed linens (it's 2012).
Update toilets (they use too much water and are constantly running).
Include some fruit items at breakfast.
Notify the front desk attendant that they should always take a proactive approach to service (visitors shouldn't have to ask for routine services).

Room Tip: Plan your trip in advance and book elsewhere if you have the opportunity.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan G
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was late in booking a hotel for my family to attend the Gator football game and because everything else was booked, we were stuck with this hotel choice. I understand that all the hotels in Gainesville raise their rates on football weekends, but what I paid for this hotel is beyond reason. It is a low budget operation. The structure and surrounding property has not been maintained. The room was worn out, unclean, and the linens were cheap and unclean. My daughter pulled the covers back to get in to bed and it was full of hair. The blankets on both beds had cigarette burn holes. The pillows were lumpy and mis-shapen.The room did not look like it had been fully cleaned. Unfortunately, it was 11:00 PM at night, we were tired and knew everything in the area, including this hotel was sold out. We were stuck. We slept on pillows that we brought and stayed fully dressed. The good news is that the AC worked. The next morning the shower was hot and the microwave and coffee maker worked. They do have free wifi. We chose not to check out the free buffet breakfast. This property is ready for a full tear out renovation. I will do everything I can to plan better in the future and not stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Check in early and inspect the room right away.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian N
Reviewed April 12, 2012

After a very cordial and welcoming check-in, found a clean, spacious room with a nice bathroom. Not luxury, but fine. It's located next to services such as a Walgreen's and a car wash, several restaurants. Only problem was tv reception, green and snowy. And it would help if hotels would give you the wi-fi code when you check in. The breakfast was very good, with a variety of choices, including the make-yourself waffles. The price was right and the people very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed for a few days and I have not ever had such a great stay.The rooms and service were wonderful,As the rate was reasonable,very clean room and our breakfast was yummy.All the staff was polite and friendly.I would very much look foward to another visit.we did enjoy the using the pool as it was nice and clean.I will tell our friends to be sure and stay at Econo lodgeWest for comfort ,the beds were nice and firm.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here with some friends and paid a great overprice because of a game in town. Don´t know exactly how much they charge but I wouldn´t pay much. It looks very sad, inside and out, in boring surroundings, pool looks just awful. Beds are okay, make sure you go for a quick shower cause you just want to get out of there real fast.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The whole property was ugly and rundown. The buidling was old and tired, the landscaping scraggly. The room was awful. It stank of mold combined with some kind of carpet powder. We made it a little better by running the AC at an uncomfortably cold level, but then it was unpleasantly chilly. The linens were so skimpy and cheap that there wasn't even a sufficient blanket, the pillows were old and shapeless . The furniture was chipped, scratched, dented, wobbly and in disrepair. The carpet was dirty and had tears and stains. The coffee tray in the vanity area was dirty and had spilled sugar. There were numerous hairs and dead bugs in the tub.
We discovered when barefoot that the carpeting from the bathroom/vanity sink area felt dampt to the touch for several feet. It probably explained the horrible dank oder, as if there maybe had been a flood which was never propertly dried. In any case, all the carpet deoderizer in the world just made it nauseating.
The whole property was shabby and disgusting. Would NEVER recommend or return. We were really afraid of catching something it was so repulsive.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family