“A Very Good Choice”

Quality Inn University
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I stayed here one night while on business, and was more than satisfied. According to the clerk, they recently renovated in preparation to convert to a Quality Inn brand. The paint and tile in the room looked brand-new, and everything else, while not new, was in good shape. I had a comfortable bed, got a good night's sleep, and a good shower. The free breakfast was typical, with waffles, boiled eggs, breads & cereals. They have motel-style outdoor hallways, but I felt completely safe & comfortable in that area. Located 2 or 3 miles off the highway, but right near the university and worth the extra couple of minutes for me. My room did not have a desk, but did have a table with chairs that was fine for eating or working on.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 21, 2009

I had to make an emergency overnight trip to Gainesville, FL to visit my father who was ill at nearby Shands Hospital. Although the property is a little older, it was clean, comfortable, conveniently located. The hospital as well as the university campus is barely one mile up the road. The furniture was also acceptable, and breakfast was delicious!

Definitely the best value compared to the other hotels on the same block. I recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We checked in at 10pm with 2 sleepy kids. We just needed a place to lay our heads for a few hours so I was willing to be flexible. Our "non-smoking" room REEKED of cigarette smoke. Like crowds of people routinely stay in this hotel and know the non-smoking sign next to the door is a big joke.

Well, we held our noses, literally, and thought it would be bearable just for the night. I am rarely around cigarette smoke so it gave me a screaming headache. Even found a cigarette butt on the floor!

Then, around midnight, the toilet backed up (with feces in it). My husband called the front desk and asked for a plunger. After plunging didn't help, I called the front desk again and was told there were no other rooms available but maybe she could wake up the maintenance man. Two little kids asleep at 1 am--no, I don't really want a maintenance man snaking drains in that little room. The night clerk was apologetic and assured me that there would be a discount for the room since we couldn't flush the toilet.

The next morning (after spending the night in a room that smelled like a sewer and cigarettes) I asked the morning clerk (a woman who smelled similarly) what kind of discount I would be receiving. Oh! The attitude I received from that woman!

"Well, darling, you should have told us last night."
"I did." (and I am not your darling)
"Well, you can use a plunger, caint ya?"
"My husband did, for over an hour." (you dried up old hag)

The place is disgusting.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
qualityinngainesvill, Webmaster at Quality Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn University for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Management staff was approached about making sure that the non-smoking and smoking rooms are what they are supposed to be.

2) The night clerk was commended for the courteous and trying to be helpful manner in which he treated our valued guests.

3) The morning clerk received additional training in the courteous, helpful and respectful way in which she is to treat our valued guests. I agree that calling you ‘darling’ was not appropriate.

4) Maintenance staff was instructed to see to it that the toilet in the room assigned to you is in proper working order.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn University. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed March 26, 2008

This is an older property, but we were looking for a reasonably priced spot for the night while traveling, not a resort. The room was clean, the office staff and guard very helpful and friendly, and they serve a basic continental breakfast. The room had a slightly stale odor, which you didn’t notice after a few minutes. We will stay again when we’re in the area.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hammonl
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed here in early July 2007. We sought an inexpensive property for an overnight as my daughter was taking a campus tour at UF. We were extremely pleased with this motel. It was clean, well kept and the service fine. The general appearance of the property is a bit dated, perhaps, but very clean and presentable. Extremely satisfactory for the price. Better than average complimentary breakfast also.

I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Willow-Jen
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2006

It is an average hotel and worths the money - not expensive, clean, with complementary breakfast, free wireless internet and a pool for relaxing. I like it. I've been there twice and I'll go again.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2003

My daughter started in U of F this summer,and I had stayed in that Hotel twice. I don't want to spend a lot of $$ and I just go there to shower & sleep. 1 mile from college.Rooms are clean/good water pressure in shower and the breakfast is very good...a/c works fine.For about $50/per night it is super. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2005