“Delicious!!! Don't miss out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Reggae Shack Cafe

Reggae Shack Cafe
Ranked #18 of 567 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Description: PARKING IN THE BACK
“Delicious!!! Don't miss out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Oh my... What a wonderful little spot.... The food was absolutely delicious... Portions were great... And service was fantastic. People we extremely nice and even fun. This was my first time here and definitely will not be the last! Would love to see this become a little chain...

Weston, Florida
“Huge portion, good inexpensive food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

We ate there last Saturday night because they have a lot of vegetarian options. We had no problem parking because it was raining very hard but I understand it can be a problem. The restaurant is very very casual. The service was nice and the portions enormous. Lots of vegetarian dishes. I had a jerk chicken that was very good. It is inexpensive. I will go back when breadfruit is in season!

Gainesville, Florida
“Dont do take out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I must admit, I love their food when its done right. Unfortunately its NEVER done right, at least when you are take out. I work on that side of town. We try to eat here. It never works out. They cant take a take out order correctly. If you try to customize your order at all, good luck. The people working there just dont care. Its a shame really, but this is spoken from experience. The fact that I tried to get a decent meal so many times, speaks to how good the food is, but they never get it right, and they get it wrong so badly I wonder if it only can be intentional. Sorry, I've tried so many times but you're not doing it right.

2 Thank Gatorshill
FL
“Service and food are now both excellent...still a loud place though”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

I reviewed this several years ago, and as I was reading over the review from then, I wanted to highlight several things that have improved over the past few years. Firstly, I should still saw that the food is still spectacular. Get the jerk chicken on the bone. It comes with plantains and stewed cabbage, both amazing. It also comes with rice and peas, but as a matter of personal taste, I do not eat those.

Anyway, a big complaint was the service in my first review. This place has really come into its own with service. The wait staff are all very friendly and attentive. There are still occasions where it is so packed that it takes a while to get food, but they really do manage their crowds much better. I highly recommend this joint!

Just don't go when you want a quiet meal.

Visited August 2014
Austin, Texas
“Fantastic food - but they need to fix their kitchen exhaust system!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

We love the food at reggae shack!

However, they really need yo do something about their kitchen exhaust system. The whole restaurant is usually filled with fryer smoke. We visited last Sunday for lunch - but were soon forced to take our lunch 'to-go' as the smoke became unbearable. So much for trying to get a Sunday lunch!

Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident as you can see from my past review. I have had many other friends complain about the same. It is a pity that the owners have not done anything to fix this issue and improve the ambience.

We will still get food from the shack - just cannot sit there and eat it!