“Must try if in Gainesville”
Review of Reggae Shack Cafe

Reggae Shack Cafe
Ranked #27 of 599 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Parking In The Back
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I were in Gainesville this past weekend for a football game and he wanted to try something just a little different than a chain restaurant. I was of course hesitant because I am kind of a picky eater. He looked the restaurant up on Trip Advisor and read the reviews and we decided to give it a try. I must tell you that it was the bomb! We had a 10-15 minute wait but it was well worth it.

We ordered some jerked chicken wings and the waitress warned us ahead of time that they were really hot but we wanted to try them anyway. She was not lying, they were hot as you know what, but very good.

My husband tried the oxtails which is a favorite on their menu and I tried the curry chicken. Both meals were off the chain! You had plenty of food, beans and rice and sauteed cabbage. Very flavorful and not too spicey. My husband said he could have had more of the oxtails they were so good. It did not take long for the food to come out which was a surprise to us because some of the reviews had indicated that it takes awhile for the food to come out but not this time.

The service was excellent and the wait staff was very friendly. By the time we finished our dinner, there was a line of people out the door and several people waiting to get their "to go" plates.

If you are in Gainesville for any reason, you have got to try this place. I'm glad I allowed my husband to make the choice because I was not disappointed!

1  Thank g8trfan4evr

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I would definitely visit this restaurant again. The only downside was that the food took a LONG time to come out. We went Sunday for lunch. I had the Brown Stew Tofu sandwich and it was EXCELLENT. I would've taken a photo of it but we were so hungry waiting for our food we forgot! The only other downside was that they did not allow any substitutions for the fries even though i wanted a cheaper side. The atmosphere of the restaurant is really nice and the colors are pretty. The waiter was really nice and offered to tell us a little about the menu without asking. If you are going on Sunday for lunch, expect a wait and make sure you are willing to wait for your food

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went here with my son and his roommate from UF. The service and our server were great and the food was excellent!

Have lived in and traveled throughout the Caribbean and I love Jamaican Curries and Jerk and this place has excellent dishes of both. I had a curry and my son had the Jerk Chicken. Would happily order either again but next time I'll have to try the either the Oxtail or Curried Goat!

They also have a completely Vegan menu if you are so inclined.

1  Thank dgpete
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Very fresh and tasty food. Nice variety of choices on the menu. Tried the oxtail which was excellent, served with rice and peas (red beans) fried plantains and sautéed cabbage which was seasoned to perfection. The jerk chicken was really spicy (not for faint hearted) but was very, very good. The jerk chicken was really spicy (not for faint hearted) but was very, very good.

1  Thank denitrip
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Very fresh and tasty food. Nice variety of choices on the menu. Tried the oxtail which was excellent, served with rice and peas (red beans) fried plantains and sautéed cabbage which was seasoned to perfection. The jerk chicken was really spicy (not for faint hearted) but was very, very good. The desserts are delicious. We tried the coconut cake and the dulce de leche festivals with ice cream. Good atmosphere, music, and great friendly service all around a must while in Gainesville.

1  Thank denitrip