“Pleasant surprise!”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am extremely picky when it comes to hotels, and never stay in Best Westerns, but this is what was available, so we booked it. I thought for $289/night, it can't be that bad! Was able to check into our room at noon on a Saturday. The front desk clerk was very courteous. All the staff were very friendly. This is a pet friendly hotel, which is also why we stayed here. Our room was clean, everything was new, no sign of previous pets. I saw the previous review about the mattress (again something I am very picky about) and my bed was great! The pool was fantastic. The Gator's Den sports pub was great too. I was worried that it would be loud at night after the Florida game, but didn't hear a thing! There is free internet. The free breakfast was just okay. The only reason I did not give it an excellent review, is that I think the price was steep. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Gateway Grand

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Had family of 6 for football game and reunion. Motel service for all areas was TOPS. Would definitely stay there again. Hospitality, service and facilities were excellent. Reunion banquet meal was good . Appearance and facilities were all I could expect. Would stay there again if I was there again. If I had to find one thing to say negative, it would be that it was closer to the university.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here because arrangements were made for me. My practice has been to stay away from Best Westerns. However, the exterior and lobby really surprised me and I thought that maybe they had turned themselves around. Once I got to my room, yes, it was the same BW accommodation, so I will not voluntarily be returning. Glad I did not pay for it and by the way the prices this weekend were greatly inflated due to football events. Let me get to the positives. Check in was fine, staff were courteous. The king room was huge and had a bathtub, unlike rooms complained about in the review and the room the clean. Linens were clean and towels in good shape. The water pressure was good in the shower. Electrical outlets were in convenient places. The remotes were in a sanitized sleeve, the frig was a nice size and the layout of the room was nice. Though I did not use it, the pool side area really looked nice. Wi-fi was free though I chose not to use it. So with all of this, what makes me still not choose BW? The mattress was truly horrible! I barely slept all night trying to find a comfortable spot. It felt as if I were sleeping directly on bed springs. Another post complained about the mattress and I totally agree. For me, a bad mattress is a deal breaker. A hotel should get this one thing right! In addition, housekeeping should turn off alarms. Mine went off (and not a pleasant alarm) and it took some time to figure out how to stop the noise. Additionally many hotels are getting away from these bright LCD displays on the clocks right by the bed. BW Needs to do the same. Furnishings are drab. Walls are thin. Toiletries are budget quality. Breakfast is very meager continental. I chose not to eat there. Upon checkout in better hotels, I will often be asked if everything was to my satisfaction; but no one here asked. That cued me to the fact that BW just does not know how to obtain customer satisfaction. Training would help. I would have shared this with their management rather than post here. So in summary, I cannot recommend a stay at this hotel if either sleeping or eating is on your agenda.

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had really good luck with the Best Westerns in Oregon this year so we thought we were on a roll. We booked after reading the TA rating of 4, as I have come to rely on this source. The first thing we noticed was the grungy carpet. (3rd floor) We overlooked the carpet. I decided I was too tired to complain about carpet. Then I checked the bedding, making sure there were no critters in there which I always do.I threw back the bedding and discovered a huge (20" dia.) reddish stain on the mattress right where I would have placed my pillow. Did someone die on this mattress? What could this be? That combined with a dirty toilet seat sent me running for the front desk. The clerk was apologetic and gave us another room on the 2nd floor. The room smelled better, cleaner like bleach. The bed passed inspection. Unfortunately we didnt discover the dirty toilet seat until morning. That was gross. We spoke to the manager and he said he would report this to housekeeping and gave us a $25 credit towards the room which was priced fairly high for what we saw.Although that was a positive gesture, I really feel that we will never try another Best
Western.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We were driving to Tampa. Did not make it all the way. Ended up last minute deciding to stay somewhere in Gainesville. We lucked out with this room. It is clean, and the bed is bed bug free and comfortable! This will be our new stopping point. P.S. look on priceline for cheap deals!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here and was totally pleased with the hotel and quest services. The rooms are nice and very comfortable. It is located right off the interestate and was conveniently located. Room was very clean and quiet. BW is always a hotel of our choice!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thanks so much for the great comments. Hope to see you on your next trip to Gainesville. Ron

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The BW Gateway Grand just hosted our wedding reception and our out of town guests. It was by far the most wonderful service we and any of our guests have ever received. Our reception was in their ballroom and the food was outstanding. Jorge Negron, director of catering, took care of us and our guests and made us all feel special. The entire banquet, front desk, kitchen, housekeeping staff were superb! I would recommend this hotel and their staff to anyone who needs hotel rooms in Gainesville. Also, best banquet food ever! Cudos to the entire staff

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Congratulations on your wedding. We hope you have many, many years of happiness! The Gateway Grand hosts about 40 weddings per year and we take great pride in making the day special for the bride and groom. I will pass along your nice comments to the department managers to share with their staffs. Hope to see you on your 1st anniversary. CONGRATULATIONS! Ron