“best place in gville to stay”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

wonderful stay, nicest place to stay in gville area, pool was like being at a resort, restaurant/ room svc was excellent (one of best burgers ever had) staff is nice and professional, breakfast area very nice, will be back

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank GaFlaGirl

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We drove from Elmira, Ontario to Gainesville, Florida April 26 - 27, 2013. This overnight stay at Best Western was the best place to relax and enjoy ourselves. The Customer Service, Room Service, Pool, Hot Tub, elaborate Continental Breakfast that gave us a "Delighted Customer" experience. Clean, tidy and quiet rooms, included a mini-fridge, overwelming. Attached Resturant was a bonus with nice selection of food and drinks. Thanks

Room Tip: Ground Floor, close to pool
1  Thank Joe K
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful comments! We strive to give that "Delighted Customer" experience. I'm very glad to hear we've succeeded and hope to see you on your next return trip to Florida. Ron.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I ended up staying here due to a flight cancellation and delta airlines paid for it. I was not expecting much but it exceeded my expectations. Free shuttle to/from the airport and free breakfast, super large room with king size bed and couch, microwave, refrigerator, I had a pool/hot tub view from my room and I utilized the hot tub at night. I also ate at the attached bar/restaurant and my meal was wonderful. 2 beers and a sit in the hot tub and I was relaxed. I thought my room and entire hotel and grounds were very clean. Staff was nice, although I didn't need much interaction with them. I have no complaints and I would surely stay again.

Room Tip: First floor right on a corner led me right out to the pool area ;)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your excellent comments. I'm glad the amenities of the hotel were able to relax you after a stressful delay at the airport. We hope to see you again if you're in Gainesville. Next time hopefully it will be under better circumstances. Have a great day. Ron.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I came to Gainesville for a medical procedure and needed to stay nearby for 4 nights. My mother and daughter were also with me. I wasn't expecting much because my room rate was so low but I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice establishment this was. We had a normal 2 bedroom room on the second floor. The hotel room was basic, we had two different cleaning attendants one was fantastic and the other could of done a little more vacuuming but overall the room was very clean. Especially the bathroom, I am easily grossed out by bathrooms and as part of my treatment I needed to take baths, I was not looking forward to do this in a hotel room. But the bathtub was extremely clean (along with the rest of the bathroom) and I felt very comfortable taking a bath and giving my daughter a bath. The hotel breakfast was very nice every morning, it cost $3 if you want an omelet or scrambled eggs, but it was enough to feed the three of us. The also had for free bagels, pastries, boiled eggs, jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches, cereal, and make your own waffles. We ate breakfast every morning at the hotel. The pool was great too! I wasn't expecting it to be great but it was really nice. We enjoyed going to the pool every day. They also had a nice fitness room that I utilized every day, it's small with two treadmills, a elliptical and bike and some weights but it was clean, there were flat screen tvs, two very clean bathrooms and water. Overall it was a very nice stay. The staff was friendly and helpful and my daughter loved the afternoon cookies!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Ron G, General Manager at Best Western Gateway Grand, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am very glad you had a nice stay in our facility and we hope to be of service to you again in the future. Have a great day. Ron.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Used hotwire for the first time and snagged a great rate. Upon check-in, I asked for a king size bed and was told by the clerk (his name tag said night auditor) that priceline and hotwire customers always get double beds (looking down his nose). Never, ever again will I stay in a Best Western. I need attitude like that like I need a root canal. Lots of competition out there. Other than that, the hotel was fine, restaurant was surprisingly good, but I repeat, I don't pay money for attitude. Next.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else, the extra $50 you save ain't worth receiving attitude from some front desk...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank capitollobbyist

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry but the very low priceline rate is not eligible for our suites, king premier or king delux rooms. I will make sure our front office manager reviews procedures for telling guests this in a constructive pleasant manner to all desk clerks and night auditors. Thank you. Ron.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived late afternoon without a reservation and were immediately offered a large room which we accepted. Upon closer inspection there are smaller rooms in the hotel, at a smaller price but we were happy with the room we had. Large, clean, comfortable. The hotel itself caters to small meetings and is thus much more spacious in the lobby area than most roadside hotels. They have a terrific outdoor pool and hot tub which we couldn't use because of poor weather but others were using the hot tub regardless. There is a decent restaurant attached, which is a good thing because nothing else is within walking distance. Front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The only thing they might have done is tell us about the smaller rooms and smaller price, but perhaps none were available on this rainy night. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about the pricing for the smaller rooms vs. the larger ones.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david g

Thank you for your nice comments. We do sell out quite a bit, and I'm not sure if that is the reason the front desk did not mention the other smaller room but I will make sure our front office manager covers the issue on his next training session with the desk. Have a great day, hope to be of service to you again. Ron.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights while we were on a diving trip at the local freshwater springs because this hotel was central to our diving locations and 20 min from each of them.

(The Good): The hotel grounds and outside were appealing and well kept we noticed as we first arrived. The front desk clerk and staff seemed friendly and helpful. The hair dryer in the room we were given caught fire and burned up the first time we used it and the staff at the front desk offered us another room without hassle until that one could be replaced. Breakfast was pleasant (standard continental, yet for $3 extra an attendant would make a pretty darn good omelet for you which we tried and liked.) Pool area was clean and well kept. Bed Sheets were clean and smelled fresh.

(The Bad): The room was not cleaned thoroughly. Upon arrival we found hair clinging to the shower walls, the tile floor was gritty feeling and when I went to unpack my suitcase of clothes and put them in the dresser drawers I stopped because there were several wads of hair in the bottom (yech!!!) so I just left all our clothes packed in the suitcase. The carpets are stained and look dirty in our room.

Overall thoughts - I was able to obtain this room at a large discount through an online travel site so I'm not going to blast this hotel. They are doing a lot of things right here and it wasn't bad...not at all. We would stay here again for the price we paid. I would offer to the hotel management however that if they want to go from being average to great, that they upgrade the room furnishings, clean or replace the carpet and closely inspect the room cleanliness after the cleaning staff finishes.

2  Thank Atomic-Style

Thank you for your comments. I will make sure our executive housekeeper is aware of your comments. They will help us with our training program within housekeeping. We hope to see you again. Ron.