WINNER WONDERLAND

BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Biggest Best Western we've stayed at”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is definitely the largest BW we have stayed at and we were rather concerned when we found out our room was in the area of the convention center with its rental rooms. However, we had no problems with noise at all. Check-in was fine. We had already scouted the area for restaurants so we didn't ask about that. We were using BW reward points so the room rate didn't apply. That was good since it was a football weekend and we know the rate would have been very high. Our room was very nice and very clean. The bed was comfortable. The main problem was the bathroom layout--tub and toilet in one room and a sink outside that. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but there was literally no bathroom counter around the sink which is very difficult for travelers. Breakfast was continental though we did find out after the fact that there were some heatable breakfast sandwiches--wish we had known! It was a good stay overall and we'd stay again for one night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Even though we were there on business and not football, we were satisfied with the hotel. It was very quiet in our room and that was a big plus. Other hotels in Gainesville are always raucously noisy on football week-ends and sleep is disturbed. Other Pluses:: is the friendly service and the nice, adequate breakfast. On the Negative side is the small size of rthe oom and bathroom. However, everything was clean and tidy. Furniture is a little shabby in the room, but everything appeared well polished and clean.

It waa nice that there is a restauant there along with room service.

Room Tip: For football fans-I understand that they have a shuttle to and from the stadium. This is a major pl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ellenwood, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel, UF Homecoming Weekend. First, I was very disappointed that I had to sign a Football Form, even though I was there for a funeral. Next, I had to pay a ridiculous expensive amount in advance if I wanted a room. The mattress on the pull out sofa was the worse I've ever seen. The HVAC was another issue. It blew hot air, when it was suppose to be cold, and cold air when it was suppose to be hot. The breakfast was good, and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Valdosta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I knew something was wrong when we walked into our room and found garbage under the desk. You could see it from the threshold of the room door. There was a clear 1"in wide line of dust on the floor running along the baseboard. Clearly this is from not vacuuming sufficiently.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marcus1776
Ron G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gateway Grand, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We schedule housekeeping staff on until midnight each day. If an item is overlooked a quick call to the desk can help solve most guest needs by sending the houseman to fix the problem or if rooms are still available, we would be glad to move your room if it is desired. I will share your comments with the housekeeping staff and trainers.
Higginsville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Price was higher considering it was a football weekend, but still compared well to other area hotels. Staff was very friendly, hotel was clean and breakfast was best i have seen for free breakfast. Has shuttle service to and from football games, it is a little distance from the stadium, but stadium parking is very limited. Bar/restuarant on site was great, food was excellent and reasonably priced. I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your excellent comments about the Gateway Grand. I will share them with the managers and staff at the hotel. We will be increasing the shuttle service to next years games and adding a sign up section to our football form so advance reservations can be made with the shuttle. We hope to see you again on game day.
Stuart,Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just as a previous reviewer stated, we were given a handicapped room after using Hotwire. We asked for another room and were wold the hotel was sold out. The room was not as comfortable as a regular room as mentioned in the other review because the bathroom had no counter and only a walk-in shower which was fine, but water was able to spray under the curtain. Anyway, I guess that is their policy if you book through one of those websites.
There is a free breakfast which was extremely crowded. The offerings were minimal, but you could have an omelet made to order for $3.00 which was large.
The hotel was very nice looking, pleasantly decorated and had a nice pool area. The carpeting was soiled-looking in the hallways. For the right price, it is a nice option. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently traveled to Gainesville for business purposes, and this hotel accepted my Priceline bid. I was bidding on a 3-star hotel, and looked forward to my visit after reading reviews of the hotel. When I got to the hotel, parking was plentiful and the lobby was really nice. The pool looked refreshing too, and the breakfast area was large and comfortable.

I was assigned a handicap accessible room. It smelled really musty when I entered the room (my sinueses starting going crazy), and the bathroom had a sink with no counter space and a cold-tiled shower, which are great for those in wheelchairs but not for able-bodied people who didn't ask for this kind of room. Since I have allergies that were bothered by the room's mustiness, I called the front desk and asked for a different room; and I was told that I was only eligible to stay in accessible rooms due to how I booked the room. Unless I wanted to pay more money, that is. So the hotel holds itself out as a 3-star hotel to attract people to it, then gives them their lesser desirable rooms after they take the bait. I asked again for a "normal" room, and was told there was only one available but that I could have it for no additional charge.

I do appreciate this accommodation being made after I asked for it, but I would have preferred to have been placed in a normal room to begin with.

Once I walked in to my new room, it felt like a completely different place! It was clean, the air was fresh, and I was very comfortable. I slept well, enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, and appreciated the free wi-fi access. Access tot he hotel from I-275 was very convenient, too.

My only other issue was with the fitness room. I went to find it after dark, and located it on the very bottom floor (almost like a basement, if you can call something in Florida a basement), quite secluded. It and a closed spa were the only rooms down there, and though it was a great private place to work out, it felt a little too secluded. Some people may like that, though!

Room Tip: If you don't need an accessible room, ask to not have one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on our hotel and the Priceline selection of rooms. Out of the 152 rooms that we have at the gateway grand, 77 are priced at a standard rate and available to Priceline or other opaque web sites such as hotwire, etc. Since the Gateway Grand is very busy the 65 rooms with two double beds usually sell out first followed by our accessible rooms. We do consider our accessible rooms as normal rooms and they are requested a lot by people that do not have disabilities. The king deluxe, king premier rooms and suites on the property are not available to opaque sites and do cost an additional amount. If a certain type of room is required then we can guarantee the room if booked directly with the property or Best Western International. I am glad we had the one double left that we were able to move you to. Thank you for your excellent comments and we hope to serve you again when in the Gainesville area.