“Beautiful place, hard for semi to park.”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Great rooms, large and nice. Huge Harley dealer across street. Quiet location.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our neighbors and I spent the weekend at this ovely hotel. Be sure to get a room facing the pool. Rooms are very clean with no odors. This is a great getaway close to our destination....Gennie Springs Tube Rafting. It's only 10 minutes to Gennie Springs - a hotel guest suggested this tubing site and we had the best time ever. We'll defintely be back and will stay at the "Gateway
Grand". Hotel staff are very professional and so helpful. The breakfast is free and the omlet station only $2.00...where can you beat this price? Where in Florida can you feel you are in the mountains. The backdrop of this hotel right off the Highway is so pretty.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the time we arrived, we were impressed with this hotel...attended a class reunion and the service was fantastic! Our room was extremely spacious and had everything we needed, including a very nice "welcome" poem! Breakfast was wonderful...in addition to all the usual offerings, there was a chef who prepared to-order omelets for only $2...delicious! Banquet facilities were impressive (as was the food!!), and the pool area was beautiful. The entire facility was extremely clean...definitely to place to stay when you're in the Gainesville, FL area!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 328...very quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2011

The staff at this hotel are all very nice and helpful. We brought our small family dog with us and this hotel was able to accomadate us. They did not try to price gouge us like other hotels tried to. They had a charge of 20.00 which was a reasonable fee. The room was clean and nice. Thank you to all who made our visit to your city an enjoyable experience. We hope to visit your establishment again soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank baileyboo4
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is the 4th time we stay in this hotel since 2000. Maintenance is always very good. Rooms are very clean, linen fresh, front desk very efficient and breakfast fresh and tasty. The shampoo and conditioner are "botanics", and are very good. The room has a good size bed, enough storage space and two sets for putting the suitcases on. No safe in the room or at the front desk.
The pool is nice, and so is the small public sitting area at the entrance, which we used few times. The hotel is always quiet. It's located close enough to the exit of route 75 and easy to get to anywhere in Gainesville.
The downside is that the windows are not opening, so one must use the aircondition while in the room. The aircondition is so loud, we had a hard time hearing each other when we were near it (=by the bed).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I'm actually sitting in the room of the Best Western Gateway Grand as I type this. Why? Because as soon as I woke up from my HORRIBLE night, I wanted to write a review somewhere! To be fair, we did get a great rate on this hotel through a discount travel company online, but if I had paid full-price for this room, I would be even madder than I am now.

On the positive side (before I get to the list of con's), the hotel itself is quite nice when you pull up and I was impressed by the lobby and the general look of the hotel...especially considering it was a Best Western. When we got to our room, it was small, but nice enough (again, I took the price that we paid into consideration). They also offered free high speed internet access (although it was pretty slow while using it).

My excitement about the room died when it was time for bed...the BEDS were SO BOUNCY that every time I rolled over or my husband rolled over, we bounced all over the place. My back is killing me - so if you have back problems anyway, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! It was bad enough with our discount price - DON'T PAY FULL PRICE!!

I was awake about every half hour, as was my husband. My lack of sleep was due to the bed. His lack of sleep was because they installed something in the room called a "senso-o-stat". Bascially, if there is no movement in the room (i.e. you're SLEEPING) the A/C turns OFF!! Let me remind you, this hotel is in FLORIDA. It was amazing how stale the room became in just a few minutes. But seriously, who installs something like that in hotel where the rooms run between $90 - $109?? He was jumping up every half hour so it would kick back on!

Basically, don't waste your money staying at this hotel unless there is no where else to stay. My advice to Best Western? Get new beds and ditch the sense-o-stats! How cheap do you have to be to put those in the rooms? And on a side note, you might want to train your employees on what NOT to say to customers. Thanks.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steelbootpirate
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I'm very surprised at the great reviews this hotel has received. The hotel looked nice from the parking lot and the common areas were inviting and appealing, but once we got to the room - it was a dump. Room and furnishings were very old and not well maintained. The carpet in the room was heavily stained and slightly damp in some spots. Beds were very small and uncomfortable. Bedding was inadequate; one very thin "blanket" that was not warm at all. Breakfast was complimentary, unless you want eggs or waffles- extra charge for those (?!?!?). Overall, very disappointed. The only positive was the rate - got it on hotwire for $54 a night. Not sure it was even worth that, but at least glad I didn't pay more. .

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family