“good hotel”

Best Western Gateway Grand
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is the 4th time we stay in this hotel since 2000. Maintenance is always very good. Rooms are very clean, linen fresh, front desk very efficient and breakfast fresh and tasty. The shampoo and conditioner are "botanics", and are very good. The room has a good size bed, enough storage space and two sets for putting the suitcases on. No safe in the room or at the front desk.
The pool is nice, and so is the small public sitting area at the entrance, which we used few times. The hotel is always quiet. It's located close enough to the exit of route 75 and easy to get to anywhere in Gainesville.
The downside is that the windows are not opening, so one must use the aircondition while in the room. The aircondition is so loud, we had a hard time hearing each other when we were near it (=by the bed).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 19, 2011

I'm actually sitting in the room of the Best Western Gateway Grand as I type this. Why? Because as soon as I woke up from my HORRIBLE night, I wanted to write a review somewhere! To be fair, we did get a great rate on this hotel through a discount travel company online, but if I had paid full-price for this room, I would be even madder than I am now.

On the positive side (before I get to the list of con's), the hotel itself is quite nice when you pull up and I was impressed by the lobby and the general look of the hotel...especially considering it was a Best Western. When we got to our room, it was small, but nice enough (again, I took the price that we paid into consideration). They also offered free high speed internet access (although it was pretty slow while using it).

My excitement about the room died when it was time for bed...the BEDS were SO BOUNCY that every time I rolled over or my husband rolled over, we bounced all over the place. My back is killing me - so if you have back problems anyway, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! It was bad enough with our discount price - DON'T PAY FULL PRICE!!

I was awake about every half hour, as was my husband. My lack of sleep was due to the bed. His lack of sleep was because they installed something in the room called a "senso-o-stat". Bascially, if there is no movement in the room (i.e. you're SLEEPING) the A/C turns OFF!! Let me remind you, this hotel is in FLORIDA. It was amazing how stale the room became in just a few minutes. But seriously, who installs something like that in hotel where the rooms run between $90 - $109?? He was jumping up every half hour so it would kick back on!

Basically, don't waste your money staying at this hotel unless there is no where else to stay. My advice to Best Western? Get new beds and ditch the sense-o-stats! How cheap do you have to be to put those in the rooms? And on a side note, you might want to train your employees on what NOT to say to customers. Thanks.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steelbootpirate
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I'm very surprised at the great reviews this hotel has received. The hotel looked nice from the parking lot and the common areas were inviting and appealing, but once we got to the room - it was a dump. Room and furnishings were very old and not well maintained. The carpet in the room was heavily stained and slightly damp in some spots. Beds were very small and uncomfortable. Bedding was inadequate; one very thin "blanket" that was not warm at all. Breakfast was complimentary, unless you want eggs or waffles- extra charge for those (?!?!?). Overall, very disappointed. The only positive was the rate - got it on hotwire for $54 a night. Not sure it was even worth that, but at least glad I didn't pay more. .

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Margarita223
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I bidded on priceline. Hotel is clean,and staff is friendly and helpful. Nice pool and jacuzzi. Close to interstate. Rooms are small and beds not real comfortable. Rooms are inside. Free internet. Not the greatest but not terrible either. Got a good rate. Has a bar and restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kristen9275
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I stayed 4 nights here and had a nice stay. I was in a business plus room that had a couch and extra room that made it comfortable. The breakfast had a good variety of food and offered omlettes for an extra $2; a good deal. There was a descent work out room, pool, and hot tub. I had no issues with the wireless internet. Since I am a light sleeper, I thought the fan in the room was too loud however this is my only complaint. The hotel is not very close to UF/downtown so keep this in mind if you don't have a car. Call ahead for the complimentary airport shuttle.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank melc12
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel over Easter weekend and had a wonderful stay. The only negative was that the bedding really needs to be updated. However, access to Interstate 75 is very easy, the facilities are lovely, the large pool area was very inviting, and the Sunday morning breakfast was delicious. I read in some of the reviews that the hotel charged for eggs and waffles; but that was not the case for us. There were not only waffles and hard-boiled eggs...but they also had biscuits and gravy, fruit, doughnuts, cereals, etc. And the large breakfast room overlooking the pool area was a beautiful place to begin our Easter Sunday celebrations.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teacherkh
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed for a weekend during a wedding at the Best Western Gateway Grand. Rooms were nice. King rooms are much nicer than double rooms. King rooms have separate couch and sitting area, and have flat screen televisions. Double rooms do not have flat screen televisions and separate sitting area. Beds and bedding should be replaced; they just aren't up to a level that one would expect in a hotel nowadays. Housekeeping was very poor. They weren't efficient at cleaning our room timely, and they did not do a very good job when they did clean. Wedding was exceptional. Service staff was very friendly and food was surprisingly tasty.

• Stayed: March 2011