“Depends on What you Order” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille

Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille
Ranked #5 of 565 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Thank you for visiting Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille! A distinctively different menu, the food of Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille captures the essence of a city not only known worldwide as the birthplace of Jazz but also the birthplace of a unique style of cooking. We've taken the best of Cajun, Creole and Southern flavors infused with a current day twist to create some of our most popular dishes like Shrimp and Scallop Orleans, Grilled Chicken Baton Rouge, Crab Crusted Blackened Red Fish, Bourbon Street Salmon and French Quarter Beef Tenderloin to name a few.
davie
“Depends on What you Order”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

About 7:00 P.M. April 25th, we were nicely greeted at the door and seated right away. I ordered the Shrimp Creole which is shrimp simmered in a spicy, but savory blend of vegetables and creole tomato sauce. My husband ordered the Pecan Crusted Trout which was seared and served with their "voodoo sauce". I thought that my shrimp creole was delicious though quite spicy! My husband said the trout was simply average. When presented with the trout, I couldn't help but think that it was a plate full of batter as it was easily an inch thick! The waitress was most friendly and professional. The service was good. The place was extremely noisy, which made it difficult to carry on a conversation. The menu seems to offer a nice variety of dishes.

• Visited April 2013

Helen, Georgia
“Relaxing atmosphere and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had never been to downtown area so a little lost. Plenty of spots to park but we were not quite sure where Harry's was. Stopped someone at the corner who was in waitstaff outfit and asked her. She worked there! Took us in, up to the check in and told them to give us a good seat. Even came back to check on us later. Food was great, did not rush us so we could relax, eat and talk.

• Visited April 2013
Gainesville, Florida
“Good food and pleasant atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have eaten at Harry's a number of times. As yet I have had no unpleasant experiences and have fully enjoyed the food, good service and atmosphere.

• Visited July 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
“That's Cajun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently, I was in Gainesville for a work related Conference. I heard that this North Florida college town had a flourishing restaurant & gourmet scene, so I was kind of excited. As I like to explore and promote restaurants that capture the essence of the city, I was the guy chosen to pick a place where staff, Board members and conference attendees should go. After calling and texting friends who lived in the area for a day, it was agreed that I ought to try out "Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille." In addition to being a place for doing business and entertaining clients, they are known to take the best of Cajun, Creole and Southern flavors and infuse them with current day twists to create popular Louisiana dishes.

When I called to make reservations, I was told that they didn't take them. This was unfortunate as it was on my checklist to secure a restaurant. However, upon talking to their manager on the phone, they were willing to be flexible and work with me. So that was nice.

When I walked in, the atmosphere was pretty nice for a casual chain. It was very cozy with primarily booths and soft lighting... both of which are attractive. Upon looking at the menu, I saw that they also donated $1 for every Po'boy purchased in February. The money is donated to the Florida Association of Food Banks, which is a partnership of 14 food banks that serve all of Florida. It is nice to see a restaurant that gives back to the community.

For appetizers, my table ordered the Mussels Saint Charles. These mussels were mixed with sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and white wine sauce. I usually like simple skillet roasted mussels with kosher sea salt and olive oil. This variation, however, had a pleasant Creole touch. We also ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes which were crusted with corn flakes, covered in both chipotle aioli and crumbled feta cheese.

For my meal, I ordered the Jambalaya. This is their signature dish and it is mixed with shrimp, chicken & sausage. Ideally, I wanted brown rice. However, all they had to accompany it was enriched white rice or pasta. The dish was HUGE, but it wasn't abounding with any complex flavor and it didn't taste as fresh as real New Orleans seafood. In fact, I had a suspicious feeling that much of it came from a tin can. I had to even add hot sauce.

My table was very diverse. Seated was a group of people with Chinese, Cuban, and Puerto Rican backgrounds. In spite of this diversity, EVERYbody was happy. The menu catered to this diversity with an extensive menu of fish, crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, ribeyes and tenderloins. Indeed, I was happy to have chosen a restaurant where nobody complained. Usually, there is always somebody that complains. Nobody did this time.

The waiter was attentive, pleasant and also kind of cute. He had this "Portandia" look to him.

Overall, it was not a bad experience; it was not a great one either. If I considered going back to this downtown restaurant and give them another try, I would like to try their Bayou Grilled Shrimp.

"When the taste changes with every bite and the last bite is as good as the first, that's Cajun." - Paul Prudhomme

• Visited February 2013
Copenhagen
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had the most wonderful time, when I had dinner here. The food were nothing short of perfect. The waitress was amazing, she was involved and competent. She even managed to make me feel young again, when she needed to see my ID, eventhough I do look as the 32 years I am.
This is the place to eat in downtown Gainesville.

• Visited August 2012