“Vegan Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Top

The Top
Ranked #3 of 567 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: the TOP / prepped daily / fresh & local ingredients / see you soon
Starke, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Vegan Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were told about the vegetarian food there, so we went out to try it. The corn nuggets are to die for. We are vegans and we ate these delicious treats knowing it had eggs in them. They tasted to go to be true so we asked if they were vegan. Our waitress informed us they were not but we couldn't stop.
I had the Tempeh sandwich with buffalo sauce, my husband had the falafel burger. The food was very nice. Good value for the money.
They told us the wait was an hour and half but we were seated within twenty minutes.
Excellent pina colada.
This place is a must try, plenty of meat and seafood dishes to choose from.
Great atmosphere.

1 Thank Sammi W

Gainesville, Florida
“Surprising Tripletail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I had never eaten Tripletail, but it was on the "daily specials" menu and the description of the green tomato, avocado, tequila salsa intrigued me so I asked the waiter about it. He said that tripletail is a whitefish much like grouper, with no strong "fishy" taste. He also said that the wait staff had sampled it earlier in the evening and that he had enjoyed the dish. I ordered it and was very happy with it. The salsa was excellent and complemented the fish nicely. It was served with grilled asparagus and fingerling potatoes which were also very good. My husband had the pork belly, served with green beans and corn maque choux. We've only recently tried pork belly at a restaurant in St. Augustine and liked it. The Top's pork belly is well-seasoned and its outer layer is heated to a nice crisp. The maque choux was the best I've ever had outside of my own recipe prepared at home, spicy and flavorful, but the corn was not smothered by other flavors.
Service was very good and when we asked for bread with our meal our waiter took the time to ask if we would like for him to have the kitchen grill it. We opted to have it grilled, and it arrived in less than 3 minutes. Full from our meals, we determined to try the Carrot-cranberry cake and were not disappointed. I would have liked decaf coffee with the dessert but they don't serve it; hot tea was offered though.We will definitely return.

1 Thank FCCoop
Gainesville, Florida
“Never disappoints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Top restaurant captures the essence of Gainesville. Quirky wait staff, tasty vegetarian ( and vegan) menu choices in addition to offerings for the carnivore, a full bar, amazing and lots of beer selections, daily specials, and delightful desserts (if you have room). The wait for a table can be long at times, but it is worth it. Reasonably priced. Pesto gnochi, salmon, black bean cakes, burgers....mmmmmm. The Top is tops!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank gatormom1313
Hawthorne, Florida
“Why is this place labelled vegetarian? Sooo much more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had heard of this place for a few years, and had been somewhat reluctant to visit as everyone always refers to it as "The vegetarian place to go". Primarily a carnivore, was not motivated to visit, but after last night could make it a regular place. There is an emphasis on vegetarian items, and add on protein options to pasta dishes start with non meat choices, but that's only the start. Starting out with the 1/2 & 1/2 fried pickle/jalepeno appetizer, both our dinner meals were delicious and unique. Although we did not partake, I was pleased with the expansive beer/wine/bar menu. There is an outside patio as well which would be nice on comfortable evenings. I had been warned that the waiters/waitresses can have an attitude as take it or leave it, since they know the place is always full, but was very pleased with the attention we were given. Forgot my to-go box and a waiter that didn't serve us chased us down on the street to find give it to me. Thanks!! Parking a little limited out back and as available on side streets

Central Florida, Florida
“Good vegetarian options. Good beer and wine.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We recently ate dinner one Saturday night at The Top and enjoyed the experience. We arrived around 5:45. There was still street parking available and plenty of free tables. Happy hour is 5-7pm so you get $1 off the beer and $2 off a glass of wine. They have a fairly large wine selection and a medium-large beer selection that leans toward the heavier beers or IPAs. I thoroughly enjoyed my pecan encrusted tofu steaks with broccoli and mashed potatoes topped with a mushroom, garlic, and wine gravy. It would have been nice to have more of that gravy so I could put it on the steamed broccoli. My friend had the Copia special that came with shaved fennel on a bed of spicy garbanzos. This entree was less successful. The fish smelled and tasted very fishy. We told our waiter, Chris, about the smell and then asked for some lemon to tame the fish smell which helped a lot since they weren't offering us any other options. Although the garbanzo sauce was flavorful, the beans were not fully cooked. This dish was one of the "specials" on the back of the menu. I think if we ever go back, we'll avoid the "specials."
The place is tastefully, if rather usually decorated. There are 2 rooms and an outside area. One room is smaller and is filled with tall wooden booths, the other room has the bar and is larger and filled with tables. The lights are a little low, but not too dark and the noise level during happy hour is reasonable, especially in the booths. Someone with hearing problems would be able to participate in the conversation. It was a little chilly, so if you tend to get cold, bring a sweater or jacket.

Visited October 2013