“Nice property, but....”

Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed November 6, 2013

First off, I'll start with the positives. I stayed for one night for a business meeting. The hotel is very clean and the staff are extremely warm and welcoming. The Boardroom was quiet for our meeting. After the smoke alarm went off and we had to go outside, they came into our room to assure us that we were safe. The room was very spacious and clean. The tv channel lineup was extensive for a hotel room.

There are a few negatives. First off, when I walked out of the tiny airport there was a van shuttle from the hotel. I asked the driver if I could use the shuttle and he told me that it was only for pilots. Really? He was empty and it's a TINY airport, so there couldn't have been more than 2 pilots in the big van. I ended up taking a very sketchy and scary cab ride for $30 to the hotel. I'm terms of the room, you can hear everything around you. It was right next to the elevator, but they were booked so I couldn't get another room. The noise from the elevators kept waking me up. I could hear the tv in the room next to me and the people walking above me. I was in room 214. Avoid it.
In terms of cost, it was a total of $149 a night. Considering it's not a full service hotel, I found that a bit steep even if I expensed it. I didn't have a choice where to stay, but I've stayed in full service hotels that are beautiful for a comparable (or lesser) cost.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid ceiling noise. Stay away from elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Hotelier22, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I want to begin by thanking you for your review. We truly strive to make our property a “home away from home.” Each employee is dedicated to providing our guests with the exceptional service that you have become accustomed to.

Please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. This is certainly not the Hilton Garden Inn experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you.

Please contact me directly if you plan to visit the Gainesville area in the near future and I will see that you enjoy the finest in service and accommodations.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We traveled to Gainesville for a concert on campus. The HGI was selected because of proximity to I-75 and reviews that indicated that it was quiet (both are true). The HGI shares a parking lot with Homewood Suites, whichever gives the best rates is a good choice. These hotels are also mainstays for visiting athletic teams competing at UF. Good news was that this was pretty transparent--we saw the athletes but never heard them (yea!). The facility has everything that you need from free parking to a pool to really nice rooms. THere is a real restaurant in the lobby that puts together a good breakfast. BE ADVISED--if you have to drive across Gainesville to the University, time you rtrip to be outside rush hour. The bumper to bumper traffic both ways was very unexpected. It took about 30 minutes to get from the hotel to the center of the campus.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity as for a room facing away from the Interstate. We faced the Interstate...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I appreciate the great feedback for the Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville, FL and have passed it along to our team. We continue to strive to make each and every stay great and are gracious for feedback to know when we have succeeded. I hope you continue to stay with us when you are in Gainesville in the future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My first stay at this HGI property was a good one... clean, comfortable, quiet room.. convenient and safe location just a bit off the main road.. great breakfast buffet (although a discount for HH members would be nice).. courteous and helpful staff.. only dig was a somewhat worn-out mattress in need of replacement soon. Price was about average for this type of property and location. Overall, I would definitely stay here again when in Gainesville!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your recent stay with us and also for taking the time out to let us know about your stay. We love getting feedback from our guests and hope the next time you visit Gainesville FL, we will be your first choice.

If there is anything my staff or I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The front desk service was excellent, especially the women in the morning. They were a joy to talk with. Anything I asked, they made every effort to get done, including adding an extra bed topper to make the new bed a little more cushy. We left in the morning and when we came back there was an extra topper and a nice note to let us know it had been done. The hotel was very nice and very clean. The bathroom was pristine. I just wish they had make-up mirrors and hand held shower heads. The room was typical with lots of space and several outlets, although I still could have used more. It has a microwave and a fridge with a tiny freezer compartment. There's only one lamp between the beds so if one person wants light at night, the other person gets it too.
Breakfast by the main lobby was very good. Gold members get free breakfast, otherwise you have to pay for it. A very nice gentleman was making omelets to order if you knew to ask for one as there was no sign letting people know it was an option. There were scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, juice, good coffee and tea, grits (no cheese for the grits), oatmeal, cereal, waffles, some sad, dry muffins and pastries, and Yoplait (non-vegetarian) yogurt. There were several ladies taking care of us at breakfast, bringing extra juice, getting us ice (there's none readily available) and removing used plates.
The hotel is off the main road so we didn't have road noise problems. It's behind a strip mall with a Target, Best Buy, and Trader Joe's all within a block. It's also a block away from the Swamp Head Brewery. There are plenty of places to eat and by car it is about 10 minutes from the Gainesville UF campus or about 15 minutes from downtown.

Room Tip: Chose a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, away from the elevators. I think we had 428 which was good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel if very nice, very clean, friendly staff. We stayed with the bed and breakfast option and it was fantastic. The breakfast was not your typical buffet of cold cereal and donuts. We had cooked to order omlets, waffles, fresh fruit, as much bacon as my daughter could want, and she loves bacon. We will definitely return anytime we're in Gainesville. As some reviews said, the beds were a little soft, which causes me a lot of back pain, but that's pretty typical for most hotels so I take plenty of Motrin with me when I travel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Hotelier22, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Reviewed November 1, 2013

overall i consider Hilton garden inn is quite good place to stay. room is bib and convenient. the only thing i didn't like is no shuttle bus for the hotel and i needed a taxi every time need to go out. i have been to state before and where i stayed they do provide shuttle bus system which is very convenient

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Very good hotel. It was very clean and quiet. I liked the free WiFi internet connection and used the gym several times. Also, it was right off of I-75 and there were plenty of restaurants to choose from nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business