“Live theater at it's best!!”

The Hippodrome State Theatre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hippodrome State Theatre is the architectural centerpiece of Gainesville's Historic downtown and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The main stage theatre features the work of award-winning thespians and presents some of the best theatre in the country. The Hippodrome also houses a visual arts gallery, a cinema featuring first run artistic and foreign films, and a full service bar.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have had season tickets to The Hippodrome Theater for over 20 years for a reason. The folks that make the place magical are all very special. I loved it when I was single....it was always a great evening out. Now that I have married, it is one of my husband's favorite things to do.....we live 30 miles out of town now, so that says a lot! The actors, staff and ANYONE affiliated with it are all so talented.......they seem to all wear many hats.....and seem to do a little of everything really well. I always look forward to their interpretation of whatever the play is....it is NEVER what I expect.....pleasingly so......I love the intimacy of the small venue.....always do......you should try it out. The little movie theater where they show films is neat too. Snacks and a small bar make it fun too!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Extraordinary theatre - actors, sets, the cozy little theatre itself. It's been many years since I've been even the slightest disappointed in my experience.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Hippodrome is a small theater. It is a very intimate setting that brings the play to life. I loved the small arrangement.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just recently watched a superb rendition of "Avenue Q" at the Hippodrome. We had seen the traveling Broadway version a few years ago, and this local version was just as good with the added benefit of every seat in the house having a good view. Thanks to UF, there is a richer supply of talented, creative people in the Gainesville area, and the Hippodrome does a good job of tapping that potential.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Small but nothing small about the quality...so good the intimacy of the setting can be too much in intense productions.