“Pitstop”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Columbus, Ohio
“Pitstop”
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stopped off for the night on our way back to Ohio. We were pleasantly surprised with the size of the room. It had 2 double beds and a living room area. Very clean and quiet. The breakfast was pretty good but definitely not fine dining. What can you expect from a hotel? The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011
SHSGainesville, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take all comments about our hotel seriously. I know that there are many choices when you pull off the road and we are pleased that you choose the Springhill Suites. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and if we can do anything to make your future stay with us more enjoyable please let us know.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Deltona, Fl
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We were very happy with our win on Priceline! Priceline has it rated at 2.5, but I would rate it a 3 on their scale. Checking in early was no problem for the friendly front desk clerk. In fact, we had a choice of floors. It was Easter weekend, & possibly not as busy as other weekends, altho there was a female college softball game & many of the Alabama players stayed here.
The location was great, right off I-75, with many restaurants & bank atm’s close by. Also convienient to the U of F.
Springhill is under the Marriott umbrella & is comparable to a Hampton Inn or Hyatt Suites
We loved our room & our king size bed, which we found comfy. Nice kitchenette for anyone staying a few days. Everything was clean. No complaints on that! I do wish there was an exhaust fan in the bathroom, but we have noticed that many hotels are without them these days. There were no hand towels, but 3 extra washclothes by the sink. We used these, but we could have always called for towels & I am sure we would have been accomadated. We just thought it was odd, but not a big deal.
We didn’t have any noise problems at all. I’m not sure if we had guests on either side, but if so, very quiet. Never heard any noise from I-75 either.
We usually bring our own wine with us & we poured in our room & took them to the pool area for a relaxing evening. We didn’t swim, but the water looked nice & clean. There were 2 rafts that I wasn’t certain if they are supplied by the Hotel or a guest left them, but they did look inviting. Also lots of towels by the door & a cannister to throw your wet towels in. I appreciated the security of having to use your key to enter the Hotel & the pool area.
There is a nice complementary breakfast included, with many enjoying their fresh waffles.There are plenty of choices including scrambled eggs, toast, muffins & sweet rolls, yogurt, cereals & lots of good fresh coffee. I wasn’t quite sure why others complained about the breakfast, but I find that if something is free, I treat it as a gift.

Room Tip: I always bid on Priceline after doing research.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take all comments about our hotel seriously. I am very please that you had an enjoyable stay with us. If there is anything we can do in the future please let us know.
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is a new, very clean property in Gainesville. This should be a 4 (not 3) star place, but a few minor annoyances, which I brought to management's attention, discounted the rating. I am hopeful that they will fix them, as I'd love to go back. The rooms are spotless and the staff is willing. The Springhill layout is very nice, with a work/living room "nook" and very comfortable beds. The small dings were for little things: both treadmills in the workout room didn't work, which was a bummer. The staff didn't know how to fix them. There was only one wastebasket in the room, which was annoying to try to find early in the am with family asleep. (None in bathroom and none near sink.) There is no bathroom fan, which would have been nice. Finally, there is a very nice walk-in closet, which would have been a great dressing room (traveling with teenager, it would have helped), but there was no light in it, so I fumbled around. All of these things would be easy to fix and I'm amazed that Marriott, with its market research and attention to detail, didn't have these things nailed. Anyhow, by the time you get there, I hope the exercise room will be working and there will be waste baskets in the room... I realize these points sound picky, but in the aggregate they were annoying and, fixed, they really would have helped on this trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chris32137
SHSGainesville, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to Review our Hotel. We take all Comments very seriously so that we can make sure that everyone has a comfortable stay with us.
I would like to Apologize for some of the diffucults that you did happen to run into during your stay. Both trend mills are now in working condition and I will be passing ur other comment along to our Housekeeping Manager, and Engineering Manger to see what we can do, to fix some of these little annoying issues.
PLease contact me if you have any questions or if your are in the gainesville area so that we can make you next stay as comfortable as possible.
Livermore, California
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Despite some "meh" reviews we found this place to be a gem. Room was very clean and well appointed. Decor was appealing, TV conveniently located, room was spacious. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was solid and quiet. Free wired internet. The location near I-75 and Archer Road is convenient. Publix, DQ, nice restaurants and sports bar are close by. Room rate was good for the quality received. The free breakfast was fine, perhaps in response to earlier luke warm reviews. My only suggestion to management is to add signage on I-75 because on first looking for this property we could not find it easily. Now we know where it is and will stay on next FL trip. Good stopping place to or from S Florida.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SHSGainesville, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your Comments and Taking the time to sit down and write a review. We take all of our Comments seriously so that we may try and make our guests stay comfortable as possible.
Regarding our comments about signage, a few months ago we have a brand new billboard that is up on Archer Rd. facing I-75. It is on an rotating billboard , so its possible to miss, but we are trying to get something up on I-75 in the future.
Please feel free to contact me, if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more enjoyable.
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We have stayed at your beautiful facility in the past. This trip, we experienced less than perfect service. On the second night after being at the race track all day, we noticed that the used towels were gone and not replaced with another clean set. We only had one wash cloth and one hand towel plus the bath towels. The plastic cups that we used the night before were not replaced with another set of clean cups. We resorted to using the coffee cups in the room. We only stay at Marriott's when we travel and again, we have stayed at the Springhill Suites in Gainesville in the past and never had a bad experience. The breakfast bar was in dire need of tidying up when we visited it. My husband said the scrambled eggs tasted like rubber and I noticedthe waffle maker caked with spilled batter. There were attendants in the back, but they weren't keeping up with the cleanliness. We will likely use this facility again because it is so convenient to all that we need when we visit Gainesville.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I would first like to start off by saying "Thank you" for being a return guest, and then apologize for your difficulties during you last stay. I will be relaying your comments to our Housekeeping Manager so that he may pass it on to the housekeepers. I also Apologize for the unappealing Breakfest bar. I will be sure to pass this along to the attendents so that they may pay more attention to the Cleanliness of there ares.
I also would like to thank you for your comments, as we take them all very seriously. Please feel free to contact me on you next visit so that we can make sure that you have an enjoyable stay.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Being nit picky here, but (here's a clue), that's what successful business is all about! Care about the Little things and repeat business will follow.

1. Moldy shower curtain - why?

2. Breakfast: adequate, no meat. Coffee was tastless, and I mean tasteless. I saw no fruit either, and there was less of a selection than is typically the case in a Marriott brand hotel.

3. Mattresses, when you sit on them, do not move. No spring, just flat. One can tell these are not top of the line or even close. I woke up vey stiff and sore, and you know that's one thing you must have, a good sleep!

4. And can someone tell me why a hotel would only have a Weather Channel (not that this is a good channel anymore anyway with all thair poor changes, but in a less than suburban area there is also less to choose from weather-wise...) feed for the national audience? What's that all about? We don't need to plan for our visit in the local area by looking at what's happenig in NYC. I find that decision presumptious and cheap. Cater to your local clientel - wherever you are selling the room.

Conclusion: I've been in a lot better - in fact, late last year stayed in the same hotel but in Tallahasse and it was absolutely wonderful. This Gainesville Springhill Suites was not anywhere near that rating.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
SHSGainesville, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
I would like to Apologize for the issues you ran into during your last stay. We take all of our comments very seriously; so that we can keep improving our Guest Satisfaction.
There is absolutely no excuse for a moldy shower curtain, also with the breakfast we are currently trying to figure our new was to broaden the buffet as well as to stay in the Marriott Guidelines. I also would like to Apologize for the Mattress, not being to you liking and also not having more of a local channel variety. We are in the stages of an action plan to do improvements to the hotel and the Mattresses and our cable are in the plan get improvements.
Please let me know if there is anything we can do to give us another try.
Sincerely
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The hotel is right off the Interstate, but is quiet and exceptionally comfortable. Our room was wonderful: clean, bright, well-appointed with sofa, chairs, tables, and wet bar separated from the sleeping area. The King bed was provided an excellent night's sleep for both of us. We really enjoyed this well-designed room and would happily stay here again. The breakfast was hot and served the standard eggs, sausage, bagels, toast, and waffles. Everything in the hotel is clean and sparkling.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
SHSGainesville, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all Comments and Feedback for our Hotel. If there if anything we can do for you in future Please feel free to contact us.