Thought I'd give myself a little extra room while in Gainesville and try this Hilton property instead of the HGI. Check-in was painless and the young lady in the late afternoon was everything a weary traveler needs to remember that this is a hospitality industry. And then to the room. In the bedroom a large (4 foot by 2 foot) metal access panel for the air handler was hanging by one bolt, jangling against the walls. There was a gap running the length of the bottom of the tub that was from 1/8" to 1/4". I don't want to know what was living in that dark, damp space. Housekeeping had a Green Cleanser Party and didn't remove several ounces from the tops of tiles running along the floor and wall. And with the first flush, it was time once again for The Hilton-Niagara Toilet Marathon. I made a quick call to the Front Desk (it was 8pm) and the clerk said she could give me a plunger but she didn't know how to use it and really didn't want to learn on a hotel toilet. After 6PM there is only one employee on site. Seems strange when it's an extended stay property. But then, this was the first where I'd experienced a charge to use the laundry facilities.
The black-out drapes were off the rod guides and stuck in the open position. And doncha know there was a security spotlight directly outside?
These things were nearly minor inconveniences. Well, compared with certain surgical procedures and active labor. But in the morning I discovered that the hair dryer and the iron tripped the GFCI in the bathroom. (Separately, mind you. I'm not that daft.) Another call to the Front Desk and a chat a few minutes later with the Jolly Maintenance Man.
'I'll just have a look in and use my Lock Out Tool.'
-What's that? The receptacle is tripping the way it's supposed to and can be reset but there's evidently a problem and the entire thing needs to be replaced.
'Naw, I just need to use my handy dandy Lock Out Tool'
(I checked and that Handy Dandy Lock Out Tool prevents the GFCI from tripping the circuit so this gentleman has just admitted to circumventing an important electrical safety feature and an NFPA 101 code requirement. Pity the unlucky guest who gets fried while drying their hair or ironing a shirt.)
Large, dark stains on upholstered sofa and chairs. Ugh.
Guest fax machine: Front desk staff are unaware that you can fax to toll free numbers. The machine has to be fed individual sheets in a precise manner or you'll have a new fax per page. The Front Desk fax machine isn't much better.
And one final suggestion: would someone please give Noel, the day shift Front Desk clerk, the antidote to her Personality Botox? The only time she took an interest in Life was when one of the guys came out from the back office. Otherwise she made it very clear that she didn't want to know and couldn't be bothered with an emotion above apathy. Perhaps just a bad day. Or three in a row.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Homewood Suites by Hilton® Gainesville hotel in Florida is an upscale, all-suite hotel situated off I-75 at Exit 384 not far from the University of Florida. We are conveniently located in Gainesville's popular restaurant row area, where guests will find excellent dining options and a variety of other local tourist attractions nearby. The Homewood Suites Gainesville hotel features 103 suites, including 11 two-room and 46 one-bedroom suites with separate living and sleeping areas, along with 46 studios. Each of our spacious suites offers all the comforts of home and a great range of amenities that you deserve for a short or extended stay in Gainesville, including: * Fully-equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker * Two televisions * DVD player * Complimentary wireless and wired high-speed Internet access * Two phones with data ports * Iron, ironing board and hair dryer. Join us for excellent guest accommodations and quality temporary housing. Our professional and friendly staff is available 24-hours a day to make sure you have a splendid stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Gainesville hotel. Make Yourself at Home!® ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Homewood Suites Gainesville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Gainesville Hotel Gainesville
- Homewood Gainesville
- Gainesville Homewood Suites