“Walls and Ceilings are paper thin”

Homewood Suites Gainesville
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Clearwater, Florida
“Walls and Ceilings are paper thin”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I'm a Hilton's Honor Gold member and book Hilton hotels everywhere I go (business or leisure). I usually prefer the Homewood brand as it's like a home away from home.
On this occasion, I booked 3 rooms for family members for a wedding. The night before, I requested an early check-in (1pm) for at least one room so we can put our bags in relax, etc. before the wedding shower. They said it's not guaranteed but will do their best.

Well, of course when we arrived at 1pm, they could not accommodate my request. We waited in the lobby for an hour before we could get 1 room...2 hours for the next and finally at 3:45, got the 3rd room. I was very disappointed.

I learned that rooms were available (1 Bedroom Suites) but they could not help me out because we paid for Studio Suites. What's my Gold status for? I have been a very loyal member to Hilton for many years and they could not help me out on this occasion?

Enough of my venting...now the facts:
- This hotel was clean and well-maintained.
- The front desk staff was not rude but not overly-friendly.
- The walls are very thin (You can hear people walking down the hall. You can hear doors slam as they're being shut. They need to be spring-loaded or something. Constant SLAM after SLAM after SLAM.)
- Ceilings are paper thin. (Heard every step from the room above, unless obviously, you are on the top floor.)
- The breakfast was limited to a few items. (* They did have waffles though, a plus!)
- Breakfast staff was very friendly.

I will not be returning to this hotel on any future visits to Gainesville, due the fact of the noise level in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dillonguy4
Dustin C, Manager at Homewood Suites Gainesville, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Gainesville FL property. We love getting feedback from our guest and use it to improve our service and amenities. We hope the next time you visit Gainesville, FL we will be your first choice and if there is anything we can do to better your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

352-225-4760

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
palm bay, fl
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel because we were in town for my daughter to have surgery at Shands (UF Hospital).

The hotel was very clean, the staff friendly. The location is great - next to everything. You won't be bored many stores and restaurants.

The hotel does offer breakfast in the morning and light dinner at night included in the price of room. Great Deal!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 22, 2009

From top to bottom, we couldn't have chosen a better hotel to stay for a long basketball weekend in Gainesville. Close to everything (including the campus, a 5-mile drive), this hotel is a can't miss. Pricing was very commendable and I considered this an excellent value.

Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Homewoods are our favorite chain and this was our 2nd stay in one on a cross-country road trip. We're a family of 4 on a military move from Alaska to Florida. Our military rate for a studio suite was $99 before taxes, $108 after. The studio suite is more a room with a kitchen and pullout couch vice a multi-room suite. The hotel is very convenient to the Interstate if you're just passing through and is pretty close (not walking distance) to the UF campus. There are stores and restaurants all around the hotel.

Homewood is a great brand and is nearly always dependable. This hotel currently rates #3 in Gainesville but is a 3-star while #s 1 & 2 are lower tier hotels. I have no doubt that this is one of the best, if not the best, chain hotels in Gainesville. I would recommend this hotel, but here are a few notes from our stay:

Noise from above. I say try to get the top floor because if you have someone above you, you WILL hear them. It's not a thunk either, it's a creak. Luckily, the people above us went to bed before we did and got up after we did. In other words, we knew when they went to bed and when they woke up. I didn't complain, but when I was in the lobby I mentioned that it might become an issue if it kept up too late. The desk clerk was eager to help, but I'm not sure what he could've done other than move us or move them. Not the typical Homewood deal there.

This hotel was built in 2005, but seems to have been ridden kinda hard. That's probably based on college kids & their families staying vice mostly business travelers. But it's clean and the exterior & lobby are still in good shape. 2005 must have been the last year that new hotels got tube TVs. The 27" CRT on a swivel was weak compared to the 42" LCDs that most other hotels of this level have now. I think it got 30 channels, which is lousy for a city this size, and they're off a satellite so they cut out in a thunderstorm. The pool is outdoor. Not sure if it's heated or cooled. Bad weather thus wrecks swimming plans, too. But outdoor is way better for hanging out/laying out.

Breakfast was great as always, but the evening dinner was understaffed. We got in at 6:30 (it runs 5-7) and the buffet was crushed. It seemed like the one attendant was working very hard but couldn't keep up with managing the busy dining room alone.

Light. There are blackout curtains, they're just neatly tucked away in the corners of the window so it's possible to miss them. If you're from up north, welcome to Florida...the hallways may be warmer than you're used to and you'll want to crank the room AC way down to counter the summer heat.

Overall, this is a great hotel, especially for Gainesville. The above are nit-picky complaints and I think similar or worse problems would be encountered at most of the other hotels in the area. Homewood might be a little bit more $ than some of the competition, but it's almost always worth it.

Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2009

In visiting this area multiple times over the last year and half, we have stayed at many different hotels. The Homewood Suites is BY FAR THE BEST when it comes to service and attentiveness by the staff, in every department. We chose this hotel because it was "pet friendly" (we were traveling with our 52-pound puppy). I cannot express enough how fantastic our stay was at this location. On check-in, the 2 front-desk employees were very attentive, friendly, and accommodating. On arrival to the room, I called housekeeping for extra towels, sheets and pillows; the housekeeper was at my door (on the top floor) within minutes! She even offered to come in and put the sheets and pillows on! The free breakfast was fantastic; my children especially enjoyed the make-your-own-waffles section----fresh, hot waffles made to order! The attendant was very friendly, which surprised me because there were so many people there at one time, I certainly would not have been able to handle it. But she kept on replenishing trays of food (fresh cooked eggs, hash browns/potatoes, milk, juices, waffle mix). There were boxed cereals, bagels, toast, english muffins, fresh squeezed o.j. Coffee around-the-clock :-) The free dinner we did not take advantage of because the night we were there, they offered a dish that my family does not enjoy, so we went across the street to the ale house (pet-friendly with outdoor seating). Every time I passed through the lobby to take my dog for a walk, the employees greeted me with a nice smile, asked how I was, how was my stay, etc. My husband and daughter are returning to G-ville next week for a UF sports camp, and I am booking this hotel for them, instead of a less expensive, closer to UF campus hotel. I will definitely return to this Homewood Suites with each visit to the area. By the way, the Hilton Garden Inn that is adjacent to this Homewood Suites is also acceptable, but for a very comparable price, I choose the larger suite. Enjoy!

Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My wife and I were in Gainesville with an appointment at Shands Hospital. Staying at Homewood Suites was the best part of the trip second only to the excellent treatment we received at the hands of the Shands Hospital Staff. The suite was kept very clean, all the appliances worked - even the ice maker. Breakfast and dinner were provided (Mon-Thu). Beer on tap, wine and the salad bar were the surprises for the evening meal. The property grounds were quiet, well manicured and the atmosphere inside the hotel was not chaotic.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

orlando, florida
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Staying herre was relatively pleasant. However, I booked this room on hilton.com and when I arrived, my room was a "studio suite". I was told by the front desk that this was the room available for the rate I obtained and a "full suite" was not available at this rate. This in spite of the fact that I am hilton diamond member. I was not in a position to move to another hotel. Everything else was homewood quality but I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have an understanding of the room type you are getting when you reserve. If you are looking for a full homewood style suite, you are likely going to be pay more - which I find extremely ridicously.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business