“Better than expected!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Located directly across from the UF campus and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium sits The Swamp Restaurant, occupying the space previously filled by Chaucer's Attic. The Swamp is a dining establishment in a old Gainesville house and was voted the best sports bar in the country by Playboy magazine in 2012. Parking can be an issue, but you can't beat the location.

My kids and I grabbed dinner here on our way back from the Florida Panhandle. The menu is more limited than you would expect from a full service restaurant in this location, but the quality of the food makes up for the small menu. I'd rather the kitchen serve great food with a limited selection than pump out mediocre food for a large menu.

We started with the nachos for an appetizer, which was big enough for 5 people and was huge, loaded with chips, black beans, chicken, cheese, sour cream tomatoes, lettuce. This in itself could be a meal and as far as nachos go, it comes out looking like a picture in a menu and was spot on perfect. Can't go wrong with this.

My daughter had a Caesar salad which she raved about and my son had the Tuscan chicken sandwich, commenting it was one of the best chicken sandwiches he'd ever had. I had the salmon club sandwich and to be perfectly honest, I have to agree with my son. My sandwich had a large piece of well grilled salmon wedged into a BLT on 9 grain toast and it worked so well. Just a beautiful sandwich marvelously complemented with homemade sweet potato steak fries. It was a great meal, plain and simple.

Service was very good and attentive, making sure we had full beverage glasses and everything we needed. Dinner for the three of us, including 3 beverages, appetizers, 3 meals, and tip was $50. I think that was a very fair price for what we got. Definitely returning.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The night before my son's UF tour we decided to dine at the SWAMP. I can see the appeal; there's plenty of outdoor/indoor seating, the AC inside was on full blast, the atmosphere is open, even those on the top level can engage with friends below (if desired). Our waitress was sweet but not too chatty, the food was delivered quickly, the meal was better than expected. Overall, I think it's the perfect spot for the college student to hang with friends and watch the game. My younger kids even enjoyed the atmosphere. If my son attends UF in 2015, I'm sure we'll be back!

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

My favorite place to go when I was attending UF. The swamp hasn't changed much and why should it, great beer selection, friendly people, and decent food. I ordered the gator tail tacos which were delicious, gator was a little tough but cooked well. I wish I lived closer so I could come more but it's fantastic too see UF students still flock here on a daily basis. Go gators!!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had our first "local" meal here in Gainesville at the world famous Swamp Restaurant. Inside was filled so we sat outside. In the shade it was still hot being this is summer. Service was slow but my food was good. Most of us in the party of give felt that way. If I was a UF college kid I would love it!!!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

1. service excellent
2. beer average
3. food bad

We'd recommend you go somewhere else. If you must sit down, have a drink and then move on. They didn't even turn out a decent burger. Our server was wonderful but honestly, she didn't have much to work with on the food. They just can't be even trying.