“Obviously known for comedy rather than taste”

Miraku Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #408 of 576 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Athens, Tennessee
“Obviously known for comedy rather than taste”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Ate around 8-9pm after a 3:30 UF game. Ample seating, and no wait. Odd? Perhaps. Sushi and Hibachi prices looked on par with most other Japanese restaurants. Actually a dollar or two less for Hibachi than what I was expecting.

Service was horrible. Seated promptly. There were 4 grill areas, with one group halfway through their "show" when our orders were taken. There was ONE chef working that night. Funny guy, which is apparently what they strive for over overall quality of food. Took a bit longer than expected to get our soup and salad. I ordered a spicy tuna roll, which was pretty good. No complaints there. The Hibachi quality had much left to be desired. Steak and shrimp was pretty reasonable, but you could tell it wasn't even mid-tier meat or seafood. For the price, comedy, and level of hunger, I didn't really complain.

Outside entrance area was nice. Part of it was under construction but still pleasing.

I'm sure there are other, better options in the area. Didn't have time to research any reviews beforehand. Kids would like this place more so than adults, more than likely.

I wouldn't recommend only because the service was slow (one chef) and the overall quality just wasn't there.

Newberry, Florida
“A Terrible Disappointment”
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Being from New York where great Japanese steak houses are a dime a dozen, and feeling in the mood for dinner at one, I tried Miraku last night. I ended up spending on myself just shy of $50.00. I ordered the triple hibachi combination of lobster, fillet mignon, and shrimp, along with some raw fish sushi.

I don't mind spending that much in Gainesville if the food is good, but far from it this time. The soup was too salty (I had to double the volume by adding water from my drinking glass in order for it to be tolerable. The salad dressing was too sugary sweet (ginger dressing is not supposed to be sweet at all). The fried rice had very little of anything beside rice. The shrimp was drenched in sweet teriyaki sauce (a crime for hibachi shrimp, which is not supposed to be the least bit sweet). I ordered the fillet rare, and it was put in my plate raw and literally cold except for the very surface of some of the sides of the cubes (as if to teach me a lesson for asking for it rare). The lobster was so salty I literally could not eat it.

The dipping sauces were terrible too. In most Japanese steak houses in America, they give you one mustard sauce and one ginger sauce. At Miraku you get one mayonnaise looking "sauce" and one sauce they call ginger sauce, but it's a sickly sweet salad dressing, tasting nothing at all like ginger dipping sauce (which is not supposed to be sweet at all). No mustard sauce was served. I pretty much sustained myself on the sushi (which admittedly wasn't bad) and the rice/vegetables. All the hibachi proteins (lobster, fillet mignon, shrimp) came home with me for my dog.

The hibachi "chef" was a Caucasian boy who looked like he was fresh out of high school. I'm sure he was a nice kid, but someone trained him to be a constant annoyance to customers throughout the time he was there, doing such things as throwing food at customers as a joke. He was also unsanitary, for example frequently inserting his cooking fork deep into his waste can and then using it for cooking again.

Apart from the sushi, this was nearly $50.00 of hard earned money literally thrown in the trash. I would never consider going there again, unless I was strictly going to have sushi.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“pretty good!! little pricey but worth it”
Reviewed April 30, 2008

pretty good!! little pricey but worth it

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Raleigh, NC
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Was really disappointed - they seem to pay more attention to showmanship than quality....Ordered steak/ scallops/ lobster/ chicken combo....my medium-rare steak was super well-done...had them recook it and it came back well-done....the lobster was undercooked...and I never got the chicken! At $28, it wasn't nearly worth it.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook