“Bait & Switch Tactics plus the worse Thai food in the nation”
Review of Bahn Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Bahn Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Gainesville, Florida
“Bait & Switch Tactics plus the worse Thai food in the nation”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Terrible! No air conditioning! We went for the luncheon buffet and arrived at 11:45 a.m. on a Saturday. Don't go if you saw the ad on Gainesville Fl travel site and Moms site, which say "Kids Eat Free Everyday at Luncheon Buffet". Adults were to pay $7.99 apiece. They tried to charge us almost $30.00. Even tried to charge for the new baby who was unable to eat at all. We were incredulous! They will tell you that you are mistaken even when they pull up the site on their computer (and they will do so) so you and management may see the ad together. I was told that prestigious people have visited the restaurant for years and what we clearly read on the website together is incorrect. Management even tried to claim that we were looking at a Friday posting and the day was Saturday. No documentation anywhere as proof to support this. They alleged that they would sue the website and insisted that we must pay $3.99 for the 3 and 5 year olds. I warned them about bait and switch to no avail. We called for a confirmation twice. First I called. My daughter called from her home for direction and confirmation that children ate free. She was told that this was the case unless the children ate as much as an adult (what about the ad?). We had a 3 year old and a 5 year old. Bahn Thai,doesn't have every advertised buffet dish advertised on the buffet island not even oranges. The food is terrible and not really Thai. The food ports allude to Japan and a great deal of the decor is Japanese. There was Americanized Sushi, which was placed in wicker vessels with no refrigeration. The buffet price was cheap and this would not have mattered had the fish been on ice! At least there was sticky rice. THE FOOD TASTE TERRIBLE! Everything was sweet even the hot tea tasted like nothing but water. Worse egg drop soup in creation. They advertised on the buffet board that they had hot and sour soup. It was vegetable and looked like no hot and sour soup I've ever encountered before. Some advertised buffet food, I was informed had not been served in years. When you are from Ann Arbor, Michigan, and used to authentic Thai food, you will do as my daughter and I. She ordered a Sprite, to rid herself of the terrible taste (she was nauseous - the food was so bad) and I wanted an orange slice. We arrived at 11:45 a.m. and were told that they had run out of most of the food. The coconut milk soup was just coconut milk with no other ingredient. Run don't walk from this place. I count this as one of my worse experiences in Gainesville

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank Kate34242

Florida
“Amazing food, terrible atmosphere”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

The food here is unbelievably delicious. Of all of the Thai restaurants I've been to, this is truly the best food. The service is great, too. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is horrible. No windows, brown walls- straight out of the 1970s with NO renovations. It's great for take out, though. The pad thai, red curry, and egg rolls are phenomenal.

1 Thank atm2013
Orlando, Florida
“Excellent food and usually excellent service. Ask for Justin.”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Excellent food and usually excellent service. Ask for Justin.

1 Thank JimMGainesville
Gainesville
“The food is the atmosphere”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Bahn Thai has unfortunately gone downhill in the years since it opened. The interior has not been remodeled and, as others have pointed out, is essentially windowless with a somewhat "yellow" cast to everything due to the artificial lighting. The restaurant makes up for the lack of atmosphere with fantastic food. I have never once had anything on the menu that I did not find delicious, if sometimes surprising and unusual. Bahn Thai offers Thai beer and several soups to start you off. Their egg rolls are the typical Chinese egg roll but good nevertheless. I personally think their Pad Thai noodles are the best I have had. Two other entrees that I love are Pad Prig King Moo with crispy pork and green beans and the rather unusual Loo with room-temperature sliced beef, raw onion and other delicious ingredients. Bahn Thai usually offers a complimentary dessert and I prefer the black, sticky rice when that is the offering. Bahn Thai deserves more diners than it currently is getting. Try to overlook the lack of decor and focus on the food.

1 Thank PWCMD
gainesville, fl
“Awful”
Reviewed July 22, 2009

This place was disgusting, overpriced and the service sucked!

2 Thank yanranicm85