“Discrimination 2.0”
Review of Amelia's

Amelia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Amelia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 574 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd Place and E. 1st Street
Macomb, Illinois
“Discrimination 2.0”
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I always love to try new things and have been all over the world. Little did I know that my most humiliating experience would come from this hole in the wall. A large group of family and friends went to Amelia's to celebrate my sister's graduation, of whom, we were so proud. We made the reservations months in advance and were aware of the no show policy instituted for graduation time which the restaurant required a credit card before arrival, which hey would charge if your party did not show up. What we were not made aware of was the restaurant's policy to not split checks. They would only split it between three credit cards. Some had cash, others credit cards, and we thouht this might be a problem. We had a group of 14 people, but decided to stay and figure it out at the end, especially considering they were likely to charge us anyway if we left. We received burnt bread, watered down house wine, and below average Italian themed fare. The waiter was cavelier and rude from the beginning, but we kept it in stride. Then came the event, and it was epic, let me tell you. The check came out and many entrees were grouped together, as many of us bought the same thing. This posed two problems: we would need the menu to figure out exactly what the prices were to add in the appropriate tax for each item, and we had such a large bill, this would require much more time than we as consumers wished to spend. I simply wanted the check itemized more to save us time. The waiter rudely told us that we read the menu and knew about the no split check policy. Well we did, but weren't prepared for the grouping and the extra time it would take. The waiter's response? "you're all family right? it shouldn't be a big deal." We asked to speak to the manager, who happened to be the owner. The owner sent the waiter back out to say that he was busy. We said we would wait. The owner came out, irate, stating that we saw the policy on the menu and should have known. No one disputed the price or how whether it was accurate. We simply wanted a more itemized receipt, as I attempted to explain. The owner then gave me an example of how a meal would work out mathematically in his head, I guess to show me how smart he was (or how stupid I am). Then he walked away, stating that he was busy and how he had to finish cooking food for other customers. As he was walking away, he stated, "if they leave, call the police." humiliation. My sister's graduation ruined. A sad reminder that no matter how hard you work in life, stereotypes rule the day. I was taken aback, my air frozen in my throat. I am an attorney, another member of our party is a doctor, another a pharmacist, and the others were educators. We happen to be black. I would have never have thought about leaving without paying, and they already had my credit card on file! They could have charged me anyway. So what do you do, when the source of your terrible experience is the owner? I review the establishment here, and my next steps will be to contact the applicable consumer protection agencies. Please be wary of this establishment. I never thought in a million years something like this would happen to me. It could happen to you as well.

16 Thank Lilly L

Tallahassee, Florida
“Nice Evening”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was there for a Tuesday night business dinner. The Service was excellent with a very helpful waiter. Food was also very good. I had the Grouper and it was excellent. The other had an Italian pasta also very good. On Tuesday, all wines are half off so we enjoyed avery good bottle of Barola for a price equal to what you would pay in a wine store. The rest. is quiet, comfortable, unrushed service and just an overall nice evening.

Gainesville, Florida
“Average Meal/Slow Service”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were slightly disappointed in our dining experience at Amelia's. I used a Groupon Coupon and as soon as our server realized this, the tone of the dining experience changed. The service was VERY slow and there was hardly any other customers there. The chef did make the effort to come around and say hello and ask how the food was (which was just average, by the way.) On a brighter note, the jazz was nice. I would not pay their regular menu prices if the quality of our food was indicative of the rest of the menu. Sorry for the not-so-good review, but it is truthful.

1 Thank Tgator
New York City, New York
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We began our evening with a bottle of Rodney Strong "Knotty Vines" Zinfandel and another red wine, we enjoyed the fabulous bread our main courses and sweets (Tiramisu Ladyfinger Cookies Dipped in Espresso & Layered with Mascarpone) along with a quick visit from the chef and owner so we could thank him. The entire experience was what every fine dining experience shoud be EXCEPTIONAL! enjoy the link http://www.ameliasgainesville.com/index.php

2 Thank palenakamikale
Jefferson, South Dakota
“Pretty good, not GREAT”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Had veal parmigian. All the food was nice. And you can tell its all made fresh, just for you. They have that part down. But i thought the service was lacking a little. I kept having to waive the waiter over to fill my alcholic drink. you wouldnt think i wud have to beings they are pretty pricey. Also, the used plates just seemed to hang around on the table too long. With this nice of food and atmosphere, i just expected Chicago-like service. But it wasnt. I would go back again, but just expect the slow service.