“Gainesville is Lucky” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amelia's

Amelia's
Reserve with OpenTable
Amelia's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 566 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd Place and E. 1st Street
Gainesville, Florida
“Gainesville is Lucky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

To have Amelia's. Another meal there last night. Each dish is freshly made with fresh ingredients. Terrific appetizers and a huge selection of main courses. Very busy last night and food for 12 people came out in a timely way.

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank stone2

Rockledge, Florida
“Nice rehearsal dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Good food, a little slow but we were a large group. Nice atmosphere

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Barbara W
Gainesville, Florida
“DISCRIMINATORY SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Due to the massive amounts of wonderful reviews that I read on this website about the restaurant I decided to take my mom on a dinner date to Amelia's. As soon as we got there the service was terrible. We waited around 10 minutes for a waitress to come to our table when the people that were coming in after us were all getting served before us. Our waters were never refilled while everyone's glasses at the other tables were constantly refilled. The waitress and the owner of the restaurant would walk right pass us and never asked if we needed anything. I must mentioned that we were the only hispanics in the restaurant. When we finished our meal I talked to the owner of the restaurant and told him that the service had been unacceptable and that I had felt discriminated. He rudely answered back to me and said " Well I would have to completely disagree with you, plus we were understaff today." In addition to that he kept making excuses about their rude service. It is the year 2012 discrimination in a public place is just simply unacceptable at this point in time. I had never had such horrible experienced in a restaurant in my life !!

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Stef G
gatorandy526, Owner at Amelia's, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
I feel compelled to respond to the false accusation of discriminatory service alleged by a customer on TripAdvisor. I have worked tirelessly since purchasing Amelia’s almost five years ago to earn the “massive amounts of wonderful reviews” that our customers have given us. My staff and I are committed and constantly work to serve all our customers the finest, freshest food and to provide impeccable, professional service. That being said, we are not perfect and, on very rare occasions, our service or a meal may not live up to customer’s expectations.

This customer was not happy with the service and concludes that because she and her mother were the only Hispanics in the restaurant, she was discriminated against. With over one hundred people in two separate dining rooms in the restaurant and the patio that night, how did she know that she and her mother were the only Hispanics? Perhaps she missed the server of Hispanic origin who was also serving tables that night.

Finally, I was not and would never be rude to any customer. Yes, I did try to explain that we were unexpectedly slammed at the time they came in with customers who did not have reservations and who we could not therefore plan for and that we were, as a result, understaffed. While, again, I was not rude, I most certainly did “COMPLETELY DISAGREE” with the customer’s false allegation that she and her mother had been singled out and discriminated against. I was, and remain, offended by such a slanderous accusation.

I am donating the total of the customer’s check that night to the Association of Hispanic Alumni of the University of Florida and will continue to operate Amelia’s with the goal of satisfying all of my customers while continually earning the respect of my family, my friends, my University, my town, and my co-workers and colleagues.

Chef Andy Fass, Owner and Chef of Amelia’s Restaurant
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Service was great. Loved the lobster ravioli. My daughter is a picky eater and she finished her entire plate of eggplant parm. Thank you Chef Andy and wait staff of Amelia's for your professional and courteous service. We can't wait to come back!

3 Thank Scottrzucker
Zucky
“Best Italian food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Everytime we go to Gainesville, we eat at least twice at Amelia's! The service, including the Chef/owner, are efficient, pleasant, and treat EVERY customer in a special and accommodating manner. Thank you Amelia's and chef Andy for always making our trips to Gainesville for our favorite Italian food incredible!!

1 Thank Zucky