“If you love Meat”
Review of 4Rivers Smokehouse

4Rivers Smokehouse
Ranked #12 of 574 Restaurants in Gainesville
Description: 4 Rivers is a family-owned smokehouse specializing in 30-day aged brisket, homemade southern sides and fresh bakery items.
“If you love Meat”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

this fast/slow food restaurant is the place.
My wife and I were looking for a dinner venue and came upon this at Butler Plaza. Occupying a corner lot with many tables, benches and stools both inside and outside (next to the busy traffic) the venue offers barbecued meat in various forms.
You line up cafeteria style and place your order and they place your choice either on the paper towel lining up the tray or on paper plates. My choice was pulled pork sandwich that came with two sides; I chose green beans (bland) and corn (very tasty). My wife chose the beef brisket salad and declared it very good. Next time we decided to try the baby back ribs and other offerings.
Bottom line: a fast serving of slow cooked meat dishes. They do NOT serve beer or wine but have several old style soft drinks.

Gainesville, Florida
“Good barbecue but outstanding cupcake”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The BBQ was good (not as good as Sonny's) but the coconut cake was outstanding. Try the sliders and sample three different meats and be sure to get the sides which are quite good. Don't leave without the coconut cupcake.

Gainesville, Florida
“This is not anywhere near decent BBQ!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Poor choice for a quick bite. Drive-thru BBQ style. Yuck. The BBQ selection was like mush - everything seemed to be sitting out and tasted like 2nd day old food. The pork was dry and the sauces were disgusting. Just slapped the meat on a McDonald's type bun and be done? Not good choice 4R. Not recommending this place. I have had ample BBQ living in the South my entire life - this is not southern BBQ food. Sorry! We were not satisfied.

1 Thank ProfessorCorrie
Lake City, Florida
“Try the tri-tips!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is a bbq place, with good side dishes, and a LOT of wonderful looking desserts. It specializes in the brisket, but they also have pulled pork, chicken, ribs AND TRI TIP STEAK! I think most people get the brisket, which is available either moist or lean. The "moist" is good, and moist, but doesn't have a very "smoked" flavor. The bbq pork is also good. Lots of sides: sweet potato casserole, greens, bacon wrapped jalapenos, corn bread salad, corn, bbq beans, etc. But the tri tip steak sandwich is wonderful. It comes with some kind of a sauce, but have them put it on the side. Try it first, then see if you want the sauce (I didn't). There are not a lot of tables, so you might end up sitting at a long counter style table with bar stools. If there is a line it moves quickly, since it is cafeteria style. If it wasn't for the tri tip I would rate this restaurant average, but I know many people who like it a lot for the bbq meats.

• Visited December 2013
“"Texas style BBQ" is faux for this Texican”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

First off, I really wanted to like this place, there is always a line, it's in a nice setting, and of course if a BBQ joint says Texas anything, I gotta check it out. Upon first glance the line looks long but it moves fast because your ordering while in line. On our first visit I ordered the "Texas Destroyer" without provolone. I'm sorry, I love cheese but it does not belong on a BBQ sandwich. I noticed the brisket was precut which is a nogo in my book. Brisket dries out quickly if not kept covered and or in one piece till ordered. The wife ordered the "Messy Pig" which is a pulled pork sandwich. Our sides were corn, green beans, okra and greens. I did enjoy the corn and green beans, while the okra appeared to be the standard frozen variety, so nothing special. The wife liked the green beans but not the greens. Now for the meats, just as I expected, the brisket was dry, but did have a nice smokey flavor, while the missus stated her sandwich was "ok" at best. I do not rate sauces because they are a personal preference and I don't have to have sauce on my BBQ. I did give this place a second try by ordering the "Texas sausage" sandwich. This was NOT a Texas Sausage by any means. What I was served was a typical retail sausage you find in a grocery store. This was not the spicy smokey, possibly beef infused "hot link" type sausage from Texas. As a friendly reminder, the "Burnt Ends" sandwich is NOT burnt ends!! Burnt ends are the pointy end of the brisket that has extra charring due to the greater surface area as well as more juiceyness. Portion size is my last gripe, call me spoiled but "Texas Style" should mean Texas size portions, which they are not. Staff here is friendly and helpful but I am not an overall fan