“Bad Burger But Would Give it Another Chance” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ballyhoo Grill
Ranked #56 of 566 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Orlando, Florida
“Bad Burger But Would Give it Another Chance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Fun environment, great staff - especially for our large group. Disappointing experience with how my burger was cooked but they were cool about it so I don't want to beat them up too badly as everyone else in my group had a great meal. Extensive menu and tons of TVs

Visited October 2012

New York
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We ate there yesterday (10/2/12) with some friends who live in Gainesville and I had the ziti parm and it was very good. The service was good and the waitress was very efficient in refilling our drinks and returning to our booth to check on how we were doing. I was happy with the service but it wasn't crowded when we were in so don't know how it is during a rush period. I enjoyed the restaurant very much. The food was hot and a good size portion for the price.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank NewYorkGrandpa
Santa Barbara, California
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This place is grossly overpriced, gross, and the service is poor. I ordered a sandwich and a upgraded my side to a salad. Never received my salad even though I asked multiple waitresses. I've worked as a server before. It's not that difficult to go to the back and ask for a salad that's missing. I told them to take the the salad off my ticket nearly an hour later. So essentially I still paid for a sandwich and a side that I never received. I had the poboy. The clams are clearly frozen before frying. The shrimp was okay. Lame overall for a seafood restaurant. Then, I received my bill-- $20 for a crap sandwich without a side and 1 watered down margarita. I'll never return.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gooserstein
Gainesville, Florida
“Excellent seafood, drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Gainesville has a lot of sports bars, but Ballyhoo's is actually also a very good restaurant. Their Seafood Cobb salad is one of my favorite dishes in town. Their fish dishes almost never disappoint. Of course they also have the full selection of bar food and appetizers.

Their outside seating is great for happy hour and they handle large parties better than most restaurants.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Opinithetic
Gainesville, FL
“Gets worse and worse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

It saddens me to write this review because Ballyhoo's has been a favorite of mine for a long time. When it first opened they concentrated on really good, fresh seafood. After a few years they started messing with the menu, removing their signature seafood dishes and replacing them with unhealthy choices. We would still eat here for its convenience and service (if you chose carefully you could still manage a healthy meal). However, our last few visits have been horrible. Two examples: we ordered the tableside quacamole (which is the only good thing they added to the menu) and the chips were horribly stale. We told our waiter and he simply put them back in the fryer and returned them totally burned! During our last visit our waitress, who did not write down our order after confessing she hadn't waited tables in six months, got our order totally wrong. She apologized but there were no adjustments to the check. I could go on about how this place has really lost its way. In the beginning we ate here at least once a week, it was that good (that translates to hundreds of visits and thousands of dollars!). It pains me to say we probably won't be back. (Note: my star ratings are for my last visit)

• Visited July 2012