“Awful”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Santa Barbara, California
“Awful”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This place is grossly overpriced, gross, and the service is poor. I ordered a sandwich and a upgraded my side to a salad. Never received my salad even though I asked multiple waitresses. I've worked as a server before. It's not that difficult to go to the back and ask for a salad that's missing. I told them to take the the salad off my ticket nearly an hour later. So essentially I still paid for a sandwich and a side that I never received. I had the poboy. The clams are clearly frozen before frying. The shrimp was okay. Lame overall for a seafood restaurant. Then, I received my bill-- $20 for a crap sandwich without a side and 1 watered down margarita. I'll never return.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Gooserstein

“Excellent seafood, drinks”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Gainesville has a lot of sports bars, but Ballyhoo's is actually also a very good restaurant. Their Seafood Cobb salad is one of my favorite dishes in town. Their fish dishes almost never disappoint. Of course they also have the full selection of bar food and appetizers.

Their outside seating is great for happy hour and they handle large parties better than most restaurants.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Opinithetic
Gainesville, FL
“Gets worse and worse”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It saddens me to write this review because Ballyhoo's has been a favorite of mine for a long time. When it first opened they concentrated on really good, fresh seafood. After a few years they started messing with the menu, removing their signature seafood dishes and replacing them with unhealthy choices. We would still eat here for its convenience and service (if you chose carefully you could still manage a healthy meal). However, our last few visits have been horrible. Two examples: we ordered the tableside quacamole (which is the only good thing they added to the menu) and the chips were horribly stale. We told our waiter and he simply put them back in the fryer and returned them totally burned! During our last visit our waitress, who did not write down our order after confessing she hadn't waited tables in six months, got our order totally wrong. She apologized but there were no adjustments to the check. I could go on about how this place has really lost its way. In the beginning we ate here at least once a week, it was that good (that translates to hundreds of visits and thousands of dollars!). It pains me to say we probably won't be back. (Note: my star ratings are for my last visit)

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Lucyspin
Gainesville, Florida
“They Don't Know What They're Doing”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I've eaten here twice, and each time my experience was barely mediocre. The service was fine, so I'll get that out of the way, but the food is another matter.

A big red flag when going to a restaurant is a menu that is pages long and filled with eclectic choices. This sounds like a plus, but when a restaurant offers so many different cuisines--Italian, Japanese, Mexican, American--the quality tends to be spread too thin. Rather than focusing on one type of cuisine and putting energy and passion into that type of food, Ballyhoo is overwhelming themselves (and their customers) and sacrificing good quality over quantity. And on top of that, the food is way overpriced.

To give Ballyhoo credit, it does seem like a fun place to hang out with friends during a game or whatever people who watch football do, but if you're more interested in food don't waste your time and money.

• Visited December 2011
Gainesville, Florida
“The best Berger I have had.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I know they do see food great. But the hamburger was the biggest and the yummiest one I have had. It's the bull grater and you need to get this thing it is awesome!!!

2 Thank Charles P