“Our Favorite Chinese Restaurant in the Gville/Ocala area”

Mr Han's Restaurant & Night
Ranked #147 of 689 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: For over 35 years Mr. Han has been serving the best Chinese food in Gainesville. Stop on down and find out why we have been voted Best Chinese in Gainesville by Sun Readers.
Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

Mr Han’s is by far our favorite Chinese restaurant in the entire Gainesville/Ocala area.

We’ve been coming here regularly since the 1970’s and we’ve always been very happy with the high quality of the food, the delightful romantic quiet atmosphere overlooking the duck pond, and the delightful Mrs Han and her always pleasant staff.

My husband is a foodie/gourmand accustomed to Manhattan fine restaurants, and his sister (who lives in Manhattan) is a certified gourmet cook. Whenever his sister comes to visit, we bring her to Mr Han’s and she is always well pleased.

Our favorites include (but not limited to) Peking Duck, Sea Bass, “Ants in a Tree,” Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Hot & Sour Soup (only because I’m now allergic to shellfish after the Deepwater Horizon disaster, as their many other soups are spectacularly delicious), Szechuan Eggplant, and many more.

This restaurant is located conveniently close to North Florida Regional Medical Center (with the ability to drive directly down quiet small roads from NFRMC to Mr Hans), and it offers delicious stress-free dining for both the hospital’s staff and for visitors seeking a rewarding quiet break from stress. It is also an excellent choice for dinner for anyone shopping at the Oaks Mall or elsewhere in the area who just wants to enjoy a genuinely delicious meal in a quiet stress-free environment.

We haven’t gone here for lunch, only for dinner, but knowing the high quality of this landmark restaurant, always listed among Gainesville’s best restaurants for many decades, I am truly surprised to see any negative reviews at all.

This is a great restaurant for dates where you’d enjoy a quiet romantic atmosphere (including live orchids & linen tablecloths on every table) for conversing easily, for family dinners or entertaining guests or business associates. Mr Han’s even has additional rooms well set up for private parties & celebrations or business gatherings.

All in all, we highly recommend Mr Han’s, especially for a delightful dinner

Date of visit: March 2019
Write a reviewReviews (68)

Reviewed February 4, 2019

We went for lunch on a Saturday, the restaurant was nicely appointed and looked like it had been in business a long time. There were two other tables occupied by Asian couples so I was hopeful. My eggplant "crispy" appetizer was soggy with very thin slices of eggplant, I opened it to see if there really was eggplant in there, my boyfriends bbq beef was good he said. The entrees were tofu and Chinese mushrooms and pork fried rice. Both were bland, my mushrooms turned out to be white mushrooms, not Asian mushrooms. The service was attentive. We won't be back.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed December 16, 2018 via mobile

We came to this place because it had good reviews. We started out with egg rolls that were quite good. They are not made in the restaurant. One order of chicken chow main was good as was the pork fried rice. An order of “crisp duck” was tough, gamely, greasy and must have been cooked days before. We did not eat it. The service was terrible. We had to ask more than once for a knife and for the white rice we ordered. We will not return. It has been my experience and that of people I know that there is no good Chinese food outside of urban “Chinatown” areas.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed July 22, 2018

This was my first time and what a pleasant surprise at the beautiful interior of the building and the delicious food. There are pictures with the Hans and many famous people.
They have a very different menu with meals for 4 people which included a delicious soup, an appetizer, 4 different entrees and dessert for $23 person. The variety of entrees went from fish, chicken, steak were all were very good. The lamb was the only one that I was not impressed with and I love lamb.
Our service was excellent while some comments said their service was not good this was not the situation for us.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 6, 2018

Owned by a Chinese couple, I've been there twice, nice food, the only restaurant serving Peking Duck in Gainesville. At night they turn off the lights and light up candles, quite romantic. The old lady used to be a dancer(or opera performer?). You may encounter their traditional Chinese show if lucky.
环境挺不错的,菜品很有中国传统,甚至有北京烤鸭!!不过烤鸭的面饼需要改良得更精细一些。老板娘年轻时是艺术圈人,晚上有时会遇到小演出。