“Best described as drunk food”
Review of Gator Tales

Gator Tales
Ranked #348 of 609 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Gator Tales is a place that has an area to suit every mood!Home of the Best Tale in Gainesville! Gainesville's Only venue with 3 large separate entertainment areas: TIKI BAR Lounge & relax in our large covered outdoor patio with tropical tunes, enjoy 3 large screen TV's. Bring along your dog to share in the fun.SPORTS BAR Featuring a full liquor bar, you can catch the game on one of our 9 TV's and enjoy the best local live entertainment every day of the week. Swamp Bar Our Newest area features 3 APA regulation pool tables, 4 dart alleys, 3 TV's, along with a large seating area to watch and enjoy! Happy Hour Every Day 2pm-7pm and 11 pm-close.
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This restaurant gets two stars, one for our server who was terrific - personable and trying very hard. And a second star goes to the manager for also trying very hard and comping our meal. But the food must get no stars. The only fish available is swai, a cheap, low-quality fish from rivers in Viet Nam and SE Asia. Floridians know about fish. Offering this fish only defines the mind set of whomever created this menu. I ordered a pulled pork and cole slaw sandwich instead. When it came to the table there was no slaw (the real reason I ordered this). After asking about it I was then told they were out of slaw - should have been told before ordering. I was given an iceberg side salad instead. My husband ordered the grilled shrimp po' boy. A sad thin sandwich was brought to him. There were 5 small, pale, boiled, unseasoned shrimp, a leaf of iceberg, and a few thin tomato slices. No tartar sauce, mayo, lemon, anything. I think the trick to enjoying this place is to approach it the right way. Live music, which was setting up for later, and beer drinking could make for a good time (some beers listed as premium imports were not - e.g. Amber Bock). After lots of music, beer, good times with friends, and when a big hunger hits - just maybe this food would work. We very much support local businesses and hope the new owner can stay open. We hope his business model will be successful. Maybe the restaurant was just a bad fit for us. Here's to improvements and evolving into a place we would visit again.

1  Thank Sally B

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went here with a groupon wasn't sure how it would be - it was our 1st time here. Very good food, generous portions. We will be going back. Service was friendly and good.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall for a bar food it was okay. The dry rub wings were very good, even with the high cost of the wings. The French dip was okay, using bought sliced beef. The grilled shrimp po boy was pretty good. Ordered with no onions and came with onions. The French fries and onion rings were both good. Need to train the servers on the specials. I would suggest letting them try the special so they can explain it. Example the cheese bread. The only major negative was the bugs. While they have ceiling fans they need more fans to blow the bugs away.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a discount so we thought we would try it out. It was dark and seemed dingy. If all you want to do is drink and play pool, it is a good place. We did not order anything complicated, burger, wings. However, it took over 30 minutes to get our food. The food was below average. I would prefer to get a burger at Burker King. It is very pricey for what you get, $45 for two adults and two children, with sodas. And since it is a "sports bar" there were individuals using foul language, not good for children who do not hear that at home. I will not be going back.

2  Thank shelley m
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Didn't eat anything here. Went with my daughter and her friends (30-35 year olds and I'm in late 50s). Thought it was a really fun place to drink and listen to karaoke. I particularly liked the blend of customer ages so i didn't feel like i was partying with just a bunch of younguns.

1  Thank tchalg8