“For delicious Japanese food on 34th St!!!”

Mahzu Sushi & Grill
Ranked #87 of 590 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm always on the lookout for a good, new restaurant. This place is a lovely, peaceful little Japanese restaurant in the strip mall attachedto Publix.
I ate here for lunch and got my food 6 minutes later! I had the salmon hibachi, which came with Miso soup, noodles, rice and veggies. All very good and perfectly cooked. So good, in fact,that here I am on the same day, ordering dinner.
For dinner I ordered the seaweed salad which was perfectly seasoned nicely presented with a banana leaf and a dollop of madani on the top. The soft shelled crab was a disappointment. The batter was grainy. I got a toro (melted in my mouth), the salmon caviar (perfect) and the lobster mango roll, which was a perfect balance of sweet/spicy and soft/crunchy. The serviceis to notch as well. I highly recommend going here for either lunch or dinner, realize of course, that you do pay a bit higher for all the quality and special touches. Love the presentation!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My fist thought when I saw this place was...'great, another sushi place'. There are only 4 others within 2 miles of this one and a bunch around town otherwise as well. But my wife and I were blown away by how good this place was. It has not been open that long and we've already brought it home for dinner 5 times.
Now I like sushi, but my wife LOVES sushi and can't get enough of this place. So since I was a little sushi'd out I decided to just go with my meat and potatoes roots and get some chicken tempura. Holy Crap!!! This is the best tempura I've ever had...and I've had lots of it. I know, I know....it is lame to get that at a sushi place...but I'm just not going to be able to help myself now...it is THAT good! It also comes with a Miso soup and a little salad neither of which is anything special, but their ginger dressing is one of the better ones I've had.
Since I live right around the corner from this place we haven't taken the opportunity to eat inside yet, but it looked nice. It is decorated with an asian theme as you would expect, but it wasn't as gaudy as some restaurants make it.
And the people handling the take-out service have been nothing but friendly and efficient.