“Best Bed & Breakfast in Gainesville”
Review of The Laurel Oak Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gainesville
The Laurel Oak Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Gainesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Laurel Oak Inn is a slice of heaven in a renovated historical residence. The owners, Monta & Peggy do everything within their power to make your stay memorable. From their happy Happy Hour to their 5 star breakfasts we felt like we were visiting old friends as opposed to staying out of town in a hotel. Sitting in the kitchen and visiting with Monta & Peggy was just like spending time with family (that you like)! The entire inn is extremely well maintained and clean. The beds are comfortable, the food is delicious and we will return soon.

1  Thank JBAssoc

Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We had never been to Gainesville and were very fortunate to find this beautiful B&B. The rooms are immaculate and very cozy as well as the rest of the house. The breakfast was the best!!! And the hosts were a pleasure!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I felt peaceful just walking in the front door. I wish I could live there. The Laurel Oak is beautifully furnished, the mattress was very comfortable, the breakfasts were delectable, and the owners were extremely helpful. Hanging around the kitchen sharing the day (& wine & cheese) with the owner & other guests was so relaxing. The B&B was the highlight of the trip!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robpear
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This beautiful bed and breakfast is an historic Gainesville home, located in a delightfully renovated section of town. The home, which is situated on a huge, well-landscaped lot, offers a wrap-around porch on which to sit and enjoy evening cocktails, served so graciously by the owners. The downstairs of the home has a lovely dining room and sitting area with fireplaces galore. The beauty of our bedroom could only be topped by the comfort of the bed. Our room had a huge whirlpool tub with glorious beauty products lining its edge. Breakfast was indescribably good, with three courses all served on delightful china. The B&B's proximity to downtown was such that we could have walked to the Hippodrome Theatre and other nightlife attractions have we chosen to. We will be back again and again. Did I mention the homemade chocolate/chocolate chip cookies that the owners leave out? To die for...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank atlanticbeachwriter
Reviewed December 14, 2008

Monta and Peggy Burt, a couple originally from Bucks County, Pa., by way of Miami and Wellington, Fl., have learned the ways of the old South, as far as Hospitality is concerned. They discovered Gainesville in the 1990's when their daughters attended the University of Florida and, during frequent visits, fell in love with the town. A local they knew showed them the 1885 Queen Anne Victorian house one day and told them, "It's for sale...you could probably pick it up for a good price." The place was a wreck, having been student housing for years. Rumor has it that Tom Petty, pre Heartbreaker days, lived and partied there. Motorcycles were parked in the front room, haphazard additions hung off the place, windows were old and broken...the house would need to be gutted. Monta and Peggy decided to buy it.
They did, in 1999. Going deep into their savings, guided by a terrific vision, they restored the house into an immaculate jewel. It is a comfortable, clean and warm home, and we enjoyed staying there. The architectural details are delightful, and the Burt's eye for detail is apparent everywhere I looked. Antique wooden doors were found in Savannah, and brought down for the house. Multiple coats of paints were stripped off the fireplace mantels by Peggy down to the original, beautiful wood. The heart pine floors and staircase were refinished. The Laurel Oak Inn is a magnificent place just to stand in, and look around...which I did. But to stay here is a real treat. The rooms and beds are well appointed. A central air system keeps the place warm in winter...we were there in December, and I never had to turn on the gas log heater in my room. The bathrooms are in character with the Inn's heritage, but with new fixtures, plenty of hot water and good lighting. The Thermo massage tubs are very interesting; my sister had quite a time with the one in her bathroom. I had a great little open sun porch off of my second floor room, where I sat and looked out over the back yard and moss laden trees of the place next door. Your laptop is welcome; the whole place is set up for wireless use (be familiar with Cut and Paste, as the log in code is nothing short of astounding!) Upon arrival, Peggy showed us the well lit common area off the kitchen, where a guest refrigerator has wines, beers and soft drinks, as well as cold water. We started our stay with a glass of a nice cab, shared with our hosts. Monta recommended a host of restaurants (they have menu copies of most on hand), and we were pleased with his recommendations. Coffee and breakfast the next morning were wonderful. The coffee is fresh ground, a free trade blend from the local Sweetwater Coffee Company. It's very good. Fresh fruit was laid out by Peggy in a pleasing cartwheel pattern, garnished by a neat Nasturtium flower on each plate. Then came a cake like piece of toast which had been grilled for a moment in a frying pan, I believe. A delicious, generous piece of quiche followed, joined by 2 pieces of a great, peppery bacon. I am certain that vegetarians can be satisfied, as Monta had asked us beforehand if we ate bacon. I stay at Bed and Breakfast places as a matter of course when I travel. The two reasons that I do are because I usually meet the most interesting people there, and I get to see what people with vision can do. The Burts are just the type of folks that I hope to experience...friendly, accomodating, knowledgeable about where they live and what to do there, and eager to make your stay the best. I liked them, and I like the way they do things at the Laurel Oak Inn. I think you will, too.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Jivermo46
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I travel a lot for business and have never stayed at a B&B before. My client mentioned there were some B&Bs in Gainesville I could check out. I found the Laurel Oak on TripAdvisor and saw how highly rated it was. The rate was similar to what the hotels in the area were quoting me.

I was not disappointed. Monta and Peggy were wonderful - they accommodated my very late arrival (midnight), made gourmet breakfasts (never did finish one) including fresh fruit, and made me feel at home over a glass of wine. I enjoyed happy hour with them and watched hummingbirds at the feeders outside the kitchen window. Loved all the little touches - robes, Aveda shampoo, cookies, snacks, organic coffee. As a business traveller, I also appreciated the wireless internet access. They are a wonderful, down to earth couple who are very welcoming and so helpful. I felt like they were watching out for me while I was there.

If you are in Gainesville - definitely check out the Laurel Oak. It's a beautiful heritage house with great amenities and wonderful inn keepers.

Thanks Peggy and Monta. You're the best!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank wandering_wyatt
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We stayed here with other members of our family. We were welcomed as family and treated very well. Monta's breakfast are 'to die for' and the rooms are gorgeous. Highly recommend to anyone who likes B&B's!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple