“No problems here”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
“No problems here”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I liked the hotel. It's sort of in the middle of nothing, but I didn't need anything. The location was safe and the rooms very clean. The staff was friendly and I was surprised to see food at the hotel's breakfast other than cereal. They had my favorite yogurt! I loved the bed. Wish I could still be sleeping on it. Very clean rooms, though the bathroom looked like it could do with a remodeling soon. Nice sized space. Their location is pretty.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
SPRINGFIELD
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Clean. Comfortable bed. Great Internet Speed. I hate going to motels that offer free internet yet it rarely works or is slower than dial-up. Their internet was running about 10mbps which is very fast for any hotel/motel. The breakfast was very basic and it doesn't have a workout facility, but for $50/night, you couldn't get a better value in Gainesville. I'd definitely stay there again & recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Doral, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Paid less than $50/n and I got a $50/n type of hotel; if that makes sense to you. Traditional room, fairly clean and tidy, old tube style TV, small desk, mini fridge & microwave, and the typical toiletries for the bathroom. Beds were really comfortable, and A/C was very powerful and we slept in almost 65 degrees when it was over 90 outside ;-) Location is good in terms of distance to the places we needed to go, but we did not like it was very close to other "motels" that did not look that good to me. Make sure that if you don't smoke and don't like the smell of cigarettes, that they give you a room that is not close to the smoking section, since the smell permeates to other rooms. Free breakfast was exactly that... the "free" kind, so our expectations were not that high on that department. Cereal and baked goods were a bit past due, but fruits, yogurt and milk were OK. Coffee was awful. Reception/Manager were very nice and accomodating, moving us from that smelly room they first gave us to a really nice one and smoke-smell-free. I'd stay with them again if I can get the same cheap price.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the same side of the hotel lobby - it does not smell like smoke/cigarettes... of cour...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I don't think it was a great value for our money. $73 a night was too much for where we stayed. It was kept clean but I expected more for my money. On a bright note- their complimentary breakfast was kept in their lobby which was ok! Based on the reviews I read from previous customers (saying it was excellent) is why I chose this Howard Johnson.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dacula, Georgia
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We stopped I Gainesville to visit family and stayed here based on Tripadvisor rating and price. Rated as a 4 out of 5. Our kids walked in the room and took off their shoes...black feet in a few minutes. They had just painted the room but not cleaned the floor afterwards. Front desk offered no apology and the guy who came to vacuum said nothing. I am always more picky with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012
Estero, FL
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were not looking for anything fancy and just a night's stay as we were passing through Gainesville. We selected HoJo Express Inn as an affordable stop. The Inn is about 4 minutes off the I-75 interchange but a relatively easy find.
We were greeted in a very friendly manner and was quickly in our room. Now remember that this is a budget type in so our room was pretty basic but clean and likely recently remodeled. No flat screen TV's here but I am not here to watch TV. The king bed was comfortable (I slept through the night so that is a very good sign).
Breakfast was the minimal selection of juice, cereal, yogurt and muffins but quite alright (remember budget).
The exterior property is nicely designed with a very homey look. The pool area was nice and they also had a side lot with volleball and a garden.
The staff was very friendly and courteous.
For the same driving through Gainesville stop, I would recommend and return to Howard Johnson's Express Inn.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Howard Johnson, this is the first time having someone treat me with respect. I was expecting a lot worse and I was surprised by how the manager was very professional and curtious. I look foward to going back there in september for a weekend stay.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor it was very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business