“Disappointed BBQ Fan”
Review of Smokehouse Downtown Barbeque - CLOSED

Smokehouse Downtown Barbeque
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our group of 7 was really looking forward to our night out at the Smokehouse. Several local friends had suggested the restaurant. We love the downtown area and usually try to dine there when we are in town. We were seated quickly and our server took our drink orders right away. Smokehouse has a good looking menu with a nice variety of BBQ items and we were all hungry. Our entire table had decided on Rib Platters....that is until our server returned to tell us they were OUT OF RIBS. Really?
How can you expect to be a successful BBQ restaurant when you run out of ribs at 8:30pm on a Saturday night. We all decided to make the best of it and the Manager actually comped our 1st round of drinks. The rest of the evening was a disaster. Two plates of food COLD. Sent back and still not even warm. Crunchy grits. Extremely bland pulled pork and tough brisket. A bone in the pulled chicken sandwich. However, the zucchini fries were awesome and the BBQ Cuban sandwich was really good too.
The Manager had more excuses than sauces.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I decided to visit the Smokehouse one evening. I would give the restaurant a good review based solely on the quality of the pulled pork nachos. I loved everything about them, and would glad return just to enjoy another serving.
I had the brisket, which was fine. My wife had the pulled pork sandwich, which she enjoyed. The sides were very good, especially the cheese grits.
Service was a little uneven, especially when we asked for ketchup. Our server couldn't find any. The sauces were very good. Worth a go for BBQ lovers who want to try something new.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The Smoke house is a very high end decor, with a great bar, a stage and outdoor seating also. They have around 30 table, and booths. This building is the old rue bar but it has been totally redone. There menu is a mix of traditional bbq with high end extra's. We went with 4 people. We got their famous BBQ Nachos which are very good then we got a the fire pit feast for 4. This included Sliced Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, & Chicken with choice of four gourmet sides. It easily feed all of us and we ended up taking some home. Everything was excellent, I liked the brisket and ribs the best. The sides we tried were, bean, mac and cheese, grits, and sweet potatoes fries. All were above average except the sweet potato fries. The music started up around 8pm. They were good, they played good blues and were not too over powering.

1  Thank fargeo
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Nice setting downtown, especially at an outside table. The staff was efficient and enthusiastic and the food was great! We had a hard time choosing one of the 4 sauces so we used all of them on parts of our sandwiches. The citrus cole slaw was interesting but good and the macaroni and cheese was made with ziti or rigatoni. Great beer selection, too! We will definitely eat here again on our next trip to Gainesville.

1  Thank gtonic63
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stopped in for lunch and the place is very woody looking. The waiter told us the tables were made from the original oak from the attic.
I had the the two meat combo, with the Ribs and Beef Brisket (3 bones and 3 generous slices of beef). The ribs fell of the bone, but were not mushy like some places. The Brisket was tasty and thick sliced with a substantial portion, not the thin rubbery stuff from Smokey Bones. Everything was cooked without being marinated in sauces so you can add your flavoring with their house sauces. This is another problem I have with Smokey Bones, everything is smeared in some sort of sauce.

They have a variety of sauces which were excellent.
Chipotle - Spicy and smoky
Some sort of Berry - sweet and tangy but BBQ flavored
Original - another sweet with no hint of berries
Carolina Mustard - Tangy with a vinegary taste

My favorites were the Chipotle and Berry sauces. The portions were generous enough that I had leftovers, even from lunch. Oh and I almost forgot, they serve a smoked corn which is cut straight of the cob - delicious!

1  Thank Leester2