“Good addition to downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
North Florida
“Good addition to downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I decided to visit the Smokehouse one evening. I would give the restaurant a good review based solely on the quality of the pulled pork nachos. I loved everything about them, and would glad return just to enjoy another serving.
I had the brisket, which was fine. My wife had the pulled pork sandwich, which she enjoyed. The sides were very good, especially the cheese grits.
Service was a little uneven, especially when we asked for ketchup. Our server couldn't find any. The sauces were very good. Worth a go for BBQ lovers who want to try something new.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Best High End BBQ restaurant in Gainesville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

The Smoke house is a very high end decor, with a great bar, a stage and outdoor seating also. They have around 30 table, and booths. This building is the old rue bar but it has been totally redone. There menu is a mix of traditional bbq with high end extra's. We went with 4 people. We got their famous BBQ Nachos which are very good then we got a the fire pit feast for 4. This included Sliced Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, & Chicken with choice of four gourmet sides. It easily feed all of us and we ended up taking some home. Everything was excellent, I liked the brisket and ribs the best. The sides we tried were, bean, mac and cheese, grits, and sweet potatoes fries. All were above average except the sweet potato fries. The music started up around 8pm. They were good, they played good blues and were not too over powering.

1 Thank fargeo
Gautier, Mississippi
“It's on our list.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Nice setting downtown, especially at an outside table. The staff was efficient and enthusiastic and the food was great! We had a hard time choosing one of the 4 sauces so we used all of them on parts of our sandwiches. The citrus cole slaw was interesting but good and the macaroni and cheese was made with ziti or rigatoni. Great beer selection, too! We will definitely eat here again on our next trip to Gainesville.

1 Thank gtonic63
Florida
“Great BBQ and Excellent Sauces!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stopped in for lunch and the place is very woody looking. The waiter told us the tables were made from the original oak from the attic.
I had the the two meat combo, with the Ribs and Beef Brisket (3 bones and 3 generous slices of beef). The ribs fell of the bone, but were not mushy like some places. The Brisket was tasty and thick sliced with a substantial portion, not the thin rubbery stuff from Smokey Bones. Everything was cooked without being marinated in sauces so you can add your flavoring with their house sauces. This is another problem I have with Smokey Bones, everything is smeared in some sort of sauce.

They have a variety of sauces which were excellent.
Chipotle - Spicy and smoky
Some sort of Berry - sweet and tangy but BBQ flavored
Original - another sweet with no hint of berries
Carolina Mustard - Tangy with a vinegary taste

My favorites were the Chipotle and Berry sauces. The portions were generous enough that I had leftovers, even from lunch. Oh and I almost forgot, they serve a smoked corn which is cut straight of the cob - delicious!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Leester2
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I checked this place out last night with friends. The first thing I noticed was the atmosphere--cool yet sophisticated yet still laid back enough that you can dress comfortably. :) There is outside seating, both tables and booths inside, an open kitchen view, candles on tables, several beer options. Felt very much like a real smokehouse but with a freshness about it that attracts all kinds. The history is on back of menu and you can take a tour of the building after your meal. (There's a rooftop garden).

I had Beef Brisket with Mac n Cheese and Baked Beans. My friend had the Steak (huge) with collards. Each came with a sizeable hunk of Texas Toast. Food was great, plenty of food. You'll get a variety of 4 sauces (made in house) to enjoy with your meal. I had the mustard sauce which was awesome for this visiting North Carolinian. We did not get dessert but they had some tasty looking options.

A couple of downsides: They ran out of "Diet Coke". I've never heard of such of thing but that's what we were told. Our waiter was a little spacey; almost like he was new. He explained he only worked the lunch shift usually. :)

Will definitely be back here if I visit Gainesville again!

• Visited March 2012