“Great Atmosphere!”
Review of Smokehouse Downtown Barbeque - CLOSED

Smokehouse Downtown Barbeque
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I checked this place out last night with friends. The first thing I noticed was the atmosphere--cool yet sophisticated yet still laid back enough that you can dress comfortably. :) There is outside seating, both tables and booths inside, an open kitchen view, candles on tables, several beer options. Felt very much like a real smokehouse but with a freshness about it that attracts all kinds. The history is on back of menu and you can take a tour of the building after your meal. (There's a rooftop garden).

I had Beef Brisket with Mac n Cheese and Baked Beans. My friend had the Steak (huge) with collards. Each came with a sizeable hunk of Texas Toast. Food was great, plenty of food. You'll get a variety of 4 sauces (made in house) to enjoy with your meal. I had the mustard sauce which was awesome for this visiting North Carolinian. We did not get dessert but they had some tasty looking options.

A couple of downsides: They ran out of "Diet Coke". I've never heard of such of thing but that's what we were told. Our waiter was a little spacey; almost like he was new. He explained he only worked the lunch shift usually. :)

Will definitely be back here if I visit Gainesville again!

1  Thank Tiffany75

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Went with some friends and glad we did. Our waiter was AMAZING, like seriously. He was attentive without being annoying and offered up a lot of suggestions for different tastes.

We ordered the quesadilla, collard green spring rolls, beef brisket, ribs, and something else. We loved the quesadilla and the spring rolls. It was a twist on something pretty traditional and it totally worked.

Our friends loved the BBQ my husband felt that for basic, traditional BBQ it wasn't the best in town. I enjoyed what I got though. If you want basic, traditional BBQ maybe go someplace else. If you want to try some new and interesting dishes, like the spring rolls, this is the place to go. It's a huge menu, go nuts.

1  Thank chinchillafiesta
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I love BBQ, so we were eager to try the Smokehouse. We were not disappointed. The building itself is lovely. Everything is wood and leather and the windows are stained glass. We were dressed casually and fit right in. This would be a nice place to take a date, pleasant but not fussy.

We were seated right away and the service was quick and welcoming. We decided to share the Fire Pit Feast so we could try a little of everything: beef brisket, chicken, pulled pork, and ribs. We order the portion for two, but when it came, it was huge. (We had the leftovers for lunch the next day.) The friendly waiter brought four sauces, a VERY hot sauce, a mustard based sauce, the house sauce, and my favorite a sweet blackberry sauce. The Feast came with four sides, which were also served in massive amounts. We chose Gouda grits, sweet potato fries, white cheddar mac-n-cheese, and baked beans. The BBQ was very good. Everything was moist and flavorful, especially the brisket and ribs. I loved the mac-n-cheese and baked beans, sweet potato fries are sweet potato fries, but the grits were not so good. They had a weird texture and maybe Gouda and grits are a bad marriage. Otherwise, everything was great. The prices were very reasonable for the size of the portions and the quality of the food. The waiter was attentive without being overbearing.

The only complaint I have (besides the weird grits) is the music. There is a stage and there was a full band playing old rock songs and country music. The band was good, but LOUD. We couldn’t hear one another talk and at times the waiter was practically shouting. I don’t think an electric guitar with an amplifier is really called for. Still, we will definitely go back.

1  Thank MrsTRBE
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Great new restaurant in the heart of Gainesville's downtown dining/entertainment district. Wonderful atmosphere with stained glass windows, professional & attentive staff and an excellent menu which can be viewed online at www.SmokehouseDowntown.com. Smokehouse has a 14 foot long smoker on premises and casual dress is the norm. Although open for lunch and dinner the four of us opted for the latter and each had satisfying experience clearing our plates. The service was superb! The food was surprisingly reasonably priced. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights and you might prefer a table away from the stage area if you want to be able to carry on conversation. An overall excellent experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I was there last week with a party of four. The service was friendly and attentive. I like the decor; soft woods and stained glass windows. The food was good. I had the Smokehouse Chopped Salad and it was awesome. Being a real barbeque lover, I would have liked to have about a 1/3 cup more pulled pork on my greens, but it was still great. The others in my party enjoyed their meals.

1  Thank crawley20