“Meh”

Sarkara Sweets
Gainesville, Florida
“Meh”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I've been to Sarkara three times now, each time hoping that if I tried something different, I'd see what all the hype was about.

Nope.

I bought a few create-your-owns, a few off the shelf, and even some of their non-cake options. All three trips disappointed. There are several other cupcake options in town, including chain restaurants. All are better.

The cupcakes are dry/old tasting (I've had three different cupcakes over the last 1.5 years or so, so it wasn't just a one-time fluke). There is also a chemical taste in everything I've eaten. It just doesn't taste like what a cupcake should. That, coupled with the $4 price tag, has prompted me to make my last visit the final one.

Sorry, Sarkara. I fear I've wasted one of your loyalty punch cards.

Visited March 2014

Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
“Cupcake heaven in gator town”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This small shop in downtown Gainesville is a hidden treasure. I've been in a lot of cupcake shops but had never encountered one that they will custom make your cupcake, until now. In this place you choose your cake flavor, filling, and frosting and for me this is absolutely Awesome. They also have vegan, raw and gluten free cupcakes. Everything is fresh and the taste is heavenly. The place is uniquely decorated and the owners make you feel so welcome. Every time that I go to gator town this place is number one on my list to visit.

Visited September 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“Good taste, kinda pricey”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I tried their watermelon cupcakes which I really liked and would try to recreate. The person I went with tried a pumpkin spice cake with cheesecake frosting. Hers was not very good. It tasted pretty artificial. It's an atmosphere where you can just hang out and have fun with friends. There are board games to play and it's pretty spacious. The staff is nice but compared to the size of the cupcake, it was REALLY expensive. I think I'd try to find another place in the future

• Visited August 2013
Florida, Massachusetts
“Yummm!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Carrot Cake Cupcake and Raspberry Lemonade Cupcake, AWESOME. The atmosphere was great, quiet and colorful, good coffee. The lady at the front was very sweet.

Visited July 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Best Vegan Cupcakes? No. Best Cupcakes Period.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

These cakes are incredibly moist. I'm so tired of dense vegan baked goods. This place has a ridic amount of flavors. My favorite was the lemon tea cupcake with green tea frosting. I was also able to sample the Cherry Limeade, which actually tastes bubbly and effervescent. The marshmallow ganache on the S'mores is delish. You can also never go wrong with their trademark Red Velvet.

Visited June 2013