“Great food and best beer”
Review of Tasty Buddha - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tasty Buddha
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place is so comfortable to go and hangout drink a couple beers and have any of a number of great rice dishes. Be sure to sit on the porch

Reviewed January 24, 2012

After having a terrible experience at another Thai restaurant in Gainesville last week, my faith in good Thai food was restored after eating at Tasty Buddha yesterday!

I was downtown, so the 16th Ave location was just a short drive away. There was plenty of parking, at least when I was there, though the lot had a lot of pizza delivery cars from the place next door, but it seemed safe.

I went back to the counter and was pleasantly greeted by a nice young man whom I told that it was my first time there. He welcomed me and started explaining some of the things he would recommend or not recommend on the menu. I asked what was "vegan" and he began to explain what was true vegan and what had fish sauce. I feel he went well out of his way to give me this information. He stated that I could substitute tofu or tempeh for the meat in any dish.

He suggested the Thai Pork Curry with tempeh substituted. Also, there was a choice of brown or white rice. I ordered the curry with tempeh, and brown rice. I normally order "Thai hot", but decided since this was my first time, to go a little milder. He suggested mild plus, which I got.

The dish was really good! The curry had a great taste, the rice, veggies, and tempeh were cooked perfectly. My only complaint was that it was too much food and that I should have ordered "thai hot".

The atmosphere was good. Though it is counter service and appears more like a fast food restaurant, the music was good, not too loud, and people seemed to be leisurely enjoying their meals, a "chill" environment. Loved it and will be back!

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Went to one at 2410 NW 43 St. It was a bit hard to find, but well worth it. (They are one driveway south of Zaxby's.)

I am rating this $$, but keep in mind the true cost, if you are taking food home. (Or leaving with a very full buddha belly!)

We had been given a certificate to go there, but had we known how good (and generous!) the food is, would have gone without a certificate!

We had a Caesar salad with yummy, tender chicken, the pizza fried rice (Italian sausage, onion, mushroom, pepper, tomato, provolone and parmesan cheese) and an order (lots!) of sweet potato fries. Well, the salad was huge (despite the deceptive black bowl it was served in, which made it look much smaller) and fresh, with the dressing on the side so we could put on as much (or as little) as we wanted. The sweet potato fries were hot and tasty and went perfectly with the salad. We had some of the incredibly good pizza fried rice, then realized we'd never be able to finish it all - we were stuffed! All this food for $20! And we took home most of the fried rice (a meal for two right there).

Other items on the menu included:

Buddha Burgers:

- French fries, skin on, $2.25
- Sweet potato fries, $2.75
- 'Shroom fries, $4.25
- Zucchini fries, $4.75
- Dipping sauces (spicy peanut, Wasabi cream, curry mayo, creamy dill, Thai chili mayo), $.50
- Dipping sauce sampler, choice of 4, $1.00

- Cheese Burger Fried Rice, $8.95
- Pizza Fried Rice, $8.95
- Ahi Tuna Fried Rice, $10.95

From $.75-$4.50, you can add:
Cheese (American, Swiss or Provolone), Bacon, Mushrooms, Onions, Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, Tempeh, Tofu, Veggies, or get extra rice

Salads:
- Sweet Romaine with Goat cheese, walnuts, craisins, cherry tomatoes & homemade raspberry vinaigrette, $3.75(sm)/$6.50(lg)
- Buddha Meets Caesar, $3.50(sm)/$6.00(lg)
- Garden, $3.75(sm)/$6.50(lg)

Add to your salad, for $2.75-$5.75:
Grilled... tempeh, chicken, shrimp, fish, tofu

Children's Menu is available. Plenty of seating - indoors and outdoors.

This was not table service - we ordered at a counter, but the food was brought to us. Staff were all pleasant and helpful, which made the food even more memorable!

I was especially impressed when I used the restroom - while wear and tear was evident in places, it was all very clean.

1  Thank Kilika-FL
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The food is not bad. It just kind of tastes like something you would make at your dorm when your friend said "Oh, it's easy." Kind of inconsistent and bland, but better than Lean Cuisine. Sometimes the curry is really watery and I don't eat much of it.

It seems that every time I go here, it ends up costing me twice what I think it is worth. They have quite a few beers behind the counter and PBR is cheap and bottled (no, I am not an aging hipster, but it 1/3 the price of their other beers).

The rice is good. The veggies seem kind of... I dunno, like the steam-in-the-bag-with-sauce tasting.

In a town that apparently doesn't know how to make curry, this is pretty average. If I recall correctly, they had some sort of curry condiment that was tasty.

The heat levels are pretty conservative, which I think is a good thing.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

Great curries
Great prices
Excellent service everytime we go
All around excellent deal