“Just an okay place to stay”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Spent one night here on our way to Florida. The location was good as it was right off I-75 but that did make it rather noisy during the night. The room was average and maybe not quite as attractive as it might have been. It looked like previous water damage on the ceiling in the bathroom left stains that needed repainting. The room had a very strong perfumed smell that I found hard to live with. Turning on the AC only helped a little so I mentioned it to the desk clerk. She arranged for an "ozone" machine to be brought to the room. After that ran for about an hour, the room smell was fine. This hotel was obviously understaffed on the night we were there and the clerks did their best to handle things, but it was just too much for them. When we came down at 8am for a breakfast that was supposed to last unitl 9, the coffee, milk and juice were all in need of refilling. The front desk clerk was trying to attend to both the desk and the breakfast in addtion to taking care of the breakfast at the Rodeway across the parking lot, just too much for one person. If you really need a room for the night this will work, but don't expect any more than an average stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed for one night during a Gators football weekend, so of course the rates were higher, but overall I was satisfied with my visit at this no-frills, budget hotel. The room was clean, the TV worked, (except for the remote), lots of cable channels, the A/C was in good working order and the shower was nice and hot. Plenty of hot water, for that matter...I was impressed.

Complimentary breakfast is offered, too. It's meager, but they also let me partake across the parking lot at the Quality Inn...shhh!) Try to get a room away from the highway, if possible. If you get stuck on the highway side like I did, just keep the A/C going and you won't hear any noise.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My power was knocked out for two days - over graduation weekend - so I stayed at Rodeway Inn, which was the only place with available rooms that was still affordable (most hotels doubled their prices because of UF graduation). The room was cute and it actually had good shower pressure. The deadbolt was loose, but I felt safe in the area. Enjoyed the pool. Staff at the front desk were very sweet and helpful. We stayed two nights but they sent towels and made our beds, which was nice. Breakfast was not replenished regularly but it was fine for the value. Not the fanciest hotel but it's cheap.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gvilleuser
Reviewed July 2, 2008

This was the WORST experience I've ever had in a hotel room. There were a lot of shady people hanging around it (including homeless people), and they were doing stuff all throughout the night. Some of them were staying in the hotel and called our room 3 times between 12 and 3 am. They roamed the hallway our room was located in all throughout the early morning, screaming. They even knocked on our door at 3 IN THE FREAKING MORNING (we assumed someone they knew stayed in our room before we did or something..). It scared the crap out of me and my mom, but we were too scared to call the front desk and we especially didn't even bother to answer the door. The commotion eventually stopped until about 5 AM when people drove up to the parking spaces in front of our room blasting loud music and making noise. They weren't staying in the rooms next to ours, yet felt compelled to park in front of my room when every other freaking parking space was vacant. I didn't get a wink of sleep and absolutely hate this hotel. The Quality Inn directly facing it, however, is awesome.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Newly remodeled rooms but some things left old and gruby like the bathroom door, switch plates and dirty switches. The towel heads just don't know clean: hair behind bathroom door, hair on shower wall. The carpet however did not make my socks black, the towels were thick and not too hard, and it was clean around the toilet seat.

What I really liked was the concrete block walls and how you hear nothing of either neighbor - very quiet rooms and it seemed pretty decent cars in the parking areas. Another plus was the breakfast - saved me time and $7 at the restaurant as they served up all the regular plus: yogurt, danish, and even excellent bisquits and sausage gravy !!

I think there was however a drug dealer up stairs in the back corner as a crazed looking rasta man kept dragging different people to the parking lot then would get out, run upstairs and come back down in 2-3 minutes. This went on about every hour and a half.

Still - I didn't feel threatened and went calmly to get fresh ice.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank artist56
Reviewed September 7, 2007

The location was a short drive to the University and the center of Gainesville. Our room was clean and pleasant. We enjoyed the pool. The included breakfast was mediocre and not replenished promptly. The desk clerk didn't bother to say thank you when we checked out. A mixed bag.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JungleTrailJones
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We just stayed there for an evening during the week & I was skepticle after reading prevouis posts. We checked the room out before booking and it turned out to be clean & everything in working order. I think the new owner's are in the process of remoldleing the place. Pool was in a repair state so it was closed while we were there. Breakfast was average for a complimentary one and everything else semed to be ok. Not the Hilton but without that price tag too....

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business