“First time & a great time”

Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have stayed at Holiday Inns before but not an Express. This was the best hotel. A friend and I were on an overnight for the Still Stitching with Susan Christmas Party in Trenton, west of Gainesville. My friend had stayed there before and she raved about it. It was everything she said and more. Great hot breakfast, eggs and hotcakes, cinnamon buns, etc.; great beds and pillows, very clean room (an executive room, she said). Roomy and cost not much more than a standard one. Hot coffee, ice water and hot water for tea available after hours, too. Beautifully decorated for Christmas; tree, Santas, vintage hutch....lobby so inviting.
We are coming back for another
Still Stitching event in January and the reservation is already made.
Close to I75 but not disruptive, lots of restaurants and shops within short drive...and UF is a couple miles away.

Room Tip: If you want cold water for later at night, get it in the lobby in coffee cup with lid.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have never heard of such ridiculous hotel policies!!! Especially ones in which hotel employees are not allowed to use their decision making skills to assist with providing great customer service. Customers needs should come first. Due to unexpected reasons I had to stay in Gainesville, FL. I have always liked staying at Holiday Inn Express hotels until yesterday, November 21st. I arrived at the hotel with cash for my room as I didn't have a credit card with me. I was told that I needed a credit card for a $10 incidential hold. I offered to provide the $10 in cash and I could get it back at checkout. I was told I needed a credit card for a $10 hold to cover damages to room. First of all $10 will not cover damages to a room. Secondly, if you hold $10 on a card it isn't a guarantee you will have access to more funds if there are damages to the room. This is the most ridiculous policy I have ever heard of for a hotel. I was told that it was this particular locations policy by the corporate HIE office when I called to file a complaint. I had to leave and purchase a gift card just to stafisfy this facilities request as my belongings were already in the room. They even locked the door to prevent me from re-entering the room as if I were a thief. RIDICULOUS! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!. I have stayed at 5 star hotels which accepts cash deposits and returned the deposits at check-out. I say once again all this trouble for $10. $10????? REALLY?? I actually left the hotel the next day and checked into the hotel next to it. Not only did the hotel next to this one accomodate me but obviously after seeing that I had been at one of the hospitals gave me a good rate and made sure I was very comfortable and checked on me once I was in my room. The hotel next to this one has a credit card deposit policy of $20 but the staff made the decision to not take a deposit from me at all. What is sad is that the security staff at HIE assisted me to my room by wheel chair and he apologized for the inconvenience. I will not EVER stay at this facility again! Oh, needless to say, I spoke with the manager the next morning and stated to him that it appears customer service isn't a primary focus at his establishment. I explained to him that policies are great but when you see it isn't accomodating your guest in a positve way it is time to possibly revamp the policy. To lose $100 for a $10 credit card policy isn't good business sense. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JShaw_travels
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I arrived well after midnight on an unexpected trip. They were courteous and helpful. I had a huge, clean, recently refurbished room with a really comfortable bed all ready to go with no notice. It was a convenient location and a good value compared to other places I have stayed there. I would definitely go back and highly recommend it.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Quietly tucked among the tall pines just off of I-75 (exit 384, SW Archer Rd) is this clean and convenient property. The room was clean and comfortable. We did have a slight problem with a musty odor in our room. However, housekeeping immediately responded to our request and sent a staff member to our room to address the odor. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive. The complimentary breakfast had a wide variety to select from and was always clean and well stocked. This seems to be a popular hotel for Gator alumni as it was booked completely full for homecoming weekend. It's a family friendly hotel convenient to many local restaurants, familiar national chains, shopping and UF Shands Medical Center.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are usually quieter. Conveniently located to University of Florida campus a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The bed was extremely hard, and while they provided a "soft" and "firm" pillow, both were actually "noticeably full of cotton balls." On top of that, I spent all night feeling as if bugs were jumping onto me. Breakfast was good, but next time we will pay the extra money to stay in a room that is actually comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Isanc012
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We picked this jhotel because we have been staying at other Holiday Inn Express in the past and have always been pleased. Well this particle one one blew us away. The room was beatiful and comfortable. It was well appionted and just a great place to relax after a 14 hour drive. Within walking distance were resturaunts and some shopping, although we did not shop we were just looking for a good meal. The room was verycomfortable with two king size beds with large pillows and pillowtop matresses. With the refridgerator and microwave and in room coffee. we were set to unwind. The complimetry breakfast was great with and nice array of choices. As we will be traveling down to florida a few times every year we will make this a regular stoip in travels.

Room Tip: the room we got was on the 4 th floor and it was quiet and well appoited.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is below average in room and air quality and we have been in 2 different rooms and both smelled of mold/mildew. We can't wait to check out. Everything else is just average at the hotel and there is not an inviting ambience. Staff is neutral and were not apologetic about the smell in the rooms.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bwdw
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear bwdw,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M