“Cancelled our reservation AFTER confirming the DAY OF check-in”

Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My friends and I got our reservation CANCELLED because they "overbooked" AFTER we called and confirmed our reservation THE DAY OF our check-in. Apparently at first they had one bed for four people with no A/C (unsatisfactory!) and then it turned in to "I'm cancelling your reservation. Have a nice day" and hung up on us. Terrible and rude. We booked weeks in advance and then this happened leaving us with nowhere to stay. Unfortunately, I do NOT recommend this location.

Room Tip: I don't know anything about their rooms because they cancelled our reservation.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank emmackey
TammieVaughn, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I have no knowledge of this incident and we were not sold out this weekend. If you would please contact me at 352-376-0004 or hiegainesville@aol.com I would love to discus this situation with you.
Tammie Vaughn, GM

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Recent 2-night June trip to scout out UF as potential college. First time in Gainesville. Chose this suite b/c I like REAL suites with a bedroom door. Room 403. Paid $70 + points per night, which was a steal. Loved the layout. Plenty of room to walk around, even with the sofa bed open, which is rare.

Bathroom was recently renovated with granite, and this bathroom had 2 sinks with a very large vanity. Also a huge closet for a hotel room (and shelf on top), and a nice walk-in shower (not an accessible room). Full-length mirror, lots of floor space, wooden towel shelf built into wall. Toilet separated by a wall from the door. Bathroom is inside bedroom. Nice to have makeup wipes as a toiletry item! Two minor bathroom negatives: the rod on the shower door is the only place to hang a towel, and the sinks are so far away, it seems like a rod or hook near the sink is needed. Also, the hanging organizer on the shower had seen better days and was too short for me to put some full-size products upright. I used a washcloth on the raised tile by the door, instead.

We never heard a peep from anyone else, but we always request a quiet room on a high floor, away from elevator & ice machines. Only sound I heard was when I was packing at 11 am and I heard a faint vacuum from the bathroom. I couldn't even hear the (not quiet) TV or people talking in the main room when I was in the bathroom, which is really kind of amazing.

Kitchenette area is right next to the door with sink and mirror for a 2nd person to do makeup. Also a 2nd small closet on the opposite side of the door, too. Two flat-screen TVs.

Very nice upholstered dining chairs with rollers (smart!) were easy to maneuver. You could easily seat 7-8 people in the room. Pictures of suite taken in 2012 shown on TA are still accurate.

Great accessibility to outlets except on one side of bed. Multiple areas to charge all our devices in the main room, which was a nice plus.

Built in shelf next to bedroom dresser will hold a very large suitcase.

A/C worked fine (both units). We were on highway side, and it is close, but I always bring earplugs (try the silicone ones!) for hotels to ensure a good sleep. The other two people slept fine without them, but you can hear the louder cars/trucks.

Large parking lot, but only one entrance. I could see parking between the building and interstate, but no one parked there as it's pretty isolated. Cracker Barrel is next door, across a parking lot.

Staff were extremely hospitable at check-in and smiled and greeted us each time we passed them. ("Brie" and one other woman checked us in.) When I called to ask some questions before I booked, woman was very nice and truly enthusiastic about the new pillows that were just put in the rooms that week. New pillows are nice, but enthusiasm showed they liked their job and wanted me to be comfortable: great customer service is even better!

We didn't try breakfast, but it looked like a nice area. Complimentary cookies were available. Laundry room was right next to elevator on our floor (4th) with glass walls and door. We didn't use pool or see the exercise facilities. We didn't consider the elevator slow and we were on the top floor.

If you Google this hotel, you will find every imaginable restaurant and convenience store you want within a mile or two. Told my hubby that if we needed lumber, yes, there's even a Lowe's. Only a few minutes from UF, but Gainesville has the slowest stoplights we've ever seen, so what should be a 7-minute drive turns into a 15-20 minute drive. (It's not just the hotel exit light!)

Housekeeping was excellent: never interrupted our stay (Do Not Disturb posted), even on checkout day when we left right at checkout time. Thoroughly cleaned each day, and our teen liked that they made the sofa bed "better and fancier than they usually do."

The only negative about the room is that there are a few things that show it's age - a bit of grout missing at one tile junction in the middle of the bathroom, sloppy workmanship by the shower door, dropped ceiling tiles that had a couple of notches in them. The room furniture wasn't anything special, but the bed was comfortable (firm mattress, YMMV!), I slept well, loved the bathroom. I usually like brand new or recently refurbished rooms. I'm super picky about cleanliness and they passed that test (no bugs, no hairs, and yes, I look at mattresses first thing when I check in!). The pluses far outweighed the minor negatives. Only reason I didn't give it a 5 is that it's not entirely refurbished.

I wouldn't hesitate to book this room again if UF is in our pocketbook's future. ;)

Room Tip: If you have Priority Club/IHG Rewards points, using the new cash with points options can help you ge...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PickyHotelShopper
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had stopped here once before and weren't dissatisfied, but this year, we had our small mini-Schnauzer (hypo-allergenic and non-shedding) with us. As a result, we were required to stay in a smoking room (along with paying a $25 pet fee). I honestly thought my husband and I (both non-smokers) could handle this for one night but was I wrong! This was a terrible night! Neither my husband nor I slept (maybe the dog did?) and our clothes stunk for days afterwards. For very little more, we could have stayed at the Hilton which doesn't punish you because you're a dog owner.This Holiday Inn is not, in fact, a "pet friendly" hotel at all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank erjawa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear erjawa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

I was concerned to read that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Regarding pet policy, our hotel makes it a point to ensure that our policies are well planned and in accordance with our goal of providing the best accomodation to each and every guest. My apologies for any inconvenience or discomforts this has caused you.

Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by the hotel's management and will be used to improve guest services. We hope you give us another chance of hosting you again in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 14, 2013

On a recent driving trip throughout several southern states we had occasion to stop at this property at both the start and end of our 12-day trip. While we stayed at several other Holiday Inn Express properties and the Hyatt in New Orleans during this trip, we were really impressed with this Holiday Inn just off I-75 in Gainesville. The on and off access to I-75 couldn't be better, there are numerous places to eat of all types very close by, and the property itself was one of the cleanest and prettiest we have seen. The staff were very friendly and highly efficient, the rooms were spotless, the furnishings new and all in good order, and the complimentary breakfast was excellent. we will certainly return to this property whenever it fits our travel plans and would not hesitate to give it a high recommendation to anyone needing to spend time in Gainesville or just stop overnight if driving I-75.

Room Tip: This is not a property offering great views, but any room seems to offer a quiet environment to get...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Recently I stayed at the HIE and had a great experience. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They had warm cookies out during check in that were yummy! We didnt have a chance to eat the complimentary breakfast but it looked good from a far.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Decided to stay here after driving conditions in 75 North got very bad. Walked in at 10 o clock at night, front desk gave us a discounted rate and was very helpful after an initial cell phone mistake had booked up as the wrong hotel. The building is new and clean, and the room is your average hotel room, but very clean and comfortable. A great place to stay if you need to be in Gainesville. Free wifi is amazing! I can never understand 5 star hotels that will charge you for wifi when great value hotels like this will include it in the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Caram86
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is clean and comfortable. We stay at HIE very often and it is usually our first choice. We used a coupon in a book we picked up at a rest area (always do this - we've saved $$$s over the years doing so) so we got a great deal on our room. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast area was spacious and clean. Our spacious room was updated and clean and the ceiling fan is a nice touch. Breakfast items were restocked quickly. They have plenty of luggage carts and ice machines. Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family