“Watch your wallet!”

Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was excited about the large room but not at all with the staff or the cleanliness of the room. There were dead bugs in the shower and cobwebs behind the toilets. I found food wrappers on the floor under the bedspread when I pulled it back from the bed. As a priority member I usually am greated with a welcome package or at least a bottle of water but evidently brand loyality isn't of importance to the staff or management of this hotel.

I noticed after I stayed I was charged a $200 cleaning fee for smoking and I don't smoke. When I called to speak with the management about it they matter-of-factly said that the documentation on my stay shows smoking in the room and the charge stands. As a Platinum member of the priority club I would expect a little more respect and better explaination since I show my loyalty to the company (I spent over 50 nights in the chain last year), I asked what proof they had that a non-smoker smoked in the room and was told it's documented but there are no pictures or proof that I smoked...um because I didn't and I don't!

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Disenchanted_1212
TammieVaughn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Ma'am, I am sorry that you do not agree with our policies from July 2012 when you were a guest at our facility. You left me a message on Monday after speaking with Carl, my Assistant Manager, I returned your call on Monday and on Tuesday leaving messages for you to please return my call, as of this time I have not heard from you. I would like to discuss this matter with you. This charge was posted to your folio at the time of your departure in July of 2012, it is not a new charge.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is one of the nicest Holiday Inn Express hotels in which we have stayed. We had an absolutely huge king bed room with a sofa, two chairs, a microwave, and refrigerator. It was immaculately clean and nicely decorated. (The only odd thing was that you enter the vanity area as soon as you come in the room, although the bathroom area is separate. It was odd, but not a problem.) The TV was a large flat-screen model with great reception and alot of channels.
This property is conveniently situated right off I-75, but close to the University of Florida campus. There is a Cracker Barrel restaurant right beside it, but many other restaurant choices in the immediate area. The parking lot is well-lighted.
There was a very personable young man at the front desk when we checked in. We asked about a certain restaurant nearby that we wanted to try. He knew just where it was and gave us very good directions. There were always fresh cookies, coffee, and tea in the lobby. (We have been to other hotels where the cookies just never seemed to be there during our stay.)
The complimentary breakfast was very good. We especially liked the applesauce cups that were available. (We have never seen these at other hotels in which we have stayed.)
I have only two cons about this property. The bed (very comfortable) only had a very warm comforter on top and not a flat sheet underneath it. On the particular evening on which we stayed, the comforter made us burn up, but we could have used just a light sheet. The only other negative was that it seemed to be a very large property for just one elevator. This was not a big problem for us, but I can't imagine having just one elevator here on a home football weekend.
All in all, we had a very nice stay and would certainly stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Have stayed here several times and the owners are always improving the hotel. New TVs, new paint, changing the furniture(TV area), work on hallways, handicapped door openers. Great breakfast and staff is very attentive. The pancake maker is cool, not messy and makes two pancakes. Helpful staff at desk in case you forget something(toothpaste). 4 story with ice machines on 1 and 3. Pool is in good shape and they put some heat in it over the winter months which is a nice touch. Convenient location right off I-75 at Archer Rd., just west and north of Archer. Free parking, and free wifi.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I think when we checked in was the nicest part of our entire stay! The rooms were not cleaned very well. Cobwebs everywhere!!!! GROSS! We had lady bugs, or Asian beetles, whatever they were, flying all over our room all night long. When we brought the to the front desks attention they wouldn't do a darn thing about it. They told us that it was "season" for them and they aren't allowed to kill them. Fine, whatever...but DO SOMETHING FOR US! Different room maybe? Nothing off out bill either!! It was completely disgusting! And rude!!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear LsMom21209,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am happy to read that you had a smooth check in. I am sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the poor customer service and cleanliness of the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 5, 2013

great proximity to just about anything, right next to the interstate, not very comfortable, alright for a quick place to stay, but I thought it was pretty expensive for a "non-football night" (not associated with a Gator game). come on people you're not running the Biltmore Hotel!!!

Room Tip: not next to the Interstate!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear iceman2880,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We loved everything about this place. Well okay, the breakfast could have been a tad bit better but it had hot eggs and sausage, yogurt, sweet rolls and a little bit of fresh fruit, cereal and COFFEE, hot tea and cocoa. Pretty decent coffee at that. I didn't see make your own waffles and/or pancakes at this one, but that doesn't mean they weren't there because I was with a soccer team this time and in town for a tourney so the dining room was very crowded at 8AM. :-)

Our team manager booked a group of rooms for our team and we were given the choice of a regular room or a larger suite for $10 more. We had planned on having 2 more students with us so we booked the larger room. Honestly based upon the reservation experience which was when they finally got their phone system problems worked out (I was disconnected once and put on hold (which got connected to another guest by accident). But when I finally got through the reservation was so efficient that I thought something must have gone wrong. I confirmed a few days later just to be sure they had me in the system correctly and that was also very efficient. All I can figure is that they had been training a new girl. All that to say I was very pleasantly surprised when we approached the hotel to find it clean and even had some decorative touches that seemed above this category of hotel. There is a nice dining table in the lobby and a sign that says "no food or drink in the lobby". I found that strange since it's very close to the coffee service and the free freshly baked (WARM) cookies!!!

The elevators are a tad slow but as I mentioned the hotel was full. My biggest shock was when we opened the door to our hotel room and not only found 2 HUGE almost floor to ceiling windows but as we walked further into the room realized it continued around the corner in an "L" shape and there was another floor to ceiling window at the end of the "L". Actually picture a "7" without the slant with the door being and the bottom tip of the 7. The 2 (VERY COMFY) queen sized beds along the vertical line of the 7, a nice dining table and stand with micro and mini fridge in the corner (intersection) of the 7 and as you turn left around the corner ANOTHER TV, two nice easy chairs and a small love seat (that sits along the other window) in the horizontal part of the 7.

My son was thrilled since he needed a nice place to rest and do homework (also a college student) in between games. Since we're Priority Club members we also got a 2 PM check out and no one hurried us! We got back to the room at 1:40 after a rainy game on Sunday, my son jumped into a hot shower, we threw our few belongings together and were out by 2:02.

I washed his uniform on Saturday evening and huge it to dry in front of the air conditioner and the washer/dryer were very fairly priced!! I've been in hotels that it took $5 just to wash a couple uniforms in 1 load!

Needless to say our trip was pretty relaxing even in these circumstances and even considering we got some rain for the tournament.

Room Tip: I think it's worth it to upgrade to the "L" shaped suite. These suites are large and s...
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. Had no problems. Easy check in/out, free parking in well lit lot. Good breakfast in morning with lots of choices. Free wifi, easy to login. Clean and comfortable. Near the highway, but we didn't hear a single car from the room. Best rate in town by far when we were booking. Booked direct on Holiday Inn website for best price w/ discounts. Plus, no need to pay in advance, held room w/ cancellation up to 24 hours before w/ no fee. Will stay again and continue to use Holiday Inn.