Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Lawrenceville, Illinois
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Place to stay..overall clean, rooms decorated nicely. The staff is friendly. I don't know about breakfast as we just got in our room. Cracker Barrell next door is handy. This is a good place to stay over night on your travels. My only complaint is the smell of cigarette smoke when you come in the hotel. I am an ex-smoker and don't mind the smell of smoke but stale old smoke is not a pleasant greeting.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Decatur, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I usually stay at Holiday Inn's on my way to and from South Florida. This is possibly the worst I've experienced. Musty smell in room. TV only worked after swiveling set and plugging jack back in. Toilet kept running. Lifting the lid to the cistern revealed a thick layer of mold. Bathroom shower curtain reeked. If the wind is blowing across the garbage bin at the next door Cracker Barrel the smell is revolting. Stay away from this overpriced dump.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bardian68
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear bardian68,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the smell and the room amenities. I understand the inconvenience this has caused you. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Zelyn N
IHG Care

Travelers are raving about these Gainesville hotels

fkennedy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

we stayed here one night and i would not hesitate to go back, very friendly staff and clean room, what more could you ask for

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We’ve have stayed here a couple times when visiting our son at the University; it is by far the best hotel we’ve stayed at in Gainesville. The pool area is clean and well maintained, the rooms are perfect, oversized and very well maintained. The breakfast is very plentiful and always clean and well organized and the staff is very professional and pleasant – we just love this hotel!

Room Tip: Every room is equally nice
1 Thank BakerCL
Cooper City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Like many parents, we went up to move our child out of her dorm. It also happened to be Graduation weekend and Gainesville Hotels were sold out. I felt pretty lucky to get a room at a okay rate for the weekend. I did have to take a double room instead of a King to get the okay rate as they added extra charges to book a King.

Since I am a Priority Club Member I had asked for a quite room away from the Highway. I was given room 301 which overlooks the highway but the desk girl told me the road noise would be minimal. I should have known right then since there were two people ahead of me fighting to switch out their rooms what I was in for.

The room it self was very average in appearance and everything seemed clean. It was the bathroom that was the horror.

I went in to the bathroom, which has the toilet and shower together with the sink out in the main room and looked into the shower at what looked like to me to be a puddle of vomit in the white tub. Well upon closer inspection it was rust spots that had formed a big puddle shape because there was no enamel left on the tub in that section. I went to move the shower curtain back in place but we realized the shower rod was falling out of the wall and the shower curtain was torn. I pulled a towel off the rack and noticed it too was rusty and was starting to come out of the wall ( Now remember there are no Hotel rooms left in Gainesville at this point)

So we decided to just tough it out as it was at least clean. We did end up with water all over the floor after our showers and a puddle of water formed in the tub and stayed right in the same spot as the rust (which explains the rust) since the shower was poorly sloped.

The other thing about this hotel room is the ac in the room turns all the way off when it cycles and then comes back on with a loud noise which woke me up every time. It didn't matter what setting you used it was all the same. So the desk girl was right, who could hear the road noise with the ac turning on and off all night.

The Hotel does have free WIFI, Parking and an Okay hot breakfast but my other complaint is they put the smoking rooms on the first floor and the whole hallway reeked of cigarettes as you are walking to get your breakfast, yum. ( We took the stairs since the elevator is sooo slow)

When we went to check out, we had filled out a comment card with all of these problems and handed it to the girl on duty. She looked at it and asked did you get a bill under your door? I said no and she looked at our room and said okay you prepaid, all set. Have a good day.

This will be a last resort hotel as I said it is at least clean and the location is good.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room not on the highway they might honor your request.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear sflgatormom,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Katie J
IHGCare
Nanaimo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The coupon I had was dismissed out of hand....I understand that there is an availability clause, but a little bit of tact could have been used. We stayed because of previous Holiday Inn Express experiences. Not sure if we got the senior rate and they never asked for my priority club card. Got a room on the fourth floor, took some luggage up and then went for supper. By the time we got back, the elevator was out of service..."repairman on his way should be fixed in a couple of hours". So up the stairs we went .....we're seniors and I have a heart condition, so it was a bit of a struggle with the last of our luggage. At 9:30pm I phoned the front desk to see if the elevator was fixed and was told that it would be out of order until a part could be obtained...a couple of days. If we wanted to find another hotel tonight, they wouldn't charge us for the room.....kind of late to start looking for a new hotel. So, most of the complimentary services that they bragged about....such as coffee and cookies or computer use, etc were on the main floor, and not worth the effort of climbing back up the stairs. We did get one girl to help us down the stairs with some luggage the next morning. At the front desk the women working there seemed more concerned with each other than us checking out and seemed upset that we paid cash rather than on our credit card. No apology for the elevator, no discount, no thank you for staying.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Gainesville/I-75 SW, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Jim W,

Thank you for your recent stay and leaving us feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience the elevator outage caused. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
IHGCare
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed in Gainsviile, less than two hours from Orlando, for the night prior to our rental house being available outside of Orlando. The Holiday Inn Express is conveniently located just off the 384 exit ramp and next door to a Cracker Barrel.
The staff is super nice and helpful and the hotel is very nice. There is a nice size outdoor, heated swimming pool and a fitness center adjacent to the pool. The Holiday Inn Express hotels always offer a breakfast buffet including eggs, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy, cereals, yogurt, breakfast breads, coffee, juices etc.
Loved this hotel!