“Clean hotel, great service, and just a short drive away from the hub of downtown”

Comfort Inn University
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Definitely a hidden gem at just $61 a night. My friend had wanted to stay at the other Comfort Inn she was familiar with, but we were both delightfully pleased when we arrived at this one and it was even cleaner than the other one.

I found this hotel through Tripadvisor and I can see why it was ranked #6 out of 44 hotels in Gainesville. Very friendly staff, very nice clean rooms, and even includes a kitchenette complete with microwave and fridge. Nice! They also have a computer in the lobby so you can book on http://hotels.com and get some discounts on your reservation. Hehehe.

It's a bit out of the way from the nightlife in downtown, but its close enough to campus. And a short trip on I-75 brings the mall within close reach, too.

Only cons were the shower floor was a tad dingy and they didn't have bandaids (my friend had a freak accident with the zipper on her makeup case ripping off 2 layers of skin!). I'd stay again, but next time I'll pack bandaids.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MsJulicious

Reviewed March 25, 2009

We were greeted by a friendly staff member, very welcome arriving blurry eyed in the middle of the night, and slept great here. Rooms were very quiet, and the beds remarkably comfortable, although like I said, we were rather tired. Seemed to be a lot of good options at breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurascudder
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The staff was very kind and helpful. The beds were awsome,
I am a picky about beds. Some school teams were there and
it was frustrating to get to the food for our breakfast. I don't
know why they let so many kids stay there. It is inconvient for the
guests sometimes.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We stopped here on our way to Sanibel Island and it made a nice day's drive next day to get there at check-in time. Our original room was supposed to be non-smoking and I believe it was but the hallway reeked of cigarette smoke and it eventually was very noticeable in the room. The desk clerk, Brad(he gets a gold star), was very accomodating in moving us to another floor. The room was more spacious than the one we had. The room was very clean and the bed was comfy. Breakfast was very good and the breakfast room was spacious. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed September 14, 2008

When staying at this hotel, one must take the good with the bad. The good things about the hotel are that it has a good continental breakfast and was convenient. However, the one bedroom suite had a "queen sofa sleeper" in it and it absolutely was not enough room for two teenagers. There was no way it was a queen bed. My son slept on the floor after two hours of trying to fall asleep in the bed. Also, we went through three rooms and they all smelled of smoke, in a non-smoking room. The front desk staff was accommodating and changed the room with no problem. Finally, we ended up in "The Carter Suite(210)" and it was decent. We did have a weird smell in the room, but it wasn't too bad. Also, being right next to the elevator in a busy hotel, you could hear it every time it went up or down in the bedroom. Make sure you get a room on the street side of the hotel, not the highway because it is very noisy. Lastly, on check out day, the elevator was not running correctly and was very slow. The bell kept going off as people got stuck in it. This created a major inconvenience for those checking out on the fourth floor. Overall, the hotel was okay, I may stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CIWGeneralManager, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2008

Dear Goldstein Family,

I want to apologize for the events that occurred during your stay with us on August 16, 2008. We consistently strive to offer each and every one of our guests the highest level of service, and atmosphere conducive to the expectations you deserve. We certainly do not like to hear when our guests have a less than satisfactory stay, and understand that these irregularities can be very upsetting.

Once more, our apologies for your unfavorable experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Comfort Inn West to replace the negative impression with a positive one!

Jennifer Curfman

Reviewed July 27, 2007

Only stayed for one night. Very nice, clean, comfortable, and friendly. Many restaurants and stores very near by. Close to the interstate. Nice breakfast with room to move around. Wish that we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Clancysclan
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Gainesville to attend my son's wedding in Bronson Florida. I chose it for the location and the amenities. Especially the highspeed internet connection. As the wedding was last minute due to military deployment, etc., I would need to work from my room while I was there. I arrived on Thursday and the hotel's server was down from late Thursday until Saturday late afternoon. When I inquired about checking out so that I could go elsewhere, I was told no refund would be given. Nice stay otherwise. Clean rooms, decent breakfast(more fruit, yogurt, etc. would be nice) the coffee in the lobby was a nice touch and the location is near shopping, restaurants and I-295.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business