WINNER WONDERLAND

Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Atlanta, GA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,605 helpful votes
“First Class Conference Facility, but ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have good and bad things to report. First, the good - as a conference facility the Hilton couldn't be better. It is located near Interstate 75, it's easy to find (I found it alone and after dark), the parking is ample and well lit, and shopping is nearby. The conference rooms are well appointed with a knowledgable staff, the room temperature was perfect, and excellent food was provided for breakfast and other breaks. Another highlight was Albert's, the on-site restaurant. Albert's was more like fine dining than hotel food. Now the bad - I spent two nights there, checking in late at around 8:30 PM. My room wasn't ready yet. I heard this same report from numerous other guests. The front desk told me to have a drink at the bar and handed me a voucher. What I wanted was to relax, shower, and review some notes. When I got in my room, I found the carpet worn and stained, the room did not smell fresh, and I had to clean the bathroom sink before I could use it. The hallway carpets are also worn and stained. My room TV was great and the work desk was nicer than most, but the rooms need upgrades for sure. Our meeting sponsors did an outstanding job planning and presenting, so all things considered, it was very worthwhile.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GuyFromAtlanta_GA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Do not stay here if possible. Expensive qualtiy inn. The manager Iskari is horrible. No social skills at all. The toilets don't work. The rooms are noisy and the food is OK. Front desk is handled by bitter people with no hospitality at all. If you want to be treated like a rude foreigner than this is the perfect hotel for you. If you want to be treated with respect go to another hotel or Orlando.

Room Tip: don't stay here.
3 Thank Wallace H
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Good afternoon Wallace H,

My name is Jason Keltz and I am the Front Office Manager at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel and I am writing you in regards to your most recent stay with us. I first want to deeply apologize to the way that you were treated by the manager and also for the way some of my front desk staff treated you, I apologize that you feel that they are bitter people that have no social skills. I would like to know more about what happened so I can address it with the manager and also with the front desk staff. I am also deeply concerned that the staff did not give you the respect that you deserve.

Please email me at jason.keltz@hilton.com or I can be reached at 352-371-3600 ext.1216

I thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us and I look to hearing back from you. I hope that you have a great start to your week.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I originally had a problem trying to book the room online for the price advertised at $90. When prompted to "BOOK NOW", the price came up at $99. I called the hotel directly and spoke to the night manager and explained my dilemma. While not initially convinced she should give me the price , she eventually caved in and gave me the $90 price. The pool was being renovated, so I think they had a special deal going. The hotel is conveniently located near the University of Florida, and around the corner from plenty of Shopping and restaurants. The hotel staff was cheerful and quick to check us in. The room was well appointed, spacious and clean including a microwave and fridge. We also tried the room service, which was quick and well done. The check out was as easy as could be. A good place to stay.

Tequesta, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were in Gainesville last weekend for a 1 night stay. It was a football game day so hotel options in town were overpriced & minimal. I booked this hotel because the price did not seem to be overly inflated compared to some of the limited service properties in town....I figured for the same or similar price, might as well go with the full service property. At the last minute, I submitted a Priceline bid & was able to reduce my rate even further, which was surprising due to the business a Gators football game brings to town.

Anyhow, arrived mid afternoon & was very pleased with the location, the greeting by the front desk clerks & the clean, modern look of the property. Standard Hilton product, I'd say.

We did ask for double beds but none were available which I understand it was not guaranteed so that was ok. We then ordered a rollaway & was told there may not be any left but we were lucky and one was quickly dropped off at the room. These issues are no surprise when there is a game going on & you can expect large groups to be occupying the rooms to capacity...if its not clearly guaranteed, you cannot count on a specific bedding set up.

Room was fresh but showed some damage in the way of a relatively small hole in the bathroom drywall, ink markings on the ottoman & stains on the carpet....I'd guess these are signs of the type of use this property gets by the abundance of partying fans that make up a large portion of the business here....it was no big deal to me, particularly at the reduced rate I was paying but I'd expect some would find this unacceptable....?

We enjoyed a couple cocktails in the lounge and service & prices were in line with what we expected. Drove a couple streets up to Archer to find some dinner & there was an abundance of choices.

In the morning, we were pleased to find complimentary coffee set up outside the restaurant and also noted that "Starbucks" was offered for purchase near the front desk for those that just can't live without the name brand stuff.

All in all, pleased with our stay!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good afternoon traveltina ,

I am Jason Keltz and I am the Front Office Manager at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center and Hotel. I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy day to tell us how great your stay was.

I want to apologize that there was some damage to your room. If you can email me at jason.keltz@hilton and include your room number so I can make sure our staff takes care of that issue.

Again, I thank you for taking time out of your busy day to let us know how your stay was. We all look forward to you coming back and staying with us again.

At your service,
Gainesville Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but we ate our Thanksgiving meal at the hotel in Albert's Restaurant. It was a buffet. The food was wonderful. There was many choices. There was a salad bar, appetizers, cheese and fruit platters, a dessert table, plus the meat, and sides. It was laid out in an orderly fashion. The cost of the buffet included the entire meal plus drinks no alcohol though. I would recommend to have reservations as they were super busy by the time we were leaving. The service was wonderful. I would definitely think about going next year.

3 Thank northfloridafolks
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Well this is our second time staying at the hilton. My wife and I are moving to gainesville and lloking for a place so we stayed at the hilton while we look for a house and our stay was nice there the place was clean and the rooms were clean and the beds were so freash our check in was easy and the staff was all friendly.... We went to alberts to eat breakfast bar there and I must say the food was outstanding. The manger there was friendly and outgoing, Wagee I think was his name and our server Dana was great she took really good care of us. If you stay at the hilton you have to go have the breakfast it was out of this world,,, Thank you hilton

2 Thank terry g
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We booked our room through hotels.com and selected two full beds. upon checkin I was told that we were given one king bed. since I was traveling with my husband and two children that would not work, however I was told there was no other options, no rollaway beds and was offered blankets and pillows so that we could sleep on the floor. Mind you, my 7 year old is in a cast and my 4 year old had chronic asthma and currently had a respiratory infection. But it was already 9 pm so what choice did we have? We purchased an air mattress and begrudgingly went to out room. Finally settled and ready for bed, but the ruccous from the college kids in the next room went on until 4 am.! At this point I hadn't been offered so much as a free breakfast for my inconvenience. Obviously, the management at this hotel has no idea what it's like to be working parents who both work hard to afford these types of vacations. I'm tired, disgusted and disappointed with the Hilton hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Namccarth626
Jason K, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Good afternoon Namccarth626,

First and foremost I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your recent stay with us. We try to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and based on your feedback you did not have the type of stay we want all of our guests to experience when they stay at the Hilton University of Florida. As for you not getting the bed type which you reserved, I want you to know that we make every possible effort to ensure our guests that book through a 3rd party that they get the request for the certain bed type that they wanted. When booking through hotels.com, or expedia.com, or any of the other 3rd party channels, bed type is not guaranteed but is based upon the hotels availability. In the future I would suggest that you book directly through the hotel and that way your bed type is guaranteed.
As for the noise complaint, we do want all of our guests to get a good night’s rest and when they stay at our hotel noise from other guests should not be an issue but this time it was. We did have a group that stay with us and whenever we have a large group stay with us we have a code of conduct that they are aware of and one of the codes is a certain level of noise that they are allowed to make. I can assure you that yelling in the hallway is a clear violation of that code.
I am sorry that when you brought up your issues to the front desk staff they did not try to make it right for you and I can assure you that I will speak with each of them and share your comments and that way something like this does not happen again. I want to make it right to you and if you do not mind calling me at 352-371-3600 ext. 1216 or email me at jason.keltz@hilton.com
I again want to apologize for the inconveniences you had with us but more importantly I want to thank you for letting us know how we could have done a better job at making your stay more enjoyable. I hope that you have a Happy Thanksgiving.