“Great Room / Horrible Front Desk Clerk” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville

Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Montreal, Canada
“Great Room / Horrible Front Desk Clerk”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here one night due to being a Hilton HHonors member. The hotel and rooms are great. And the lobby is posh and second-to-none. However, I am giving this place only 3 stars due to one of the *worst* front desk clerks I have ever met, and I have traveled all over the world, so that is saying a lot.
She worked during the day on Friday, October 26th, and I won't put her name here, lest it be removed. But Hilton should be ashamed of hiring such a lazy, rude, and useless front desk clerk. Many guests were waiting to check-in, even though rooms were ready. She should be hitting the unemployment line, if there is any justice in the world.
(by comparison, the next morning, the front desk clerks were awesome)
I most likely will never return to this location again, because of that one horrible person. In a hotel, the first impression you get is of the person welcoming you. She was someone who refused to take any action to help anyone, coming up with every excuse in the book. Terrible.
p.s.: The location isn't actually in the cool part of UF. You will need a car to get to the hip spots of W University Ave. If you're looking to walk in the fun parts of downtown, this is NOT the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank CanadianTimelord
HiltonUF, Front Office Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear CanadianTimelord,

I first want to apologize for your experience at our hotel. I am deeply sorry that you did not get the service we want all of our guest to receive when they stay with us. If you can please email me at Jason.keltz@hilton.com so you can provide me with more details and I can address the issue you had with the front desk agent promptly. I thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to let us know how we can improve our services as I hope you will give us a second chance so we can show you what you experienced was not the norm.

HiltonUF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Alright. I haven't stayed here for a few years. But it is a Hilton. I can rely on quality maintaining. Right? Wrong! This nice hotel right across from University of Florida has felt the depression. I don't mean economically speaking, necessarily; but as it would be defined by psychologists. Somebody in management of this hotel is depressed and that has filtered into how this hotel is maintained. First, the bathroom in our room: the tub is in a state of obvious disrepair - but nothing that some fresh calk couldn't fix. There is mildew between tiles and the curtain is also mildewed. The vent is full of dust and who-knows-what-else. And there was that dead roach by the bed... We went for the $15 buffet breakfast on Friday mining. No glasses out for juice. The omelette station featured empty condiment holders and the cook attempting to clean a pan that ha stuck- on egg with a dirty rag. I have been here 3 days and cannot bring myself to order an omelette. Then there are these strangely designed booths that look like they are encircled by mattresses. All in all, this hotel can be fixed with just someone paying attention. It can't be that hard.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank FoodKnight1
Jason K, Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear FoodKnight1
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel and I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and daily operations. We appreciate your loyalty to us and to our brand and we're sorry we let you down. I can assure you that the health and safety of our guest is a top priority and we've work with a pest control company to rectify any possible issue. I've also talked to our housekeeping staff about our strict protocols for servicing rooms and emphasized the importance of a fresh appearance for our guests.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you return for much better experience.

Wagih William
Director of Food & Beverage
wwilliam@hiltongainesvilleuf.com
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I routinely travel to Gainesville for business and, whenever possible, I stay at the UF Hilton on 34th St. This hotel is meticulously maintained and I know that every detail will be attended to my fullest satisfaction. I also like that the hotel is a very short drive from almost everywhere in Gainesville, and right across the street from the University of Florida.

My typical stay is for one or two nights, in a standard king room, when available. The rooms are always spotless, and the beds and bedding are very comfortable. If time permits, I make a point to have breakfast during my stay, as the breakfast buffet is fantastic and the staff are very warm and welcoming. I also appreciate that almost every hotel employee makes it a point to greet me with a smile and ask how my stay is going. Whenever I have other colleagues in need of a place to stay, I always point them to the UF Hilton Conference Center.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Man what a great place to stay! Exactly what you would expect from a Hilton property. I have stayed here a couple of times on business and have never been let down. The staff is amazing. I stayed here the first time earlier this year and we had reserved the board room. However we were given a much smaller room. Once the staff realized the mix up they came and got us and helped us move to the right room. The staff makes this hotel. This time, I had 4 major packages shipped to the hotel. All arrived and were handled with care. Rooms are average size but well appointed. Close proximity to the university is an extra benefit. Parking can be a little tricky due to the fact that they stay so busy, but there is plenty of parking spaces. If you stay here go to what the locals call midtown and eat at The Swamp, nice place to hang out and watch a game on their outdoor big screen.

United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed here for 4 days. The hotel was clean and well kept; the beds and linens were particularly comfortable. Staff at the front desk were friendly and check in was quick and easy. Breakfast was pricey but excellent. Unfortunately, a barking dog at the end of the hall in the room next to mine on the 7th floor began to really irritate me. Now this wasn’t a bark here or there, but rather continuous, loud barking. Security was finally called and they had to enter the room to calm the poor dog down. I was told that dogs are not allowed on the 7th floor and that the dog would be removed. Early the next morning, I was again woken up to the barking of this dog. Despite assurances to the contrary, the dog and its owner were never moved. I asked to speak to the manager, Tony Trustee, but was told he was not available. I called Hilton customer service and was directed to their comments page on its website. I submitted my comments – primarily that the hotel is not honoring its own policies on pets. At $500 per night (game day weekend), I should have been afforded the right to relax in tranquility and sleep peacefully. It has been 10 days since I submitted my comments to Hilton and aside from an automatic response upon submission, there has been no follow-up on Hilton’s end. The lack of concern – particularly to a very frequent guest – is disconcerting.

2 Thank kenscoff
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here 3 days while on business at the University of Florida. It is convient to campus (I would guess about 1.5 miles away). The hotel and rooms are modern, clean and well kept. I enjoyed the quiteness very much and my bed/bedding was very good. I had breakfast at the restaurant and the buffet was quite good for the price ($15). I would definitely stay here agian.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Conference Center in Gainesville again this month and we were well treated and well cared for. The rooms are always clean, the hotel grounds are meticulously groomed and the location is perfect for visiting our daughter and her husband. One morning we were searching for coffee and the hotel's chief engineer personally directed me to where the coffee re-fills were and made sure I was able to get into the elevator and select the right floor with my hands occupied with hot cups of coffee! He probably had more mechanical challenges he could have been working on but he made sure that my wife and I had hot coffee to get our day going! It was a nice break from the usual "it's not my job" scenarios most travelers experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family