“Best hotel in Gainesville!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville

Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
New York City, New York
“Best hotel in Gainesville!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I traveled to see my nephew in school. No Ritz Carlton so I booked the only full service hotel in the town! I'm a First class traveler all the way and I usually pay $500 or more for a hotel room everywhere I go. So, when they told me the price of $150 a night I was alittle nervous. It turned out to be a nice place for the area. Great food and bar. I was pleased.
One thing, the parking I did not like because it was a lot behind the hotel and sort of dark!! It could be dangerous around the campus and I saw some" characters" out there. I asked them to valet because of it at night and they did. Nice people and service.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

It's pretty obvious to me that the tub and shower in the bathroom had not been cleaned. There were hairs on the shower walls and on the edges of the tub. Plus there was dried shampoo residue running down the shower wall. Also, water/toothpaste splatter on the bathroom mirror. This is unfortunately, as my first impression of the room was that it was a nice clean room. However, after observing that bathroom I was just left with a gross feeling that the rest of the room probably wasn't very clean either.

I will say that check-in was a quick as I've ever been through. Plus, my room service meal was really speedy, tasty, and the guy who delivered it was really cool. I did sleep really well once the guests in the room beside me shut off their TV (yes, I could hear it clearly through the walls), thankfully this was before midnight. I also really appreciate that there is free parking and free internet (not always the case in full-service hotels).

I do like the decor in the rooms. But, I just can't overlook the housekeeping mis-steps in the bathroom and the fact that they knocked on my door this morning even though I had the "do not disturb" sign out. Perhaps, they should stop being in such a rush and the quality of their work wouldn't suffer so much.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Although I was not one of the hotel customers, when I asked about the shuttle I was supposed to take in front of the hotel, the staff were kind enough to explain where I needed to catch the shuttle and actually gave me a ride to the right spot. I was definitely impressed by their helpful and friendly behavior -and I feel like I could not thank you enough for that. I'd definitely recommend this hotel, which offers even noncustomers a great service.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I had family stay at the Gainesville Hilton several times in the past and it was very fine. But I am writing now about a French conversation group that visits the Hilton twice a month for a meeting in the in the afternoon. It is called the Alliance Francaise. You never know how many people will show up but we are always treated very curteouslyand enjoy our stay there for about 1 1/2 hours when we gather there to speak French. I'm sure some of your waitresses/waiters know who we are. We have been meeting at the Hilton for several years now and I'm sure if we weren't treated courteously and the ambiance wasn't as nice as it is, we would be meeting somewhere else by now. Judy Wilson. Juwilson@cox.net.

I

Room Tip: get there early.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
HiltonUF, General Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Bonjour and Merci!! Thank you so much for your comments. On behalf of all the staff, we are so happy that you enjoy your meetings here and hope that they continue well into the future!

Nanci Haley
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Seldom have I ever slept well in a hotel, but Hilton University, Gainesville broke that cycle. The pillows and matress were wonderful. I wrote down the pillow type before I left, and asked at the front desk what the mattress was. The Assistant at the desk looked it up online and printed it out for me, and not only that, but called her manager to ask if they used the same products as the Hilton website listed. She was VERY helpful. The room was very clean, quiet, and ACCESSIBLE, since I am disabled, it means a lot to have a roll-in shower and be able to reach everything in the room. I highly recommend staying there.

Room Tip: I use Hilton Honors program and AAA discount.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Staff consistently went out of their way to be helpful. Very reasonable rate for Shands Hospital patients. Not your usual university hotel, definitely a cut above.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Mason, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Booked room over month in advance, then drive 15 hrs to be told they are out of rooms & they have called another non Hilton hotel that is less in quality for us to stay.We had even called 4 hrs before we arrived to confirm room & let them know we would be a late arrival. When I asked why they didn't call us to let us know in advance they couldn't respond. We went to other hotel & the person at desk was pleasant but then we find out it's a room for 2 people not the 4 of us. So then had to call Hilton to see if they would take care of another room & begrudgingly they did. The hotel we ended up at was not nearly as nice as the Hilton - very outdated - hate when wallpaper is painted over & hanging off the wall plus zero water pressure. I'm soooo disappointed in Hilton - and I'm a loyal Honors member.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Gators17
HiltonUF, General Manager at Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
On behalf of the staff at Hilton University of Florida, we all apologize for the inconvenience of your relocation this past weekend. We were unaware that we would have an issue when you called or that you would be the guest impacted. This is a situation we rarely find ourselves in and we try to handle the best we can when it does.

The hotel we relocated you to was the only hotel with availability near us and we regret you were unhappy with it. We have taken care of the charges for the rooms where you were sent. As you were traveling on a rewards certificate, those points have also been returned to your Hilton Honors account so that you can use them at a future date.

Again, we truly regret that you were relocated and unable to stay with us during this stay and hope we will have the opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

Nanci Haley