“Great food with good vibe”
Review of Blue Gill

Blue Gill
Ranked #43 of 588 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and her friend had dinner at Blue Gill in April. We had driven by the place a couple times and never noticed it was there. Happy we discovered it as our dinner was very good and we will definitely be back.

We ordered lots of the small plates and one entree. We started with the fried cauliflower which was without doubt the best cauliflower dish I have ever tasted. It had a light crunch on the outside while being slightly tender. The brown butter that was served with it was a nice touch.

We also ordered black-eyed pea salad, tongue and cheek, grouper cheeks and pimento cheese spread.

The salad was large and split between 3 people. Was simple but solid. Could have used more black-eyed peas.

The tongue and cheek was superb with the salad as it was rich and full of flavor. My wife skipped the tongue (more for me) but loved the pork cheek.

The pimento cheese spread brought me back to days spent in southern Georgia. It was spot on for the old southern style recipe. Nothing fancy just keeping true to its roots.

The best dish of the night and honestly one if the best pieces of fish I have had in a long long time was the grouper cheeks. They were lightly dusted and fried then served over lightly dressed mixed greens. The fish was as fresh as possible and the texture and flavor was perfect. It was a special but if they have it I would urge you to order it.

The last dish was the braised lamb which was a success. I had only a few bites as I was so stuffed from the small plates. In those few bites you could taste the richness of the lamb alongside the freshness of green peas. The little dumplings soaked up the delicious sauce perfectly.

Our service was solid and the waiter understood the menu and the dishes well. The ambiance has an industrial feel with exposed ceilings and concrete floor. Not quite what you would expect for a restaurant that specializes in southern style food but it worked.

Very happy that Gainesville has another quality non-chain restaurant to visit. Will be back next time we are in town.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I went there for lunch and the food was overall good. Some pricey items for a lunch menu, but very tasty. I had a duck risotto dish and although it tasted very good, the meat was a bit stiff and hard to cut. Everybody on our table cleaned their plates!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I ate here for a business lunch while I was in Gainesville - it was planned ahead of time by my lunch companions (for whom this is apparently a staple for this type of luncheon).

Please note: I am not a seafood eater (if it lives in the water, it doesn't go in my mouth). Therefore, the menu selections for me were understandably a bit more limited than my companions. That being said, what I ate was solid, though nothing to get very excited about.

The homemade potato chips (appetizer) were tasty - nice and crispy. My one concern with them (and why I ate only one chip) is that I couldn't tell exactly what they were fried in. I have an allergy to peanuts in any form, so peanut oil can be difficult for me because it's relatively tasteless until it becomes too late. Fellow peanut-allergy sufferers beware: several menu items and specials did feature peanuts. To the credit of the restaurant, the server was very explicit when discussing menu items that had peanuts, and the menu also stated their presence as well. Again, since I don't eat seafood and am allergic to peanuts, this was not an ideal dining situation for me.

My fried green tomato taco was not bad - an interesting take on a southern classic. They were a bit bland, and the jalapeño slices on top didn't do much to add flavor, only heat. My lunch companions seemed to enjoy their meals very much. I do commend the place on their use of locally sourced produce/meats/fish.

Overall, I probably wouldn't choose to eat here again, mostly because of dietary preferences/restrictions and the fact that what I did eat was nothing special.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had some good food here recently. I had the Black-eyed Greek salad, and my husband had the Caesar salad. Both very quite fresh and very generous in size. We split the burger which was quite good. My husband was impressed with the beer-on-tap selection. The by-the-glass wine selection was not very extensive.

The restaurant became very loud as more patrons came in. It is a large, open, warehouse-looking space with concrete floors and therefore nothing to absorb the sound.

We would go again since the food quality was good, but it certainly was not the place for a quiet meal.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Rather than go the corporate chain (Outback/Bonefish, etc) we reviewed some local places on Tripadvisor and decided on Blue Gill, based on the good reviews. Though the interior was industrial and quite appealing to us, that's about all that was interesting. Disappointed in not only service, but portion ( advise an appetizer and perhaps a salad as to not walk away hungry) and lack of response to negative feedback given to our server. She was uninterested and did not question. Our "corporate chain" establishments desire a patron's feedback regarding their dissatisfaction and this is greatly appreciated. Always encourage others to make their own judgements as we did...no desire to return here. "Corporate"shines in comparison.