“Beautiful setting, okay food”
Review of The Fat Tuscan - CLOSED

The Fat Tuscan
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Fat Tuscan Cafe is located in the downstairs portion of the completely restored Historic 100 year old plus Vidal House built in 1908. With its warm wood floors and historic features the Fat Tuscan Cafe is the perfect spot for lunching or dinning with friends. The outside Courtyard with its french inspired Lion fountain provides the perfect backdrop for a relaxing experience on nice days. The cafe is located just 8 blocks from downtown Gainesville and is on the edge of the NE Historic District and Beautiful Thomas Center Gardens. We recommend strolling through the neighborhood after dinning.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The decor, both inside and outside, is lovely. I ate in the little courtyard, a pretty oasis off 8th Ave.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful hidden location. Food is reasonably priced and excellent. Sangria isyummy. Can't wait to go back!

1  Thank LezaMueller
Reviewed April 4, 2013

There for lunch with a friend. Delicious soup, salad was less greens and more veggies, but all fresh and tasty. Really like the privacy of the spaces & outside is lovely.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I just had lunch at the Fat Tuscan for the second time. In both cases me and my companion's food was excellent. Both times I sat on the patio where the atmosphere is great. My waitress was excellent - friendly and attentive (despite the fact that we were the only ones seated outside). My only complaint is my salad was a little small for the price. But despite that, I'm rating this as excellent - it is now one of my top few places to go for lunch.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went with a group of eight and were seated promptly at our reserved time. It is a very small restaurant so I would recommend reservations. They may have had an empty table or two but I really don't recall. The food is all locally grown and very fresh. Our drink orders were taken and delivered quickly. They were out of the Pino Grisio so I tried a different wine type I hadn't heard of and it was great.
We ordered about 6 different appetizers to try, their sangria and placed our orders. It was a bit of a wait,about 45 minutes on the appetizers however it was worth it because they were all unique and delicious. Our dinners arrived shortly after that however, the salads were not brought out first so it was kind of everything at the same time. All of the entrees were great. I got the eggplant caprese which was listed under the salads but really should have been in the appetizers if I had not eaten so much of the appetizers then I would have had to order something else as it is not a dinner sized portion at all. Every one else got veal, seafood and beef dishes. Everyone enjoyed their meals and cleaned their plates. I would absolutely go there again when it's not Friday during Lent and I can try one of the meat dishes.