“Casual Lunch”
Review of 101 Cantina - CLOSED

101 Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Description: 101 Cantina is a Mod-Mex Restaurant and tequila bar. Featuring full service lunch, dinner, and late-night menus, 101 Cantina is a chic addition to the mid-town area
Gainesville, Florida
“Casual Lunch”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I came in for lunch the other day and had to sit outside because it was so nice out. What's great about Cantina during the day is the large tiki bar and beach-like atmosphere, it's nice to have a little escape from Gainesville every once in a while.
I chose to sit at the bar and order. I started off with a Shocktop on draft and asked the bartender for recommendations. She said she had most of the wraps and burgers so I went in for the Lava Burger with a side of steak fries. It didn't take long for the food to come out. There was a drizzle of sriracha sauce on the plate to add to the burger if I wanted to. The actual burger was so tasty and the cheese made it all melt together in my mouth. Unfortunately the burger only had some sauteed onions for veggies so I asked the bartender to get me some lettuce and tomatoes, it definitely helped give it an extra crunch I was looking for. The steak fries were huge! Plump and lightly seasoned, only needed ketchup to dip them into.
The bartender was pretty attentive especially since there weren't many customers to take care of at the time.
There was a Gator game on and the volume was up a bit too high to enjoy conversation with my two friends...but the atmosphere balance it out for a casual lunch.

• Visited March 2012

Gainesville, FL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mexican experience just a foot away from the library!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I was a bit skeptical about eating at 101 Cantina after reading all the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised when I ate lunch there this past week! Cantina is right across the library so it was super convenient to just walk across the street for some food. I ordered the taco salad and thought it was fairly good, and not overpriced. The one small downfall was that my meal took a little longer than expected, but the food itself was worth it.

• Visited January 2012
Gainesville, Florida
“Yummm Mexican Foood!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I would definitely recommend Cantina to any mexican food lover. I can't believe I've lived in Gainesville for almost a year and just tried it for the first time. While the wait was a bit long and the music was a little too loud the delicious food made up for it!
At an affordable price, Cantina delivers on quality, and I will for-sure be back there again!

• Visited January 2012
“Great Mexican”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Food was very good with all the expected flavor. Lots of people chilling and drinking so the place was full the whole time.

Try the guac!