“Very Nice Breakfast Restaurant”

The Flying Biscuit Cafe
Ranked #40 of 598 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a little out of th ordinary breakfast food. The different dishes are creative a well presented. The service was very good. The atmosphere was not fancy, but well nice. The prices are on the high side for breakfast. As you can imagine, most dishes are centered around biscuits.

1  Thank Jose R

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went for a late breakfast on a Friday and called ahead for seating for our party of 4, and we still had to wait for a short while to be seated. Even though we were shown to a table by the entrance to the kitchen and it was quite noisy, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The service was very good and the food was exceptional. I was especially happy with the organic, oatmeal pancake and the applewood smoked bacon.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I love the idea of Flying Biscuit The decor is cheerful and cozy. Nice seating area outside, too. But the food just doesn't quite make it. I've been twice--once for breakfast, once for late brunch. The biscuits are fluffy, and the coffee is good. After that...meh. Last weekend, I tried the biscuit pot pie ($9.50) It was two biscuits with a little bit of "pot pie" and most of that was potato. My guests had shrimp and grits--they said the grits were delicious, the shrimp serving skimpy. For breakfast, I had an egg dish that I can't even recall. We waited for almost an hour to be seated for brunch. All waiting is outside. Right across from the Hostess station--two hostesses--there was a coffee and water table. However, there was no coffee or water. You'd think one of the hostesses would notice that people kept coming up and trying to get something to drink..but no, they chatted with each other. Once we sat down, our server brought our beverages, took our order, delivered it...and disappeared. To her credit, we were not charged for the drinks, since they were never refilled. I just can't see the fascination over paying $10 for a breakfast dish that I can't even remember...

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I've eaten at the FBC several times because some of my friends love it but I can't understand why they do. The grits are sweet and so are the biscuits. If you like your grits and biscuits sweet, of course, it's the place for you but I know of no other restaurant with sugar in either dish (for good reason). I tried a BLT and, guess what, the bread was sweet! So, the FBC is pretty sweet but too much for me.

1  Thank wh48fl
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I went for breakfast. We were fortunate to find a seat. I had the Omelette special. She had an egg dish with bacon and the grits. I am in no way a grit fan - but these were delicious! The biscuits had a little sugar on the top and were scratch & delicious! Would definitely go back when in the area!