“One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at!!!!”

WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed May 7, 2014

There are several problems with this hotel, some unacceptable.
First the lack of information at time of booking and, the worst, lack of maintenance, cleanliness and supervision that results in roaches and smoking in the rooms.

We had to go to Gainesville for my step son's graduation. The hotels I would have stayed at were charging insultingly expensive rates so I was willing to go to a hotel that was not in my preferred list two nights.

So we booked at Value Place at Gainesville. Our surprises started at arrivale with the "no maid service" on weekends. No where in our reservation for two nights did it say that. But well, we let it go....

Next the smoking: even though it is supposedly a non smoking facility you can smell cigarrete smoking all over the place... Can you imagine what it is like to be woken up at 3 am because of the smell of cigarrete smoke in your room????? Well, every night we had that terrible experience..... The rrom, the bathroom, everything smelled of cigarrete smoke!

And the worst: we killed THREE ROACHES during our stay..... This is the result of accumulated dirt and lack of cleaning, maintenance and supervision.... No hotel should be allowed to charge $270 dollars for two nights when they offer roaches along side. Someone from the local authorities should make inspections and close it down until they solve all these issues.

I hope this review helps potential guests know what to expect so they can stay away and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Lal6
Property M, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences at our property. All of our guest comments and concerns are important to the Value Place Gainesville staff and we pride ourselves on our core values of: Affordable, Clean, Safe, Simple, and Flexible. At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying and we apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. All of our studio rooms undergo a detailed 99 point cleaning and inspection process prior to being occupied by guest. We also have a Safety Attendant that lives on-site to respond to any safety or maintenance concerns and is available after hours by dialing “500” from your room phone. At Value Place Gainesville, our hotel undergoes routine pest control treatments with one of the most reputable pest control companies in the nation in order to prevent pest sightings by our guests. As an extended stay hotel, the product we offer is a weekly rate, and most often is cheaper than 2 nights in any other hotel in Gainesville during special event weekends. Here at Value Place Gainesville, we pride ourselves on being one of the only hotels in Gainesville that NEVER raises its rates over special event weekends! We also will never kick out an existing guest in order to take in a guest at higher rate over an event weekend. Thanks again for sharing your comments, as they will they allow us to better serve our future guests.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a business owner, all my monthly business trips to Gainesville, 7 to 14 days at a time or longer. I stay at The Value Place Gainesville right off I-75 and Williston Rd. at Exit 382, a great Location for restaurants and shopping and public transportation. The Value Place Gainesville exceeded my expectations. Exceptional customer service and Staff was attentive and accommodating. The staff (management, front desk, and housekeeping) was all fantastic, always greeting with warmly and offered any help that they could and everything always very clean and updated. My stay in the studio one full-size bed, furnishings also include a dresser and nightstand, dining table with two chairs, a sled chair and a color TV, with a modified kitchen, which includes a full-size refrigerator with freezer, a two-burner stovetop, a microwave and plenty of cabinet space. I always consider comfort and security as my priority. As a business owner, I would like to share with you some of the proactive security programs that I notice at Value Place of Gainesville that made me feel safe and secure. Value Place Gainesville well trained hotel staff responsible and accountable for looking after the security and well being of all guests and visitors. Advanced security technologies to facilitate safeguarding your security, such as; integrated surveillance systems, advanced lock and access control systems.
Such a commitment to great customer service is to be commended. You can be sure that I will continue to stay at Value Place Gainesville for years to come. Thank You! Sincerely: Randy / R.S.A.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Randy's S S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay when we spent the week-end in Gainesville for a wedding. Not only was the location convenient, with a lovely outdoor area, the accommodations were clean, comfortable, quiet and everything we needed. The laundry room was large and very nice. And the staff was very professional and helpful. We will look forward our next stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jewelltravels98
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at the Value Place a few times when visiting our sons at University of Florida. It is a great value, clean, with friendly service. The accommodations are basic but have everything you need including a functional kitchenette. I recommend it for anyone looking for an extended stay traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have stayed at the Value Place in Gainesville twice and will definitely be returning in the future. The inn was clean, felt brand new even... Our room was comfortable and large enough for an extended stay. Management was excellent - very responsive to needs and willing to help. We also loved the location - right off the highway and close to UF, Shands, etc., but not in a congested area. We highly recommend the Value Place in Gainesville.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank kurichko
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our son needed a place to stay while his daughter was at Shands Hospital for several weeks. the room was clean and well equipped at a $240.00 per week rate. A few roaches appeared and that is too bad as the rest of the place seemed to be fine. Good security, parking, just off i-75. compared to other choices it was a value. great internet if you need to work from the room. Under a difficult situation, the room met our needs.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank James H
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'd keep looking if you're thinking of staying here. The room was clean enough, we did see a few roaches while we were there for three weeks. The fridge, however, kept leaking some sticky fluid and you could hear water or something running through it very loudly several times a day. Also, the tub didn't drain hardly at all. If you took a shower you were doing it standing in a few inches of water. The AC was nice, only when it was on full blast. For some reason the fan can only be set to on nonstop or auto, so any time the AC isn't actively pumping cold air the fan is blowing in some really hot, humid air from outside so your only option is to go from boggy humidity every fifteen minutes or so to freezing or just keep the AC turned down low enough to freeze you the entire time. Also, we were on a nonsmoking floor and the room absolutely reeked of cigarettes the whole time. We came to the conclusion that they must alternate between smoking and nonsmoking floors, which is a horrible idea. We kind of got the smell to go away somewhat after two weeks of using deodorizing room cones, spraying perfume and lighting candles. There was some sort of weird black residue that seemed to cover everything in the room as well. I'm not sure what that was about but it completely set my allergies off. You could see it all over the bathroom sink and tub if you didn't wipe them down daily. Which brings me to house keeping. Supposedly you're going to get house keeping services every other Tuesday, not that they tell you WHICH Tuesday, but don't expect them to show up anyway. Like I said, we were there for three weeks so we should have seen them at least once. The closest we ever got was someone stopping by once to ask if we needed anything. We did need toilet paper and at least a new tab for the toilet, which they could only give us a roll of toilet paper I guess. So maybe that's their version of house keeping, where the person never actually even enters the room. ALSO. We were buying our own toilet paper but we did run out a couple of times when it would've bee inconvenient to go to the store. The first time we were told house keeping was closed so they couldn't help us. The second we were told to come down to the front desk and pick a roll up. The day of checkout we were told they didn't provide it and we were out of luck. So basically if you're about to leave don't expect to be treated as though you're a customer or valued in any way. On top of all of this nonsense we had tons of problems with our room cards not working. They were fairly nice about resetting them. Repeatedly. The first time we were told that putting the card near a cellphone may have demagnetized it. What the person didn't tell us was that resetting one card could cause the other not to work. So we had to go down there again. This kept happening repeatedly with pretty much all the doors and the front desk kept saying they were getting demagnetized somehow. After two and a half weeks of this crap and getting new cards we finally realised that no, it was nothing we were doing wrong or even the cards going bad, their scanners just suck. Apparently when it refuses to read the card if you fiddle with it by swiping the card quickly a few times and messing with the door handle it will eventually read. If all of this nonsense weren't enough at the end of our stay we had to wait at checkout for them to look over our room, which was fine I guess aside from the fact that I was trying to make a flight. But then they claimed that a few of our towels had been "dyed blue". I will admit they were a slightly different tint than the other towels but my guess would be that it was because those towels were dirty and the others were clean and I had just tossed them all in the basket assuming house keeping would wash them all anyway. So $25 out of my deposit went to that. Not that I've gotten the other $75 of my deposit back even though it's been about 30 hours since I checked out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ink R
VPGainesvillefl, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest: Value Place Gainesville thanks you for taking the time to provide this review. We regret that your experience was less than ideal. We strive to provide an affordable, clean, safe, simple and flexible lodging option for our guests.

Our hotel undergoes routine pest control treatments with one of the most reputable national pest companies and we apologize if pests were present in your room. Please be assured we have looked into the issue and have taken necessary steps to prevent any sightings. We pride ourselves in handling any and all room maintenance requests brought to our attention, the same day. Upon check in each guest receives a bi-weekly cleaning schedule and our cleaning staff strives to provide exceptional service to each studio.

Value Place Gainesville was built in July of 2010 and all new state of the art key card readers were installed. Unfortunately, magnetic forces can deactivate keys and our front office staff works tirelessly to prevent these instances and is available 24 hours to immediately reactive keys.

Also upon check in, guests sign a registration card agreeing to inspect the room for damages and also agreeing to pay for any damages they might cause to the room or its contents. Depending on your bank or credit card processing company, deposits can take up to five business days to reflect on your account.

Again thank you for taking the time to comment.