“Look elsewhere, even if it costs a little more” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75

WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Gainesville
Overland Park, Kansas
“Look elsewhere, even if it costs a little more”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'd keep looking if you're thinking of staying here. The room was clean enough, we did see a few roaches while we were there for three weeks. The fridge, however, kept leaking some sticky fluid and you could hear water or something running through it very loudly several times a day. Also, the tub didn't drain hardly at all. If you took a shower you were doing it standing in a few inches of water. The AC was nice, only when it was on full blast. For some reason the fan can only be set to on nonstop or auto, so any time the AC isn't actively pumping cold air the fan is blowing in some really hot, humid air from outside so your only option is to go from boggy humidity every fifteen minutes or so to freezing or just keep the AC turned down low enough to freeze you the entire time. Also, we were on a nonsmoking floor and the room absolutely reeked of cigarettes the whole time. We came to the conclusion that they must alternate between smoking and nonsmoking floors, which is a horrible idea. We kind of got the smell to go away somewhat after two weeks of using deodorizing room cones, spraying perfume and lighting candles. There was some sort of weird black residue that seemed to cover everything in the room as well. I'm not sure what that was about but it completely set my allergies off. You could see it all over the bathroom sink and tub if you didn't wipe them down daily. Which brings me to house keeping. Supposedly you're going to get house keeping services every other Tuesday, not that they tell you WHICH Tuesday, but don't expect them to show up anyway. Like I said, we were there for three weeks so we should have seen them at least once. The closest we ever got was someone stopping by once to ask if we needed anything. We did need toilet paper and at least a new tab for the toilet, which they could only give us a roll of toilet paper I guess. So maybe that's their version of house keeping, where the person never actually even enters the room. ALSO. We were buying our own toilet paper but we did run out a couple of times when it would've bee inconvenient to go to the store. The first time we were told house keeping was closed so they couldn't help us. The second we were told to come down to the front desk and pick a roll up. The day of checkout we were told they didn't provide it and we were out of luck. So basically if you're about to leave don't expect to be treated as though you're a customer or valued in any way. On top of all of this nonsense we had tons of problems with our room cards not working. They were fairly nice about resetting them. Repeatedly. The first time we were told that putting the card near a cellphone may have demagnetized it. What the person didn't tell us was that resetting one card could cause the other not to work. So we had to go down there again. This kept happening repeatedly with pretty much all the doors and the front desk kept saying they were getting demagnetized somehow. After two and a half weeks of this crap and getting new cards we finally realised that no, it was nothing we were doing wrong or even the cards going bad, their scanners just suck. Apparently when it refuses to read the card if you fiddle with it by swiping the card quickly a few times and messing with the door handle it will eventually read. If all of this nonsense weren't enough at the end of our stay we had to wait at checkout for them to look over our room, which was fine I guess aside from the fact that I was trying to make a flight. But then they claimed that a few of our towels had been "dyed blue". I will admit they were a slightly different tint than the other towels but my guess would be that it was because those towels were dirty and the others were clean and I had just tossed them all in the basket assuming house keeping would wash them all anyway. So $25 out of my deposit went to that. Not that I've gotten the other $75 of my deposit back even though it's been about 30 hours since I checked out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ink R
VPGainesvillefl, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: Value Place Gainesville thanks you for taking the time to provide this review. We regret that your experience was less than ideal. We strive to provide an affordable, clean, safe, simple and flexible lodging option for our guests.

Our hotel undergoes routine pest control treatments with one of the most reputable national pest companies and we apologize if pests were present in your room. Please be assured we have looked into the issue and have taken necessary steps to prevent any sightings. We pride ourselves in handling any and all room maintenance requests brought to our attention, the same day. Upon check in each guest receives a bi-weekly cleaning schedule and our cleaning staff strives to provide exceptional service to each studio.

Value Place Gainesville was built in July of 2010 and all new state of the art key card readers were installed. Unfortunately, magnetic forces can deactivate keys and our front office staff works tirelessly to prevent these instances and is available 24 hours to immediately reactive keys.

Also upon check in, guests sign a registration card agreeing to inspect the room for damages and also agreeing to pay for any damages they might cause to the room or its contents. Depending on your bank or credit card processing company, deposits can take up to five business days to reflect on your account.

Again thank you for taking the time to comment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My parents (both in their mid 80’s) needed a place to stay while their furniture was moved across country to their new home. They both have mobility and health issues, and I was a bit nervous about their plans to stay in the cheapest motel they could find. And then have to eat out every day.

Well, we discovered Value Place and they stayed there for ten days and it was wonderful. The building is new and has excellent security features. The unit was incredibly clean. Bathroom was roomy and well designed (their unit had grab bars which are essential for my parents). Kitchen was clean and bright and had everything they needed to prepare meals. They stayed in one of the units that have one bed and one convertible sofa, so they had a comfortable place to sit & watch TV at night. And the staff were universally friendly and helpful.

I am so very grateful that my elderly parents had a secure and comfortable and affordable place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Drubrite
Boquete, Panama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was in Gainesville for 3 weeks to help our daughter with newborn twins and incorporate Shands Physical therapy into the visit. The hotel was clean, but my room was infested with roaches. No one seemed to care. They alleged that the entire floor had been sprayed a few days prior so was hesitant to have them fumigate this room again. I did ask that they spray around the door since I had seen numerous roaches around the door frame. Daily I cleaned out dead roaches from underneath the counter. I mentioned this but it was not followed up on.
Had no problems with noise and saw no police or security problems.
They are supposed to clean your room after 2 weeks. After one week my room was entered and the bathroom was cleaned, but the bed not changed or made, nor was the trash emptied. Fortunately, I had no trouble keeping things tidy as wanted to keep the bugs at bay.
I travel a great deal and stayed here as it was a convenient location and I needed a kitchen.
On the plus side, water was wonderfully hot, air and heat worked great. Brought everything that was needed so no surprises, as web site prepared me well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank casaarcoiris
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I travel for a living and have been using Value Place for most of the time until today. I had not been in my room for 5 days and when I returned from a family vacation my room was locked out. They let me in and I went to work. I returned that afternoon to find the A/C cover off and the bed head board lying on my bed. I called the front desk and the manager needed to talk to me. When I met with him I almost went in to shock. He stated that they had found a 1 dead bed bug in my room on the back of the head board & that I would have to check out (not to another room out of the hotel) blaming me for bring this to their location. I was appalled at the thought that management would treat a long time customer like this and also putting the blame on me. He stated that house keeping makes a thorough inspection prior to anyone’s arrival. Housekeeping just found this when they were to clean my room when I was on vacation. The bath room still had soap scum on the shower walls there was a toaster left in the room when I checked in (not so thorough Needles to say I have checked out and will never stay at a value place again. So if you are at this location check the room very well before you check in. Where there is one bed bug there are more

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Arlen S
Madrid, Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

The hotel is really clean and I did not have the experiences other guess are reporting. It is quite close to the supermarket, and that's a huge plus!. The police didn't show-up at all during my time there. I also did not witnessed anything disturbing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jlgomez30
Agawam, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I also stayed here for 3 weeks in March and witnessed many of the things that Big D mentioned in the review. The police were there for several hrs. one day and it appeared they were evicting someone. This is an economy option, not a business class hotel. It attracts blue collar workers that need to be based in the area for a period of time. The base cost does not include any of the amenities such as wifi, linen exchange, etc. These are all extras. Your room is only cleaned every other week. If you want it cleaned more often that cost is addl. or you do it yourself. You basically stay in what I would consider a college dorm type room with a kitchenette. You need to either bring pots, pans etc or they will sell you a set. This goes for a coffee maker also. The bed is on a platform with storage underneath and no box spring. Not very comfortable. There is a small table where you can eat and/or set up a laptop. There are individuals and families that actually live there and others just staying there for a short period like myself. It is a convenient location right off Rt.75 and close to shopping and restaurants. The room was clean and so were the hallways and grounds. There is a laundry area on site. The staff was somewhat responsive and I would give them a C for customer service. I had noisy people above me and had to call security on two different occasions in the middle of the night. When I mentioned it to the front desk they said they were aware of the problem but I felt they did little to resolve it. As mentioned in the previous review if I were to return to the area I would probably spend more money to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the Rt 75 off ramp side of the property are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lifecycles
VPGainesvillefl, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Value Place Gainesville thanks you for taking the time to provide this review. We regret that your experience was less than ideal. We strive to provide a clean, safe and affordable lodging option for our guests. To ensure that safe experience it was, sadly, necessary to have the police assist in removing a guest during your stay.

We do have a wide variety of individuals and families that stay with us. Many of these guests are families of patients at Shands, the VA Hospital or other medical facilities. Some are vacationers, others in construction. Like most of us, these guests are price-conscious and want to save money whenever possible.

Our pricing is based under the assumption that not every guest will need or use every amenity. The bi-weekly housekeeping has worked well for most of our guests and by not automatically including the costs of daily service in our pricing we are able to provide a much lower rate than our competitors. As you are aware, the amenities that many hotels advertise as “free” are actually built into the price of the room. Currently, a comparable hotel in the Gainesville area with “free” wifi and “free” breakfast would cost approximately $412 for a 7 night stay as compared to our cost of $262 which would include the wifi and linen exchange service.

Thank you again for your review. We will certainly take it to heart and hope you may consider staying with us again if your travels bring you to the Gainesville area.
Shawnee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

After being a resident for approx. 1 mth. while on business, This place headed south quickly with the type of long termers they were harboring. After witnessing on numerous occasions what appeared to be drug deals and prostitution all the while under the "video survellience" they claim to have, I was met at my door by one of the employees who told me to get back in my room with my drink. In my 30+ yrs of traveling, this was a first for me. You have nothing to do at this place because there is no pool, the internet is horrible, and it's in the middle of the woods not close to anything. I will never stay in another Value Place again. If you don't mind illegal immigrants by the van loads,apperent drug deals going down across the hall from you, and apperent prostitution that they turn there back too, You will feel right at home. Just remember not to take a beer outside while you talk to your family on the phone because that's against the rules.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Big D
VPGainesvillefl, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Value Place Gainesville is thankful for the review you have provided. Value Place takes the safety of our guests seriously and requires that while on property, all guests obey the laws of the land, and the rules of the Value Place Brand, or they will immediately be removed. Unfortunately, there are visitors who chose to violate the law and during your stay with us, the police were called, due to a guest incident. The guest was removed from the hotel property immediately. Value Place Gainesville does not tolerate illegal activity and takes appropriate action to protect the safety of our guests and team members. As a part of this commitment to safety, every adult guest must register at the front desk and sign an Occupancy Agreement that explains our rules and requirements. In addition to scanning each guest’s license/valid photo ID, we check names against the Family Watchdog/Sex Offender database—and we don’t know of anyone else who takes such important precautionary steps to help ensure the safety of guests.

As for the drink mentioned, there are children staying at our property and open containers of alcohol in common areas are not allowed. Our team members are trained to provide a safe and enjoyable hotel and by notice to you of the open container policy, this does confirm Value Place is serious about enforcing precautions towards safety. Many guests prefer our I-75 and Williston Rd. location because traffic is never an issue getting to and from our property.

Value Place aims to make things right for each guest. Please allow us to speak with you further and call the hotel manager at 352.672.6008. Your comments are most appreciated and we wish to confirm our commitment to you, our valued guest.

VP Gainesville Management