“Worst Ever”

Motel 6 Gainesville
Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were stuck with last-minute tickets to a Gator game and needed a place to stay. We should have driven to Ocala.
As a former hotel industry employee and now a frequent worldwide business traveler, I can say with supreme confidence that THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN, including my cheap college days.
We had 2 rooms. My friend in the other was a doctor. He said he wished that he had that forensic instrument that identifies blood/urine and other bodily fluids so that he could identify what he took pictures of to show us. His chairs had dried fluids on them, the room had live bugs.
Our room had dirty towels delivered (fresh), live bugs and other filth. The bathroom was so dirty my wife refused to shower. If we had seen these rooms in the daylight we would not have stayed.
In fairness, the air conditioner did work and the employees were friendly. The rooms were quiet since we were about the only people there and this was on a football weekend.
Please don't be fooled by the other reviews, the first was obviously written by someone from outside the United States who may not be aware of the standards for acceptable rooms in the US. The other reviewer was desperate.
I have never written a review like this in my life and I have no personal ax to grind with this hotel. We stayed there 3 weeks ago and have been trying to contact the "America's Best Value Inn" franchise. We told them of our experience and have received no reply except to say that they were out of the office and would get back to us.
Because of this hotel specifically and the lack of a response, it might not be a leap to say you should avoid all 'America's Best Value Inns".
Sleep in your car before you go anywhere this hotel, or drive to Ocala or Lake City.

Room Tip: There may not be a good room in this hotel. The pictures represented nothing that we saw.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Steven J, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

We thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback given about your stay at our property. I would like to apologize for the experience that you had. We definitely welcome input from our valued guests, in order to get better we must know where we have fallen short. Our commitment to cleanliness and friendliness is paramount and we will strive to be the very best. We are in the continued process of updating, upgrading and renovating our property. If you travel brings you back to the Gainesville, FL area please give us another change in the future.

Regards,
Steven Jairam
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2013

rooms were very clean front desk very professional and even though i did not have the coupon that i seen they still offered the discount. Very good hotel will return. pool was nice and clean room was very well clean and a/c was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Steven J, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for the great feedback about your stay it our goal to ensure your satisfaction!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife was in the Shands hospital for 6 days. The staff at this hotel were so nice and warm. I didn't know what length of stay I would need. My wife had a major operation and didn't know how long she would be in the hospital so I booked 5 days at a very good rate. I have also stayed at the Red Roof Inn previously which was also nice but a lot more money and I didn't see a difference in the room. The staff made it feel like home and they honored my rate that I booked on the site as I had to extend my stay 2 more days. I would say that my only complaint is finding the place. It was just purchased by the company as it was previously another hotel chain so they didn't have a sign. In fact if we didn't spot someone driving behind the BP gas station we were about to look for another hotel. Glad we didn't! I stay in timeshare and am quite accustomed to certain life style when I travel but was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank john d d

Thank you for the wonderful comments about your stay. We are improving the exterior lighting and have recently installed the large highway and street signs. We hope to see you again in the futire on a more relaxing visit!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

If you’re planning to get a room at a Motel 6 just for sleeping purposes, then I can honestly say it’s worth checking out. You get what you pay for but it’s really not that bad. It is conveniently located close to the highway and within walking distance of an Ihop, Olive Garden, Taco Bell and Wendy´s among others..The overall service however was disastrous. The man at the check-in counter was disrespectful and rude. Besides that, it was tolerable.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor. It´s always a hassle to carry your heavy bags up the stairs...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rodrigo A
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We needed an inexpensive pet-friendly room for the night and usually have great success with Motel 6. However, this must be one of their oldest hotels (?) The room smelled very stale and funky but I guess my nose got used to it. They put two double beds in the room we were in...one was pushed up against the front wall and air conditioner, the other against the far wall, with about 18" in between. The A/C on low blew in my face when I was on the far bed, so I had to pile the bedspreads and extra pillows (I brought my own) up in front of it so I didn't have air blowing in my face. No microwave or frig. Wifi wouldn't give me access. Fortunately the bed was comfortable and the shower had incredible water pressure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this place for two nights with my husband and son because it was the only place left in town with a room that didn't cost a fortune, and it can be summed up in one word: either "blech" or "disgusting". We had to leave a night early because my son was ill, and I didn't even attempt to get my money back for the unused night since the front desk staffer had already told me she couldn't refund anything at the desk when I found I was being overcharged on the rate I had been promised on booking.com. Didn't have it in me to battle it out after two sleepless nights at this place. The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in (no space to even include a small table and two chairs), smelled unbelievably of mildew, had stains on the mattress (Blood? Fecal matter? Couldn't tell...), stains on the pillows, stains on the blankets and stains on the bedspreads. When I went to the front desk with the sandpaper quality blanket that I discovered was not stained, but actually dirty, she acted annoyed at first, as thought it was pickiness. When I SHOWED her why I wanted a new blanket, she changed her tune. The bed was made so poorly (obviously pure laziness on the part of the housekeeping staff) that half of the mattress pad wasn't even covering the actual mattress (which is how I found that the mattress was stained - when I pulled back the sheet to investigate, grossed out at the idea of sleeping on simply a sheet over a mattress, I saw it had brown stains). There was no mini fridge so we wound up losing all the food we'd brought for our car trip, and there were no tissues, no shampoo, tiny towels like burlap sacks that smelled overwhelmingly of bleach, about a wildly generous half roll of toilet paper, and only two tiny bars of soap. And have I mentioned that they were the two worst beds I have ever slept on? It was like sleeping in a hammock. There's no place to sit in the lobby while you are ignored to allow them to continue their obviously personal calls, the poorest, stingiest set up for coffee, etc...just depressing and disgusting. They don't even offer Wi-Fi unless you pay for it. Who does that in this day and age?!? Don't stay here unless your only other choice is the Bambi Motel. Better to pitch a tent in a park or sleep in your car, even if it's a motorcyle. The place attracts a million lowlifes - was completely creeped out the whole time we were there. Have spent many a night on the road between South Florida and Chicago in a Motel 6, and though they may not be a luxury hotel, and perhaps even slightly run down, they don't usually make me want to run the other way - they are usually just a clean and decent inexpensive place to stay. After this, though, I would never stay at a Motel 6 again anywhere because they allow this place to be run in this manner - they've lost my trust and patronage.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah L
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Sarah L - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant stay you had as a result of the cleanliness, comfort and odor issues you experienced, as well as the bedding conditions you encountered. These issues are certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality. We kindly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Motel 6 is an alright hotel certainly serves it purpose as a place to lay your head for a night and get on the freeway in secs. The SMELLY rooms are awful and they let pets stay in ALL rooms so you always find pet hair on your clothes. {not sure how often they wash the brown sheets} but I never sleep on hotel big comforters anyway. Friendly desk staff is a plus the rooms are disgusting and do those "housekeepers" {and I did quote an use it Loosely} really expect tips if the rooms are looking like rent a hour spots! and the senseless management {Independent owners I like to foreigners} doesn't even inspect them so filthy showers curtin insides,half cleaned bathrooms and broken down furniture. Beyond suspect looking workman running around and I don't get the $2.99 for wifi that's ridiculous the list could go on your question will I go go back....NEGATIVE!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family